Locomotion Models announce 'Hardwicke' Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

• Moderators

The partnership of Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield will today (12th November 2020) at 1200 (Noon) announce a new ready to run locomotive. This model has never previously been available in ready to run form in OO Scale.

The announcement would normally have been made in front of invited guests but unfortunately the current situation resulted in us having to seek alternative ways of communicating this exciting news to you.

We are delighted that Hornby Magazine volunteered to film the announcement for us and you can come back at 1200 to see us reveal what the partnership of Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield will be producing next in conjunction with Bachmann Europe Plc.

We look forward to you joining us.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Round of applause 3

• AY Mod changed the title to Locomotion models - Video announcement at noon
  • Moderators

NEW OO LOCOMOTIVE SETS A PRECEDENT

The partnership of Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield has today (12th November 2020) announced that they have commissioned Bachmann Europe Plc to produce a brand new OO scale model of the London & North Western Railway Improved Precedent Class 2-4-0 locomotive. This locomotive has never been released before as a ready to run OO Scale product and is currently at the livery approval stage, with delivery expected next Summer. 

Prototype Information
Technological improvements prompted the LNWR‘s CME F. W. Webb to replace 96  of the 6’6” Curved Link ‘Newtons’ and 62 of the 6’6” Straight Link ‘Precedents’ with locomotives featuring thicker frames and 150 PSI boilers. These emerged between 1887 and 1901 and became known as ‘Improved Precedents’. Though new, an accountancy contrivance meant they were considered ‘renewals’ and kept the names and numbers of the locomotives they replaced.

Gaining the nickname ‘Jumbos’ or ’Big/Large Jumbos’ because of their performance, withdrawals of the ‘Improved Precedents’ started in 1905 with the London, Midland and Scottish Railway inheriting 76 at the 1923 grouping. The last was withdrawn in 1934.

No. 790 ‘Hardwicke’ was the only example to be preserved in 1931, having become famous during the ‘Races to the North’ in 1895. It ran between Crewe and Carlisle at an average of 67¼ MPH, a record which stood for 40 years thus assuring ‘Hardwicke’ a place in British railway history. Another member of the Class No. 955 ‘Charles Dickens’ clocked up over 2 million miles, another record for a steam locomotive that has never been beaten.

The model
The OO Scale model has been developed for Locomotion Models and Rails of Sheffield by Bachmann Europe Plc.

The model incorporates a die-cast body and chassis with a set of optional traction tyre-fitted driving wheels for increased haulage capacity – (crankpin tools and spare traction tyres will be available via Bachmann Stockists). 

The model features a coreless motor, with power pick up from both the locomotive and tender wheels. Mounted inside the tender is a 21 Pin DCC decoder socket and a 11mm x 15mm ‘sugar cube’ speaker. 

All versions feature a fully detailed back-head whilst there are numerous tooling options enabling the accurate portrayal of specific locomotives during the chosen time period. Two boiler types are modelled, either with or without wash-out plugs, and both cowled Ramsbottom Safety Valves and Ross Pop Safety Valves have been catered for.

There is a representation of the inside motion whilst the front driving wheels can be modelled with either leaf or coil springing as the prototype dictates. Options are also available for plain or fluted coupling rods. Two whistle variants can be seen covering a single whistle on the roof, or two whistles on locos where alarm gear is fitted.
A working fall plate between loco and tender is provided whilst the locomotive can have either Webb or Cook style buffers and two types of lamp bracket are modelled – LNWR lamp sockets or the LMS style lamp irons.

Four exclusive edition locomotives are being produced as follows: 

For Locomotion Models

LNWR ‘Hardwicke’ No. 790 in LNWR Black (Pristine) as preserved as part of the National Collection. Currently on display at Locomotion, Shildon  

Hardwicke.jpg

For Rails of Sheffield
No. 1673 Lucknow’ in LNWR Black livery

No. 5036 ‘Novelty’ in LMS Crimson livery

No. 5018  ‘Talavera’ in LMS Black livery

See 

The recommended retail price of the model is £220 and can be pre-ordered now with a deposit of £30 from www.locomotionmodels.com for ‘Hardwicke’ in preserved condition whilst ‘Lucknow’, ‘Novelty’ and ‘Talavera’ will be available through www.railsofsheffield.com 

• Like 16

• AY Mod changed the title to Locomotion Models announce 'Hardwicke' Improved Precedent Class
  • AY Mod unlocked this topic
16 minutes ago, PMP said:

Another indication that perhaps pre group is now the ‘thing’...

Yes, for sure. But mostly only the locomotives. I hope the choices for pré-grouping coaches will also increase.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I was hoping this would happen. Having helped in small way with restoring the engine to steam at Carnforth with the late Tony Chalmers in the 1970's Hardwicke is simply a must have. So an order placed. It should look well leaving Windermere with a train of Hattons new coaches. Something to look forward to in 2021

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, jburgt said:

Yes, for sure. But mostly only the locomotives. I hope the choices for pré-grouping coaches will also increase.

Hattons are doing their best to encourage us. If and when sales of those are seen to take off, the 'real thing' may start to emerge too. Pre-Grouping has been in the RTR shadows for a long time. We shouldn't expect it to emerge into sunlight all at once. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

At last and much awaited by some of us who dropped more than a gentle hint a long time ago about including 'Hardwicke' in the NRM In Miniature range of models. And for no more than the cost of the 9 wagons which i have just ordered from another concern.

Not entirely out of place for me but definitely out of timespan but who cares - money will inevitably go where mouth has been for a. good long time.  it looks absolutely delectable and Bachmann look to have done an excellent job.  It's going to look great even if any coaches behind it are most likely going to be generic rather than folk using the ex--Ratio LNWR kits

Only one question - is the front end NEM pocket removable without resorting to cutting equipment?

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 2

Oh it's arrived, the secret Hatton's let out of the bag.  Thought it might be a Locomotion project given Hardwicke is in the NRM.

Excellent news, I'll be in for a few for my next LMS project.  I would be tempted to renumber/rename one to "Sister Dora", I know she had 3" smaller driving wheels but if you can spot 1mm too much driving wheel on a model then go for it.  Hopefully the cottage suppliers will be busy researching suitable names for the class, they had some absolute crackers adorning their splashers.

• Like 3

• Moderators
1 minute ago, wombatofludham said:

I would be tempted to renumber/rename one to "Sister Dora"

Good local connection there; stuff and mount on a plinth outside Wednesford station?

• Like 5

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Why the white roof? from what I can see of the real thing, she has a black roof...

The museum loco has a white roof; that's why the model does.

Just now, AY Mod said:

Good local connection there; stuff and mount on a plinth outside Wednesford station?

Actually I was thinking one for the next project, a North Wales themed ex LNWR terminus, with a nice rake of Hattons LNWR "generics" as an excursion train.  I was also thinking it would look nice on Dolgellau showing the copper kettle types what a proper railway who don't name their locos after their mate's summer holiday homes looks like.

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

• RMweb Gold

Two threads to watch, this will be fun! I have a very wonky poor slide I took with my Dad’s camera from seeing it at Rainhill and it’s been a favourite since then. Only thing is now I have Coal Tanks and a Precedent how do I avoid another layout?! ;) 

• Like 2

As it was an express passenger locomotive it would most have mostly hauled bogies of LNWR, LMS and even BR blue/grey Mark Ones when running in the late 1970s/early 1980s. The Ratio kits are perfect for it.

I had a cab ride on the real one at Dinting in about 1980 so I'll probably buy Hardwicke as a minimum.

Carriages. Apart from Ratio try Wizard as he has the old Chowbent range. Some are OOS stock at the moment, but I think that's down to supplier problems.

Jason

21 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

The museum loco has a white roof; that's why the model does.

Thanks. I've just looked closely at pics of Flickr of 790 at Shildon and yes it does. When did it gain this? It certainly didn't during its period on the mainline in the 1970s/80s based on pictures available.

34 minutes ago, wombatofludham said:

Oh it's arrived, the secret Hatton's let out of the bag.  Thought it might be a Locomotion project given Hardwicke is in the NRM.

I wouldn't say Hatton's let it out of the bag. Its fairly straight forwards to guess the logical what-would-be popular locomotives for entry into pre-grouping and some of these have now been made or announced. In fact Rails are slowly ticking them off... one by one... 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Thanks. I've just looked closely at pics of Flickr of 790 at Shildon and yes it does. When did it gain this? It certainly didn't during its period on the mainline in the 1970s/80s based on pictures available.

I can't be specific on things like dates. But I think it was for something to do with an exhibition on Royal Trains at York. Possibly in the 1990s.

ISTR they had both Gladstone and Hardwicke in full Royal Train condition. Then they swapped Hardwicke for 5000.

I have a vague memory that Hardwicke was looked at for a return to steam but it never happened.

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport