Locomotion Models announce 'Hardwicke' Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

7 minutes ago, 7013 said:

Wonderful names on this class so much better than some of today’s efforts 

If people are looking for alternatives, Brian at 247 Developments does them and will do commissions. I've got a couple of the LNWR plates and they are excellent.

http://www.247developments.co.uk/PRE_GROUPING_1.html

Jason

• Like 1

When I got the email from Bachmann/saw this post on RMWeb this morning, I was mentally mapping out possible locos that fitted the criteria (never before doen in RTR) and would commercially work. I did include Hardwicke on my list, along with LMS 2500, Gladstone and the J52

Longer shots would have been: Henry Oakley (but probably too similar to Large Atlantic), Puffing Billy, and Coppernob (limited timeframe in modelling terms), Aerolite, Thundersley. It is quite impressive how much of the collection has now been made RTR to date!

I could well see Gladstone being made by Locomotion as it fits into the 'pre grouping express engine' theme started by the Stirling Single and continued by Hardwicke....

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Moderators

Only ten years left to tick all these off for the 50th anniversary of the Rocket 150 cavalcade. ;)

Novelty
Sans Pareil
Lion
Midland Spinner
Lanky saddletank
WD 2-10-0

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 1

11 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

When I got the email from Bachmann/saw this post on RMWeb this morning, I was mentally mapping out possible locos that fitted the criteria (never before doen in RTR) and would commercially work. I did include Hardwicke on my list, along with LMS 2500, Gladstone and the J52

Longer shots would have been: Henry Oakley (but probably too similar to Large Atlantic), Puffing Billy, and Coppernob (limited timeframe in modelling terms), Aerolite, Thundersley. It is quite impressive how much of the collection has now been made RTR to date!

I could well see Gladstone being made by Locomotion as it fits into the 'pre grouping express engine' theme started by the Stirling Single and continued by Hardwicke....

One other that I'm amazed hasn't been "done" yet; the GER Buckjumper.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Black Hat said:

I wouldn't say Hatton's let it out of the bag. Its fairly straight forwards to guess the logical what-would-be popular locomotives for entry into pre-grouping and some of these have now been made or announced. In fact Rails are slowly ticking them off... one by one... 

Don't forget that it is a Rails/Locomotion joint project - apart of the synergy that comes from that tie-up in that it makes development money available to the NRM for models on their list and which they can share with Rails to widen the market and access commercial; capital investment.

It's long been a logical one for the NRM to go for so eventually they were going to get round to it.  You can no doubt add another 4 coupled passenger engine they will, hopefully, get round to one day.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Only ten years left to tick all these off for the 50th anniversary of the Rocket 150 cavalcade. ;)

Novelty
Sans Pareil
Lion
Midland Spinner
Lanky saddletank
WD 2-10-0

There’s always one who turns it into a wish list ...  :)

• Like 1
  • Funny 16

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Merlin242 said:

I was hoping this would happen. Having helped in small way with restoring the engine to steam at Carnforth with the late Tony Chalmers in the 1970's Hardwicke is simply a must have. So an order placed. It should look well leaving Windermere with a train of Hattons new coaches. Something to look forward to in 2021

Your efforts were certainly appreciated! Had her for haulage piloting 4472 from Carnforth to Ulverston on the Merchant Venturer in May 76.

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

As it was an express passenger locomotive it would most have mostly hauled bogies of LNWR, LMS and even BR blue/grey Mark Ones when running in the late 1970s/early 1980s. The Ratio kits are perfect for it.

I had a cab ride on the real one at Dinting in about 1980 so I'll probably buy Hardwicke as a minimum.

Carriages. Apart from Ratio try Wizard as he has the old Chowbent range. Some are OOS stock at the moment, but I think that's down to supplier problems.

Jason

The above tour used a St Phillips Marsh excursion set... mostly SO and FO with a brake ... and Gresley Buffet W9135E

2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I can't be specific on things like dates. But I think it was for something to do with an exhibition on Royal Trains at York. Possibly in the 1990s.

ISTR they had both Gladstone and Hardwicke in full Royal Train condition. Then they swapped Hardwicke for 5000.

I have a vague memory that Hardwicke was looked at for a return to steam but it never happened.

Jason

Yes reckon you are right Jason. IIRC she went to Bridgnorth for assessment but any notion of restoration to steam ended when a boiler inspectors hammer went through the barrel during testing....

Ah it was Cornwall... see below for correction 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This is brilliant news and I'm quite tempted to invest in the LMS plain black version myself. 

Coming from Northamptonshire I realised the Precedent's worked around and were shedded at Northampton so I did a bit of personal research into them previously. 

Thankfully L. Hanson and W J S Meredith amongst others help to capture the class in service. 

The books by Coleman & Rajczonek Steam Nostalgia around Northampton (1987) and Railway Images Around Northamptonshire (1992) are good sources of LNWR period steam evolving into LMS/BR days. A must have read for Northamptonshire railway enthusiasts. 

I've asked the permission of Andy before posting them but think they may be of inspiration and wallet opening properties... ;)

Those Hattons coaches will go very well with them... :D

Precursor Class

5031 Hardwicke

Nice cooling tower behind... ;)

Precursor Class

Precursor Class

Precedent

Precedent

A lovely class of engine with graceful lines. 

It certainly deserves to be a success. 

Cheers, 

Mark 

Edited by 46444
  • Like 12
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

It's long been a logical one for the NRM to go for so eventually they were going to get round to it.  You can no doubt add another 4 coupled passenger engine they will, hopefully, get round to one day.

Except the NRM Collection / Bachmann appears not to do North Eastern... 

Edited by The Black Hat
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's the way to sell a model. Kept under wraps until almost ready.

None of this ' announce today, then wait five years '.

How refreshing to see a fully liveried, running model as a first glimpse.

A bit like the 1960's, when it appeared in the catalogue, it was for sale in the shops.

In this case not long to wait.

Well done Rails, NRM and Bachmann!.

• Agree 5

5 minutes ago, Phil Bullock said:

Yes reckon you are right Jason. IIRC she went to Bridgnorth for assessment but any notion of restoration to steam ended when a boiler inspectors hammer went through the barrel during testing....

That was Cornwall in the late 1970s at the SVR.

Hardwicke was running on the mainline until about 1982. Then spent a time on display at York. It was due to go somewhere for a return to steam (ELR?) and it was cancelled for some reason mostly likely lack of funds. This was about the time City Of Truro was returned to steam in the 2000s.

Many other locomotives which were planned to steam were also affected such as 6229 and 4771. 

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, trevor7598 said:

A bit like the 1960's, when it appeared in the catalogue, it was for sale in the shops.

The “normal” way of Bachmann announcements was a call for a new model and waiting a long, long time towards production. Here, the same Bachmann is involved in a project comming to production in about 6 months. Curious. 

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

Except the NRM Collection appears not to do North Eastern... 

Yes - 1621 and her sisters would be a good follow-up in 2022, keeping up the “Race to the North” theme! They would also work in a variety of liveries.

Richard

PS “when are they going to do it in n gauge?” - oh, hang on, Union Mills.... (yes, I know the UM one is a D20 not a D17)

Edited by RichardT
Adding something
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

9 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

To be fair, Bachmann have done this with a lot of the NRM Collection releases. The prototype Deltic model took just about everyone by surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, jburgt said:

Here, the same Bachmann is involved in a project comming to production in about 6 months. Curious. 

Apart from the fact that there's been several years of research, design, EP sample checking, decoration planning and more checking going on behind the scenes - it's just that they didn't say anything of it as it's the way the museum prefer to bring a project to fruition. All models take roughly the same amount of time. No-one can go start to finish in 6 months.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, The Black Hat said:

To be fair, Bachmann have done this with a lot of the NRM Collection releases. The prototype Deltic model took just about everyone by surprise. 

For me that's the way it should be. Nothing worse than an announcement that's really exciting,

then the long wait with few if any updates, and money spent on something else in the meantime.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, jburgt said:

The “normal” way of Bachmann announcements was a call for a new model and waiting a long, long time towards production. Here, the same Bachmann is involved in a project comming to production in about 6 months. Curious. 

Not really.

Bachmann made it clear around a year ago that their whole strategy had changed and we would only get to hear of 'new' items a few months before they were released. Witness the recent Bachmann / EFE announcement with everything mentioned due within the next 3 - 6 months.

This latest announcement from Rails is simply a continuation of the policy.

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, trevor7598 said:

For me that's the way it should be.

That’s the way you like it but if someone’s on a tight budget with a young family or had to take a lower paid job after this year 12-18 months to save up for treats like that can be very useful ;) 

I know plenty of people who model on a tight budget and plan their purchases a year or two ahead. 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

What a super looking model of a rather lovely prototype.

We already have too many locos for Narrow Road, especially for the express trains. We even have the little cousin the "Whitworth" built from a London Road kit.

One of these might be hard to resist!

As we are modelling the very early LMS period, the red one might be nice. But I do like the LNWR livery too. Choices, choices!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Apart from the fact that there's been several years of research, design, EP sample checking, decoration planning and more checking going on behind the scenes - it's just that they didn't say anything of it as it's the way the museum prefer to bring a project to fruition. All models take roughly the same amount of time. No-one can go start to finish in 6 months.

Wow, so actually started a short while after the Stirling Single!!

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

Wow, so actually started a short while after the Stirling Single!!

Not far off; I did mention the phrase 'Race to the North' when we went up there for the scanning of No.1 ;)