Locomotion Models announce 'Hardwicke' Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Matabiau said:

Has anyone else from overseas had troubling placing a deposit for this loco with the NRM? When I get to the sagepay section for entering my credit card number it gets upset and tells my the number doesn't match the card type! 

Have you typed it in exactly (including spaces) as on the card?

Thats what I did in the past hour and no problem

Edited by phil-b259

22 minutes ago, phil-b259 said:

Have you typed it in exactly (including spaces) as on the card?

Thats what I did in the past hour and no problem

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately it hasn't helped. I must admit it's not the first time I've had trouble paying with locomotion models but it has been fine recently.

Unfortunately the system makes you pay for delivery at the same time as the deposit whcih probably doesn't help!

2 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

If its like previous NRM editions a second batch could be quite likely,  hoepfully without a white roof so it replicates its active preserved days. As presented it is yet another models which is only accurate to the actual loco being non-working.

One of the Rails models to be released at the same time will be LNWR lined black and appears to have a black roof in the photographs on their website.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

If its like previous NRM editions a second batch could be quite likely,  hoepfully without a white roof so it replicates its active preserved days. As presented it is yet another models which is only accurate to the actual loco being non-working.

It’s a NRM special edition in Royal Train condition as in the museum, that’s the point of the National Collection in Miniature, no doubt it would have run for a while with the white roof afterwards in LNWR ownership. 

Or you could just paint the roof . . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

24 minutes ago, Butler Henderson said:

Simply spray a little bit black paint on it?

Out of interest does anyone know the reasoning behind the Individual naming of the class? A quick glance at the list seems to show there was no consistency in theme, some being named after historical figures, others after places in the Empire and some mythical beasts thrown in too! 

Looks a lovely model though! 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, RateTheFreight said:

Out of interest does anyone know the reasoning behind the Individual naming of the class? A quick glance at the list seems to show there was no consistency in theme, some being named after historical figures, others after places in the Empire and some mythical beasts thrown in too! 

Looks a lovely model though! 

There was no consistency. That's the delight of LNWR locomotive naming. (There were some "themes" later on but they still turned up some splendid names.) I've commented in the Rails thread on the rather Imperialist and un-Woke names chosen, when one could have had Madge or Belted Will!

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Matabiau said:

One of the Rails models to be released at the same time will be LNWR lined black and appears to have a black roof in the photographs on their website.

There are  a number of differences between them apart from the roof with different buffers, tender and  boiler details and coupling rod styles 

• Agree 1

Botheration !&@/'#%$¥

for sale one unfinished GEM KIT ,unfinished due to it Haveing the old white metal chassis which I don't like

And no way could I compete with that Finnish !

moderators this is NOT a for sale notice it's  a thank god I don't have to go there now statement

makes a change for a rtr to come out before I have built the kit rather than after!

Edited by Graham456
Makeing sure you understand it not a for sale add
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Can anyone please explain why Hardwick has a white roof? What is  it's historical provenance?

Because it’s been displayed with the Royal train and painting coal or cab roofs white was a common tradition. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

As it was an express passenger locomotive it would most have mostly hauled bogies of LNWR, LMS and even BR blue/grey Mark Ones when running in the late 1970s/early 1980s. The Ratio kits are perfect for it.

I had a cab ride on the real one at Dinting in about 1980 so I'll probably buy Hardwicke as a minimum.

Carriages. Apart from Ratio try Wizard as he has the old Chowbent range. Some are OOS stock at the moment, but I think that's down to supplier problems.

Jason

There is a wide range of LNWR carriage 4mm kits available, London Road Models, Wizard (the former Chowbent range), Stevenson Carriages, Worsley Works and Ratio. Although no longer produced, or absorbed into existing ranges, 247, PC/Wheeltappers, David Geen, Microrail, were some of the more prominent. However, the LNWR livery is one one of the complex pre-group variety and off putting to many people. This is where Hattons will score with their generic range of pre-group six wheelers, with a LNWR livery option.

Pre-group railways, especially the LNWR have been very well supported by kit manufacturers for decades. Gem, K's, George Norton, LRM, M&L, Brassmasters, etc. for locos. Infrastructure items, buildings, etc. are all readily available. For for those who enjoy kit building or who wanted something beyond the readily available RTR, there is/was no shortage of kits.

I was aware that the NRM was interested in doing a LNWR Precedent some years ago but this was somewhat confirmed at the 2018 York MRS when I was asked if we had a Precedent running on London Road which was on display at the show.  The enquirer and his compatriot were both wearing NRM "corporate" badged coats We didn't have a Precedent  but had the smaller wheeled Whitworth so we then arranged to reorganise /disrupt the operating timetable to show them. You can imagine my annoyance, when having done so and stopping the train at a suitable position on the layout next to them, they then walked off without a word of thanks.

It is interesting to read so many post where RMweb members have expressed an intention to buy one of these lovely looking models, while seemingly having no specific interest in the LNWR or even the pre-grouping period. I therefore remain unconvinced that the introduction of such models will do much at all to expand the number of pre-group layouts. The Bachmann Coal Tank certainly had very little impact in that respect. 

Jol

Edited by Jol Wilkinson
Additional text
  • Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

There are  a number of differences between them apart from the roof with different buffers, tender and  boiler details and coupling rod styles 

Thank you for pointing out the differences. Given the problems I am having with the Locomotion website I may go for the Rails LNWR version, in the knowledge that it is in the pre-grouping condition as opposed the the preserved one.

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

It is interesting to read so many post where RMweb members have expressed an intention to buy one of these lovely looking models, while seemingly having no specific interest in the LNWR or even the pre-grouping period. I therefore remain unconvinced that the introduction of such models will do much at all to expand the number of pre-group layouts. The Bachmann Coal Tank certainly had very little impact in that respect. 

One can't build a convincing pre-grouping layout around a RTR model of a single class of locomotives, or even two, particularly if that class is a passenger type. One can go for the W.S. Norris approach of representative trains. I'm a bit that way myself.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Jol Wilkinson said:

interesting to read so many post where RMweb members have expressed an intention to buy one of these lovely looking models, while seemingly having no specific interest in the LNWR or even the pre-grouping period. I therefore remain unconvinced that the introduction of such models will do much at all to expand the number of pre-group layouts.

Well I’ve long had an interest since seeing Millport Victoria in RM, Hardwicke at Rainhill and thoroughly enjoyed London Rd and Hope under Dinmore but do I have space for another layout on top of the current ones? Sadly not at the moment although with two Coal Tanks already and now these two on order I’m seriously tempted to convert my SR layout with another set of LNWR buildings for home use. I’ve also ordered some Hattons coaches but baulk at using them on a show layout purely because I’d rather they are more accurate if exhibiting while they are fine for indulging a whim at home ;) 

With these as well I’m seriously considering another go at coach painting, not my favourite part of the hobby as I’m more into layout building than stock building, to have some bogie stock too. So it might lead to a more accurate project one day ;) 

I’m not sure we want a rush of layouts with pre grouping stock based on a rtr release or we will just have more mpd type moans ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1