Rails of Sheffield Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

Did anyone pick up on the "clocked up two million miles in service, a record for steam which has never been beaten"?

The record was beaten by quite a number of locos- and is held for steam by 60106 Flying Fox at a little over 2.7 million miles. - and this was the loco that lost in the 1924 locomotive exchanges....

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Les1952 said:

Did anyone pick up on the "clocked up two million miles in service, a record for steam which has never been beaten"?

The record was beaten by quite a number of locos- and is held for steam by 60106 Flying Fox at a little over 2.7 million miles. - and this was the loco that lost in the 1924 locomotive exchanges....

They've got it slightly garbled. Charles Dickens accumulated that mileage working the same 8:30 am Manchester-London express and 4:00 pm return (it was a Longsight locomotive) every weekday (with the exception of works visits including rebuilding as an Improved Precedent) for twenty years - 267 miles per day - that's the record that has not been beaten. It "wrote" letters to the press reporting its one million and two million miles.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 6
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, GNR Dave said:

According to the latest issue of The Bachmann Times, manufacturing is complete and they are 'in transit' for September delivery.

Brilliant, just need Hattons to sort out the LNWR Genesis now then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 28/04/2021 at 22:02, Compound2632 said:

Certainly not superheated! But wouldn't that jangling be from the coupling rods?

Sorry, missed this at the time.  No, a much higher pitched sound, which really did sound like the snifters on a 4F, if you've ever heard one. Rods have a much more sonerous note.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 13/11/2020 at 10:37, 247 Developments said:

247 developments 2016 will need to enlarge the range of Precedent Class we Stock. We only do 4 Names/Numbers at the moment but we are planning to do more by the time these are released

http://www.247developments.co.uk/PRE_GROUPING_1.html

As these are getting close have you managed to add some more names yet? 

Thanks

• Like 2

Update from Bachmann:

We are pleased to report that production is complete on all our exclusive models of the Caledonian 812, LNWR Precedents and LNER V2s.

Due to the current shipping / container issues happening in China they are simply waiting for a container for all three models to shipped to the UK. A container is booked towards the end of the month. This means that if all goes to plan we are likely to see the models arrive with us towards the end of November.

Further updates will follow once shipped and we should be able to share the ship tracking information so all can see the current location of the models.

Order books are almost full so pre-ordering is highly recommended. A big thank you to everyone who has ordered so far.

Oliver

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6
  • Informative/Useful 5

21 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

Update from Bachmann:

We are pleased to report that production is complete on all our exclusive models of the Caledonian 812, LNWR Precedents and LNER V2s.

Due to the current shipping / container issues happening in China they are simply waiting for a container for all three models to shipped to the UK. A container is booked towards the end of the month. This means that if all goes to plan we are likely to see the models arrive with us towards the end of November.

Further updates will follow once shipped and we should be able to share the ship tracking information so all can see the current location of the models.

Order books are almost full so pre-ordering is highly recommended. A big thank you to everyone who has ordered so far.

Oliver

So its looking like its doorstep delivery the week before Christmas then  !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Oliver Rails said:

This means that if all goes to plan we are likely to see the models arrive with us towards the end of November.

Excellent, thanks @Oliver Rails that's good to know, gives me some lead time on stashing some cash over the next couple of months in anticipation, plus gives me something to look forward to for Christmas, might even manage some track-laying on the layout by then too!

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 1 month later...

Interesting perspective. I do not prefer the Midland livery on an LNWR loco; the Blackberry black being far superior.

Some issues: The number on the tender plate is the tender's number not an old loco number.  In LNWR days the loco number was not carried on the smokebox door so that is wrong.  The buffers on the tender are Webb but those on the engine are Bowen-Cooke which dates the engine as post circa 1910

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, Brassey said:

Interesting perspective. I do not prefer the Midland livery on an LNWR loco; the Blackberry black being far superior.

Some issues: The number on the tender plate is the tender's number not an old loco number.  In LNWR days the loco number was not carried on the smokebox door so that is wrong.  The buffers on the tender are Webb but those on the engine are Bowen-Cooke which dates the engine as post circa 1910

The livery for Novelty is an older LMS livery from the first something odd years during the grouping.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

The livery for Novelty is an older LMS livery from the first something odd years during the grouping.

I have a suspicion that @Brassey knows that; the first LMS livery was the same as the last Midland livery in all points except company insignia; it was applied until late 1927. I happen to think that it suits the locomotive very well, though not as handsome as BR mixed traffic livery (!) - it does work better on small locomotives than large - on a Duchess (the livery was re-used by BR) the vast areas of crimson lake are unrelieved by lining; on this small engine, there's enough lining to go round! Not very many ex-LNWR engines got the LMS standard-issue smokebox door numberplates; this has been variously attributed to Crewe's resistance to Midland innovations or to the design of Webb's smokebox door. However, I suspect that any engine turned out in the full passenger livery would have got one; I'm sure that Bachmann will have done their research on this point in Novelty's case. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 9402 Fredrick said:

I was quoting the utuber who referred to it as Midland. 

Although it might be correct for LMS, IIRC the smoke box number is on the LMWR livery version too. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Brassey said:

I was quoting the utuber who referred to it as Midland. 

Although it might be correct for LMS, IIRC the smoke box number is on the LMWR livery version too. 

The model of Lucknow, presented in c. 1895 LNWR condition, does not have the smokebox numberplate; neither does the model of Hardwicke, in as-preserved condition.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Would anyone wanting to backdate the Locomotion model of Hardwicke to racing condition be willing to swap tenders with the Lucknow I have on order, since I'm aiming for c. 1902 condition with coal rails? Webb vs. Bowen Cooke buffers can no doubt be sorted, though I can't see Webb buffers on the Alan Gibson list.

Or are there other hurdles to backdating Hardwicke?

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Would anyone wanting to backdate the Locomotion model of Hardwicke to racing condition be willing to swap tenders with the Lucknow I have on order, since I'm aiming for c. 1902 condition with coal rails? Webb vs. Bowen Cooke buffers can no doubt be sorted, though I can't see Webb buffers on the Alan Gibson list.

Or are there other hurdles to backdating Hardwicke?

My mistake on the smoke box!

Gibson buffers 4905 London & North Western, Webb in my 2018 list.  Slaters used to do them too.  Sometimes crop up on eBay. 

you could try a LRM 1500 tender

• Like 3
  • Agree 1