Rails of Sheffield Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

Guest Locomotion No. 3
41 minutes ago, LNWR lives on said:

Dennis, 

This is a truly wonderful development for LNWR Modellers, for whom there is very little in the way of RTR available. 

I have one question which you may be able to help me with - is the production run of Hardwicke going to have the White Cab roof, or will it be black?

Thank you 

David

It is white as in its current condition at Shildon.

Dennis

I have a very nice Coal Tank to keep an Improved Precedent company but my G2As (“Super Ds”) are both in LMS black. As far as I can make out, Bachmann didn’t produce one in LNWR black. If that is right, now would be a good time to knock one out, I would have thought.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I have a very nice Coal Tank to keep an Improved Precedent company but my G2As (“Super Ds”) are both in LMS black. As far as I can make out, Bachmann didn’t produce one in LNWR black. If that is right, now would be a good time to knock one out, I would have thought.

same here, how about the ROD as an addition? 

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/product/rod-2-8-0-2406-lnwr-black/35-176

cheers,

Keith

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, turbos said:

I’ve always wondered why the most numerous class of British steam locomotive never had an rtr model ever made, particularly as there’s a survivor. 
I wonder if the second most numerous class of British steam locomotive will ever have a rtr model made?

Am I missing something here?

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, turbos said:

I wonder if the second most numerous class of British steam locomotive will ever have a rtr model made?

Well, a DX - or perhaps rather an SDX - would make an excellent stablemate for the Precedent and Coal Tank. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

25 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

I know the history of the LNWR 0-8-0 class is rather complex, but did the version as made by Bachmann actually exist in LNWR days?

Graham

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JSpencer said:

What? No BR coloured version? I want one for BR.  Would No. 1673 Lucknow’ in LNWR Black livery make a good doner for BR black livery?

(Well, someone had to ask!! :D)

Just ordered one from Locomotion, now when is Gladstone coming?  

This must be the first steam loco other than the rocket in 400 years that hasn’t appeared in BR black. Thank goodness,  I need a break! :blush:

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, No Decorum said:

5 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

I know the history of the LNWR 0-8-0 class is rather complex, but did the version as made by Bachmann actually exist in LNWR days?

Graham

I believe the prototypes are different, as annoying as it is. Additionally I don’t think pre-grouping was ever considered as anything more than a ‘niche’ market to pursue until a few years ago. If I had things my way and all that... 

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Otis JB said:

Hm, I thought the DX was the most numerous. What is then? 

I think it is, having double-checked the numbers:

DX: 943

WD: 935

Not all the WDs actually saw service in Britain so that number might not be considered valid but they were built at a grater rate - the WDs over three years, DX over five. But then again, all the DXs were built at one works, Crewe, whereas WDs were built at three. So it's debatable which represents the greater feat of manufacturing.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Looks a lovely model, and I really hope it sells well. Though there’s. Lot of missable sods on FB moaning About the cost and the lack of bearings for some reason. 

now for myself rule1 needs to be used but which one to order. 

• Agree 1

Watched the launch video thinking I wouldn't need one but once I saw Talavera in LMS Black I was hooked! Just wondering now whether the Improved Precedent Class will give Bachmann the opportunity to look at the LNWR Cauliflower Class and several other LNWR locomotives that utilse the same tender? :)

Edited by Garethp8873
Realised several LNWR locomotives use this tender and not just the Cauliflower Class.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

44 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Rather an un-Woke set of names though! Sister Dora has been mentioned but how could one pass up such delights as Belted Will, Witch, Madge, Glowworm, The Auditor, Merrie Carlisle, Giraffe, or Mabel

I've got a set of the most un-woke nameplates imaginable and they are for a GWR locomotive. :D

4017 Knight Of The Black Eagle

PS. They're made by P C Models....

The GWR also had Japanese Monarch in the same class. Emperor Hirohito for those unaware...

:laugh:

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, dagrizz said:

Graham

I've just checked my own Bachmann model (49064) and it has a Belpaire firebox which were not fitted to these locos until after the Grouping. I do not know if Bachmann also produced a round topped boiler version.

Graham

• Informative/Useful 2

Lovely thing to see, I had a feeling it might come to fruition and am very glad to see it!  Sets a similar trend to the C1 and Brighton Atlantics in being the first of it's wheel arrangement RTR, let's hope there's more.

One curiosity I had was to the LMS Crimson example, aside from what I believe is the first RTR example of this particular transitional livery, but I'm unsure if the wheels would have been fully painted?  Was this typical of Crewe and/or the LMS prior to 1925/26?

image.png.6a1052c8eb0043ee1fc13f48d269ec1c.png

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Synch said:

Lovely thing to see, I had a feeling it might come to fruition and am very glad to see it!  Sets a similar trend to the C1 and Brighton Atlantics in being the first of it's wheel arrangement RTR, let's hope there's more.

One curiosity I had was to the LMS Crimson example, aside from what I believe is the first RTR example of this particular transitional livery, but I'm unsure if the wheels would have been fully painted?  Was this typical of Crewe and/or the LMS prior to 1925/26?

image.png.6a1052c8eb0043ee1fc13f48d269ec1c.png

This transitional livery was also uaed on two of the Bachmann L&YR Class 5s.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 12/11/2020 at 12:21, phil gollin said:

Could someone please list the applicable dates for the 4 loco models,

Using Loco Illustrated 121 as a source

1673 Lucknow May 1891 (date renewed). Was scrapped in Feb 1919. [$ -see edit below]

5036 Novelty  - photoed  dated 1924 so renumbered - was withdrawn July 1928 (probably still in same livery arrangement?)

5018 Talavera - carries the 1928 livery; loco was withdrawn Dec 1932

790 Hardwicke - the white roof has been applied since the loco was withdrawn from railtour use, c.1990s

EDIT - [$] Info further down the thread, coal rails added by c 1896 so the model of 1673 is 1891-c 1896

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

2 hours ago, Talltim said:

Am I missing something here?

Sorry for my somewhat cryptic post, I’d been out for a walk after lunch and had been pondering why a rtr LNWR Precedent had never been made, (and various other questions that pop into my head). A somewhat surreal moment when I sat down with a cup of tea after my walk and looked at RMWeb only to discover this announcement, some of my train of thought from my earlier walk was in my post. 
We’re now only a couple of Pre-Grouping rtr model locos away from having all the 1888 ‘Race to the North’ types having been made.

Great announcement!

Brian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2