Rails of Sheffield Improved Precedent Class

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium

Interesting that livery samples are already available. If I’m not mistaken that means this loco is at a similar stage of development as Rails’ Caley 812 Class which was announced in February 2018, so in theory would have been started around the same time when projects were generally announced much earlier in development, yet this loco was kept secret until now. Or has this loco been expressed through the different stages?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Abslutely love this, unfortunately can't stretch to one at that price unless someone can give me photographic evidence of their use on the Bangor-Afonwen or Conwy Valley lines. I've been looking onlione, ut can't even find info on the names/numbers, let alone detail variations. Anyone want to suggest some reading material on that front?

Edited by Quarryscapes

19 hours ago, Simon Lee said:

Somebodys splashing out then.........

Suprised no ones mentioned the times in 1975 I think it was, when 790 went mainline. I was on a MGNRS tour, that had 4472 / 61306 / and 790 in various permutations from Carnforth to Ravenglass. 

So a reason to run the loco with blue and grey Mk 1s.

Was that the year Gresley and Flying Jock ran out of Carnforth as well? - remember (never forget) seeing them over the Levens Viaduct  - and steam isn't really my bag.

13 hours ago, Otis JB said:

Can anyone clarify why a white roof was painted please? Did the LNWR originally do it?

I have checked both the LNWR liveries and An illustrated history of LNWR engines books and neither make any reference to white cab roofs. The liveries book has a section on special liveries but no mention of white roofs. I don’t see this being a royal train livery as it would not be very visible from platform level, so I suspect it is a fantasy modern livery. Even if someone can find evidence of white roofs for royal train engines then it is not very handy, how many modellers have a royal train to run ? Therefore, if I were buying this model I would be tempted to re spray the roof or buy the Rails model which has a black roof already. 

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

I have checked both the LNWR liveries and An illustrated history of LNWR engines books and neither make any reference to white cab roofs. The liveries book has a section on special liveries but no mention of white roofs. I don’t see this being a royal train livery as it would not be very visible from platform level, so I suspect it is a fantasy modern livery. Even if someone can find evidence of white roofs for royal train engines then it is not very handy, how many modellers have a royal train to run ? Therefore, if I were buying this model I would be tempted to re spray the roof or buy the Rails model which has a black roof already. 

As have I, which is why I asked much the same question in a post earlier today. In the absence of an answer I think that you are right, a fantasy livery, which is a shame. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

Therefore, if I were buying this model I would be tempted to re spray the roof or buy the Rails model which has a black roof already. 

The issue with buying Lucknow is the longer 4 digit number if you want Hardwicke. Painting the roof is the simple option really and with thinned paint a couple of coats should give a nice finish even with a brush. I’ll probably spray mine. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, PenrithBeacon said:

As have I, which is why I asked much the same question in a post earlier today. In the absence of an answer I think that you are right, a fantasy livery, which is a shame. 

Might be worth asking for the historical evidence on the Locomotion thread so Dennis sees it? 

• Agree 1

• Moderators
36 minutes ago, brushman47544 said:

Or has this loco been expressed through the different stages?

It's gone through broadly comparable stage timelines.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

Surely, the Locomotion version is a model of it as it is now or at other times post-preservation.. So that is not a fantasy.

If you want LNW era, Lucknow is your option.

• Agree 5

4 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

Another thought to add fuel to the fire, shouldn’t the LMS versions have red inside frames ?

If Bachmann model the chassis as per their usual I doubt if they will show the inside of the frames.

I have my doubts about the colour schemes for the inside of the cab, AFAIK Crewe painted the inside of the cabs brown above the side cut-outs and black below. The inside of the roof was white. I believe that Crewe did change after Stanier appeared to white above and black below but I doubt if any Jumbo ever appeared like that.

I'm waiting for 2487 Penrith Beacon!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Nice little model and it seems we have several manufacturers and dealers who are commissioning models.  Rails doing the more vintage stuff and Accurascale and Cavalex doing the more modern stuff, no real overlapping, top quality, should do well.  Bravo to all those involved.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Were all ever painted red? I wouldn't be altogether surprised if some class members had slipped through from wartime unlined black to LMS 1928 black!

According to the catalogue entry for the Aster live steam model, only four were painted red.  They chose Novelty too. 

I also came across this photo of Penrith Beacon, locomotive clearly painted red but paired with an unnumbered tender which looks to be black.  Possibly awaiting scrapping?  Note the loco has washout plugs as does Hardwicke, so presumably an LMS-built boiler?

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

I can understand that Hardwick is a model of how the engine looks today and it is a fine model. However will it be satisfactory on a working layout, unless you model a railway museum? 

It’s the National Collection in Miniature, that’s the whole point of the Locomotion editions, It’s meant to be a model as you see it in the museum. 

It’s also the easiest change to do yourself to put it to normal condition. Whatever you want the others in gloss finishes etc have obviously sold well that the range is now so big so it’s aimed at that market. There are two LNWR options, just buy the other one if you don’t want to repaint the roof ;) 

Personally I’d like Shakespeare so will keep an eye on what Brian does a 247 and ask if that’s a possibility ;) 

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

16 minutes ago, Hibelroad said:

I can understand that Hardwick is a model of how the engine looks today and it is a fine model. However will it be satisfactory on a working layout, unless you model a railway museum? 

Mine will make guest appearances on my eventual Sheffield Park layout - even though I can find no evidence of her ever visiting the line.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Mine will make guest appearances on my eventual Sheffield Park layout - even though I can find no evidence of her ever visiting the line.

That would be my use of Hardwicke as well. An issue with painting the roof black is I presume the same black was used throughout and if Bachmann have recreated the LNW Blackberry black would it look wrong.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, 247 Developments said:

Quote from us on Facebook on Rails post about this loco

247 developments 2016 will need to enlarge the range of Precedent Class we Stock. We only do 4 Names/Numbers at the moment but we are planning to do more by the time these are released

http://www.247developments.co.uk/PRE_GROUPING_1.html

Brian, are you thinking of doing any particular order of these? Is it worth a request list or just an email? Just wanted to ask before you’re bombarded with request emails ;) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Excellent - a full set of Teutonic plates I see, no doubt reflecting the LRM kit. I assume Jeanie Deans is correctly spelt on the plate itself?

Now, can anyone tell me which Precedents were allocated to Aston, Monument Lane, or other West Midlands sheds, c. 1902/3?

Thanks for letting me know about the Typeo