Loch Nagar - Military Munitions Factory (OO)

Loch Nagar is the creation of Club member Chris. This layout was built during the COVID 19 lockdown of 2020, and depicts a generic factory setting somewhere within the UK. The layout is designed to run stock from 1940 up to the 1970s.

Built in a rifle case the layout measures 3' X 1' including fiddle yard. The layout was created using what ever Chris had in the house at the time and proved to be a great project to help the days pass while not being able to go anywhere. 

The layout is operated by way of a Gaugemaster series UF single controller mounted directly to the base board next to a switch panel for the points which are SEEP motors controlled by push to contact switches.

24FB3BE1-5FF4-4D80-A2F5-F2051837A4A5.jpeg

4A5EC816-55B9-4B00-8070-A2F12485CCE4.jpeg

8DEA4B0E-ECFC-42D9-9054-58FBAB5FFCF7.jpeg

ABDAB264-687E-4742-814F-A8913DABB2E7.jpeg

48F7C47B-AC6E-44AA-A762-C2FA46DD982B.jpeg

64AC1F5D-C123-44BC-8026-81DDE34296C9.jpeg

27B23CFF-7760-4B3E-9A64-9981EA102266.jpeg

6AD17C7C-86F7-436C-B09B-D2DFF8CEDCB5.jpeg

139F025A-2083-4B0A-834B-2B1E1A058EDF.jpeg

406FDAA7-2B3C-43CC-8714-BF3D8563CECF.jpeg

F1B9F5AC-3C93-476A-B7C1-4B5F9C57F046.jpeg

EEDCC627-D16C-4D60-A3AD-0CEA650A505B.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Agree 1

Great model - it might even inspire me to get on with my long standing plan for a similarly themed layout.

Any chance of an overall view or trackplan as it would be very interesting to see how Chris fitted al this into 3' x 1'

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, MyRule1 said:

Great model - it might even inspire me to get on with my long standing plan for a similarly themed layout.

Any chance of an overall view or trackplan as it would be very interesting to see how Chris fitted al this into 3' x 1'

Thanks for the nice comments. 

Will get Chris to take top down view photo for you and post it later. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Kevin Johnson said:

This is a stunning military layout, everything flows nicely together. 
I like the low relief factory building which fills the back scene nicely and the tarp covering the wagon. :good:

Thanks, will pass your comments to Chris. 

On 12/11/2020 at 11:23, MyRule1 said:

3F6FF29D-24C4-4EFB-A288-91AFD92FB32F.jpeg

CE91E563-F70B-41CA-910C-BCA277F20E29.jpeg

Edited by cuparmrc
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

A very nice unusual themed layout.

I am however a bit concerned about what looks like to be a 240v mains connection to the transformer so near and unprotected to the the low voltage connections.

Terry 

12 hours ago, ELTEL said:

I am however a bit concerned about what looks like to be a 240v mains connection to the transformer so near and unprotected to the the low voltage connections.

Terry 

That was a photo taken when the layout was being built. The transformer is in a self contained ventilated box that plugs in to the layout and sits on the floor. 

12 hours ago, ELTEL said:

Terry 

Great little layout and gives me some inspiration to create my own, full of character and atmosphere. What is the concern with the wiring. As I would have thought as long as the gentleman has ventilation, its PAT tested and is inaccessible to touch when operated then it would be fine it appears to be in a plastic case so is insulated. Forgive me only just starting in the model railway world and only living in a small flat I don't have much space.

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, cuparmrc said:

That was a photo taken when the layout was being built. The transformer is in a self contained ventilated box that plugs in to the layout and sits on the floor. 

Good to hear that the 240v is now not a hazard any more.

Enjoy your layout 

Terry 

This is what I was going from when thinking about my layout I'm now very confused as this site states although rarely done it doesn't state that it's not allowed to be done. As you can see it's an extract from a different thread from this website? Is there actually any regulartions written down?

Screenshot_20201116-084846__01.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Even as non-electrician the separated out power box option makes sense.

Always check the regulations applicable to where you live and for obvious reasons design in as much risk amelioration as possible. The guidance above is self-explanatory in that by distancing the mains power from the layout by putting it into a box the electrocution risks at layout level are immediately reduced. It also means that, if for whatever reason you have got it wrong and the mains wiring fails a PAT inspection, the whole layout control panel area does not have to be ripped up to get at any future mains defect just the stand alone box. It also means you can have the mains side checked by a certified qualified electrician without the faff of having to have all or part of the actual layout available for it to be tested.

There is a secondary bonus too, if you change layouts (or build an additional one into your collection) a separated out power box means that is one less thing to have to build for the subsequent projects.

Keep the mains circuits to the barest minimum in the power box, and feed out the low voltage power then add your complexities at layout level and in low voltage wiring.

Edited by john new
  • Agree 1