Wheel cleaning question

nookie

Hi, am I am right in thinking putting a 9v Battery across the wheels of a chipped loco to clean them, is a no no?

if so, would say clipping crocodile clips onto the rails with wires to two suitable wipers across the wheels be OK?

the idea is so you can address the loco sit it in a cradle upside down, power it up and cotton bud away?

Cheers Nookie.

I would be happy with the 9v battery, except most of my locos have DC disabled after a couple ran away after a short had been cleared.

My biggest issue with a powered cleaning brush is it being no use for unpowered wheels with pickups.

I would not be so happy about cleaning my wheels with a stiff metal brush.

• RMweb Gold

Get yourself a couple of these https://www.dcctrainautomation.co.uk/trix-minitrix-66602-conductive-loco-wheel-cleaning-brush-ho.html

The Conrad branded one is exactly the same (it even comes in a Trix branded box) but half the price https://www.conrad.com/p/trix-h0-92012-h0-wheel-set-brush-1-pcs-219928 although currently sold out.

Plonk them on a bit of straight track (can be part of the layout) and put the loco on top, hold it to stop it running off or falling over and drive it using your DCC system

Andi

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I picked up one of the N gauge versions from Arcadia Models for a friend, just in time before lockdown.

I use the 00 version and it works well.  But don’t press the loco down too hard onto the unit to get the crud off.  The carden shaft linking the motor with the bogie on one of my locos came detached probably as a result of pressing down too hard.

• Agree 1