Tatworth Shed

Huggy

Having got my main layout Tillingham to a stage where it's operative, with just the odd bit of new detail here and there to do, I started on a little shed diorama a few months ago, using a stray piece of B&Q shelving as the sub base, covered in foam sheet. I started because i'd bought an old Airfix shed kit with one roof panel , a window and a few other bits missing for a quid at a show last year. I decided on a "no points" approach due to the very small space  - the whole thing is barely two feet long - with a pivoted off-scene piece of track (sector plate would be too grand a title) and a Peco girder bridge as the scenic cutoff.  Still a fair bit to do but here's the progress so far. Remaining:

1. Water crane and supply tank.  I have a Ratio crane, which will need a plinth making, and need to scratch build a tank as all the kits and download card variety are too large for the site, which is supposed to be a little sub-shed for the nearby junction station's shunter.  The backscene sky I made from a photo of my own which was taken a few years ago, and is actually a Canadian sky, rather than Somewhere in Southern England. Who spotted it...?  :lol:

2. Ground cover. So far it's all shades of brown.

3. Various bits of weathering and growth on the Metcalfe retaining walls as the rear.

4. Some assorted clutter, and a figure or two. Time my locos got some crew in any case!

5. An overall box and lighting in case I ever get the urge to try and show it.

6. Ground signals....maybe.

All comments and suggestions welcome.

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

A5.jpg

IMG_20200109_135002_edited-2.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

This is great - really well put together.  Thanks for sharing.

If it’s OK to make a suggestion, quite a few of the very small layouts in this Forum have a backscene across the end for when the camera points that way, as well along the back (a removable plain one would do).  I wondered if it might be an idea here?

It’s not a problem when we’re looking at layouts ‘in the flesh’ as the brain naturally screens out the things off the baseboard, but in photos we notice the collections of paints and modellers’ perfumes stored alongside - I put up a photo on one of my threads the other day where I just hadn’t noticed a Disney Pixar ‘Cars’ wastebin behind a loco I was photographing :rolleyes: .

Excellent model, really like the details.  Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Agree 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 18/11/2020 at 09:08, Keith Addenbrooke said:

This is great - really well put together.  Thanks for sharing.

If it’s OK to make a suggestion, quite a few of the very small layouts in this Forum have a backscene across the end for when the camera points that way, as well along the back (a removable plain one would do).  I wondered if it might be an idea here?

It’s not a problem when we’re looking at layouts ‘in the flesh’ as the brain naturally screens out the things off the baseboard, but in photos we notice the collections of paints and modellers’ perfumes stored alongside - I put up a photo on one of my threads the other day where I just hadn’t noticed a Disney Pixar ‘Cars’ wastebin behind a loco I was photographing :rolleyes: .

Excellent model, really like the details.  Keith.

I'm still working on how to put the whole thing into a "theatre" set up when it's done, maybe exhibit it one day, and then it will have panels at both ends, though I'm not sure I'll achieve the "wrap round" effect at the corners that you see on some. Meanwhile, I'm still working on bits and bobs so it's unfinished work, just going to attach another couple now I've done some ground cover..... Still to build - a water tank (debating whether steel frame type out of plastic girder sections or brick base), also paint the water crane, and scatter some junk and general muck about, and a couple of resident people :) Cheers P

IMG_20201214_085459_edited-1.jpg

IMG_20201214_085424 copy 3.jpg

• Like 6