class 101 running lights

john2305

hi every one looking for advice on class 101 dmu ,currently fitting coach lighting which is now sorted but fitting marker lights cant find any info as to what was displayed and when . was it two whites forward and two reds in reverse does any one happen to know . thanks for the help 

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, john2305 said:

hi every one looking for advice on class 101 dmu ,currently fitting coach lighting which is now sorted but fitting marker lights cant find any info as to what was displayed and when . was it two whites forward and two reds in reverse does any one happen to know . thanks for the help 

What era? It matters as to whether the internal lights would have shown reds or whether a tail lamp would be carried.

Andi

• Agree 4

• 2 months later...

Hi, I would also like information regarding DMU running lights. In my case it is the Derby Lightweight prototype M79900 (later Iris). It started out  with two low level (white/red) lights

in the class 1 train position and a roof mounted white light in the class 2 train position. At a later date it seems to have gained a low level central white light as well.

I have been assuming that this was done to provide standard train class indications, but it has been suggested that it would normally have run with all three of the original white lights

at the leading end Illuminated and both rear light illuminated at the trailing end.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Blair

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Blair Ramsay said:

Hi, I would also like information regarding DMU running lights. In my case it is the Derby Lightweight prototype M79900 (later Iris). It started out  with two low level (white/red) lights

in the class 1 train position and a roof mounted white light in the class 2 train position. At a later date it seems to have gained a low level central white light as well.

I have been assuming that this was done to provide standard train class indications, but it has been suggested that it would normally have run with all three of the original white lights

at the leading end Illuminated and both rear light illuminated at the trailing end.

I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Blair

I suggest you take a look at https://www.railcar.co.uk/data/vehicle/79900. This is the website to go to for everything DMU-related, and there are plenty of photographs of this unit.

All the pictures of it in service (and all the other early Derby lightweights, for that matter), show a separate tail lamp being carried, so although in two of the 1956 photographs it looks like there might be a red centre lamp at the no. 2 end, I suspect that what we actually see is the other three lamps lit white and this lamp unlit. The No. 1 end certainly appears to have three white lamps at the bottom.

Photographs of the unit in service (and other early Derby lightweights) mostly show no head lamps at all lit during daytime, but there appears to be one on the railcar.co.uk site showing three lights lit (with the bottom middle one unlit), and there is a photograph on another site showing a class 2 headcode (https://railphotoprints.uk/p741268521/hE7393110#h96e58654). The Huddersfield photo on the railcar.co.uk site shows a class 1 headcode (with the train reporting number displayed in the offside cab window), but this is quite a bit later, when the unit was in departmental use.

The only early Derby lightweight I have seen a picture of without the centre lamp at the bottom is E79500, one of the original red triangle power twins built in 1954. I think the yellow diamond units, had four lamps from new.