Bachmann class 04 running erratically with smoke from the motor !

brian777999

I have an old split chassis Bachmann class 04 diesel shunter which used to be a very smooth runner but started to run erratically and then stopped all together. I stripped it down and found that there was a lot of oil/lubricant all over the internal mechanisms including the motor. After cleaning off all the oil, I have got it running again but it is very rough and occasionally a puff of smoke appears from the motor. Does this mean the motor is burnt out ?

• RMweb Gold

It probably needs new brushes, the oil will have softened them (assuming the oil was inside the motor?) if not then make sure you haven't got a cracked gear somewhere.

Andi

Edited by Dagworth
  • Informative/Useful 1

Probably needs the armature cleaned and new brushes. Except from memory you can't get brushes and can't get the motor apart without breaking it.

I had this issue and bought a Mainline 03 chassis for £2  as a temporary bodge 10 years ago, but after adding pickups from chassis to the back of the rear wheels it ran so well I never bothered to fix the Bachmann chassis. Its called planned obsolescence and works really well, its why Hornby Dublo went broke, too well made and still running 60 years later.

Yes, there was a lot of oil inside the motor. No cracked gears so, assuming it is the brushes, then nothing can be done. I might try putting some white grease on the gears and see if that helps at all.

Edited by brian777999

It now runs smoothly once it gets going but getting it going is the hard part ; it needs a burst of electricity to overcome that initial starting resistance. I sometimes have this problem with new locos too. I am not sure what else can be done but suggestions are welcome.

Edited by brian777999

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried giving it a blast round a continuous run?   My 94XX spends virtually all its time shunting but it gets sluggish from too much low speed stop start and so benefits from a good blast round towing a track cleaner every now an again.  I have been known to leave locos running while I have my tea.   If you don't have a continuous run 8 X 3rd Radius curves on the dining room floor will get the job done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...