I am looking to construct a carriage shed like the one shown in the image below. The problem is the roof which is corrugated. The shed is nearly identical to that Peco carriage shed kit (image posted of it) and I have bought one of them to see the design better. Obviously I could buy a lot of these kits and fit them together, but it would be very expensive to make the same size one as in the photo. The roof in the Peco model is a thin vacuum formed piece, so would be hard to print or copy. So has anyone suggestions on making the roof out of cheaper materials, but realistic? 

My model of the area around Sheffield Victoria would be based around 1967 to 1969. I haven't yet confirmed that the shed was still there at that time. So if anyone can remember it being there during that time please say so!

There's a later 1950's picture of it and it's developed lots of holes in it!

Full Carriage Shed 1937.jpg

Carriage Shed 527.jpg

• RMweb Gold

You can get corrugated Styrene which could be warmed in hot water and bent around a suitable former.

I also think there is a corrugated metal (like foil) but can't remember where I've seen it.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • RMweb Gold

ABS Embossed White Plasticard - CORRUGATED 0.5mm - Styrene Plastic Sheets HIPS

search for that in Ebay, have used it before, easy to glue, and prime good stuff

• Like 2

I used a sample length of finely ribbed paintable wall paper. I spray painted it with a grey primer before cutting it. I think it would have looked better laid on as one piece and then scribed. I may well start again. Taking photos often draws attention to mistakes! These are roofs for 4mm scale timber stores for John Bland's timber yard on Highbridge Wharf. The real things were massive. I have made a larger one and that was roofed with some very shallow ribbed arty notepaper. 

One advantage of using the wallpaper sample - we chose a different one for the walls! - is that you could use a full width of the wallpaper, which is usually 530mm, giving you a decent length carriage shed roof.

Timber store roofs 1 4net.jpg

Timber store roofs 2 4net.jpg

Edited by phil_sutters
Corrected spelling
  • Like 2
6 hours ago, chris p bacon said:

You can get corrugated Styrene which could be warmed in hot water and bent around a suitable former.

I also think there is a corrugated metal (like foil) but can't remember where I've seen it.

I have seen this in very small pieces too small to patch together. So I didn't think it was practical.  But after a dedicated search following posters advice, have seen it in A4 size sheets so that would do fine. 

I like the wallpaper idea too. But with large sheets of plastic that would cut down on the need of a greater support structure you would need with wallpaper. 

A further question. There's no colour shots of the shed, but they look like a common design. So what colour would they be? Obviously the roof was probably grey. But the sides were clearly not pink!

As this was on the Eastern region (LNER), did they have a colour for these types of sheds?

• RMweb Gold

By 1967-69 the colour is just going to be 'Soot' no matter what it started out as.

I did have a link to the LNER colours (can't find it) but I doubt that would say what it might have been as it tended to concentrate on the station colours.

• Funny 1
20 minutes ago, Graham1960 said:

I like the wallpaper idea too. But with large sheets of plastic that would cut down on the need of a greater support structure you would need with wallpaper. 

The two roofs shown have sections of plastic guttering, with a layer of good-quality card glued down on them with contact adhesive, as the base. The wall paper was stuck down onto that with PVA. The wall-paper is a less robust material than polystyrene sheet, so PVA lets you move it without it tearing, which could happen with a tackier contact adhesive. The larger span shed sub-structure was made by laminating three layers of card from the backs of A4 notepads, while wrapped around a suitable sized drum - a water-cooler bottle I think. As things tend to move while wrapping the layers and their glue together, the edges needed trimming at the end. The ribbed notepaper was then glued down with PVA. Since I have discovered the wallpaper ( in B&Q since you might ask) I would use that. It seemed easier to get a solid shell before covering the roofs, rather than try to build a curved roof onto a framework. The big roof had triangular trusses at regular intervals, which then sit on a separate framework of supporting pillars and horizontal beams. When I have finished detailing the timber stacks the roofs will be glued down to the support framework.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Informative/Useful 2