Bachmann 9F 2-10-0 An Appreciation.

robmcg

11 hours ago, 43078shildoncountydurham said:

Marcus,

Have a look at Worseter about page 15ish Bradwell, wheels etc outstanding, hope this helps.

Craig

Craig

You have my attention/curiosity, but alas I am not familiar with the work (nor, it seems is Google/Amazon, so I am not being lazy!); could you please direct me?

best,

Marcus

3 hours ago, EHertsGER said:

Craig

You have my attention/curiosity, but alas I am not familiar with the work (nor, it seems is Google/Amazon, so I am not being lazy!); could you please direct me?

best,

Marcus

Marcus, 

No problem go into layouts and you’ll find him, P4 not em but very interesting stuff..

Regards

Craig

My favourite class of steam locomotives I have four, numbers;

92189 DC 1F tender

92220 Evening Star DC 1G tender

92233 DC 1G tender

92249 DC 1B tender

I still need a single chimney variant as I want to make a Tyne Dock loco to go with my KR models rake of 9 Consett Ore wagons. Oh and a crosti! 

here’s my four,

Ross

9553A454-B3E0-4D01-AEEE-DA9D0EDBD2F8.jpeg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 19/01/2021 at 11:41, Ross Natoin said:

My favourite class of steam locomotives I have four, numbers;

92189 DC 1F tender

92220 Evening Star DC 1G tender

92233 DC 1G tender

92249 DC 1B tender

I still need a single chimney variant as I want to make a Tyne Dock loco to go with my KR models rake of 9 Consett Ore wagons. Oh and a crosti! 

here’s my four,

Ross

9553A454-B3E0-4D01-AEEE-DA9D0EDBD2F8.jpeg

Been reported in a few places that Hornbys new tooling suite includes options for Consett locos so perhaps next year we will see an RTR one. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have owned 4 over the years and none have ever showed signs of bad running like Sams did. No point stalling, no noisy mechs once run in, no hesitation. Perhaps he was just unlucky. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I've got three and they are all excellent runners. The only caveat being that the more you run them, the better they get, both in smoothness and power. My highest-mileage example (92006, originally with single chimney but altered by me just as BR did) will pull easily double the loads it could handle when new.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

I wrote to him, effectively asking who's setting him up!

My ES is a superb, smooth, quiet runner.

I do admit my H Crosti is a superb runner as well, but one of the main failings of the H 9F's for me is the bundle of snakes under the RHS of the cab - much finer on the B 9F's.

No difference in running between the 2 for me.

Al. 

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I'm not a collector. I just buy what I need for the layout.

But I will need at least one of these, so thanks to all who have contributed to this thread.

Rob, I love your artwork. Reminds me of the Cuneo paintings on a Triang-Hornby catalogue of the 60s.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Hilux5972 said:

I have owned 4 over the years and none have ever showed signs of bad running like Sams did. No point stalling, no noisy mechs once run in, no hesitation. Perhaps he was just unlucky. 

Most people’s carpet monsters hide small things. Perhaps Sam’s has graduated to altogether more sophisticated shenanigans.

• Funny 2

At one time I was renumbering and weathering these locos regularly, here's a photo of 92139 (ex 92077 I suspect) from the archives. Probably a commission or perhaps an Ebay sale.

92139W-FL-s50.jpg.995c63c2ebcc713b6c996f6304ece045.jpg

I have a few of these in my collection, but my current favourite is a renumbered 92110 that plods happily around my test track quietly doing its business pulling anything you care to hang behind it. Who needs tender pick ups when you've got ten driving wheels?! - Superb!

Glenn

• Like 4

On 25/04/2021 at 18:36, truffy said:

Most people’s carpet monsters hide small things. Perhaps Sam’s has graduated to altogether more sophisticated shenanigans.

Some of the injection mouldings look pretty rough on Sam's example. Reminds me of the last days of Wrenn when much of tooling was worn out.

The Bachmann 9F was stunning when it came out.

However about the same time the Hornby Britannia was relesed. It took me a while to get a Britannia, but putting the two side by side, the Bachman loco is that litle bit more crude. I don't doubt the Hornby 9F will be up to, or above Britannia levels, assuming they get the finish (esp on Evening Star) right.

It is a real shame that there are so many not-so-old Bachmann moels without bearings in the Chassis. This is the biggest mechanical weakness on these models imho.

One thing that Bachmann have that I have never seen on a Hornby loco is working valve spindles in the valve chesets. I'm pretty sure the Bachmann 9F will continue to outshine the Hornby loco in this (minor) area.

I have a Bachmann 2-10-0 and it is both an excellent runner and hauler.  However, I was talking to another modeller in the area and his 2-10-0 and he is very unhappy with the hauling capacity.  At sometime when we can meet up again I will take mine and have a look at his (I like fixing things) but in anticipation any thoughts on what to look for based on personal experience?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Theakerr said:

I have a Bachmann 2-10-0 and it is both an excellent runner and hauler.  However, I was talking to another modeller in the area and his 2-10-0 and he is very unhappy with the hauling capacity.  At sometime when we can meet up again I will take mine and have a look at his (I like fixing things) but in anticipation any thoughts on what to look for based on personal experience?

Like you I have a Bachmann 9f (2 actually) that run smoothly with a Zimo chip and will pull anything. You don’t say if your friends 9f is a recent model or not, both of mine are 10+ years old. I hesitate to flatter Sams video with the word ‘review’ but it does look like his model has a problem that could be a duff motor. Assuming your friends model hasn’t got a similar weak motor I’d look at whether all wheels are fully touching the rails (is the tender coupling or the bogie spring lifting the drivers?), dragging tender ( the  axles aren’t pin point and the grease can dry out), brake gear fouling wheels and lubrication of the gear train, axles and valve gear. Good luck :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Theakerr said:

How much running has his had? In my experience new ones start to slip with around 25 wagons on the level, but they improve greatly with use, and my most-used one can start 46 on a 1-in-50 gradient without doing so. I can't say if that's the limit or how many it will now do on the flat as the 46 were all the wagons present on the day. 

If it's older but has been unused for long periods, investigate/remove/replace the white factory grease, which tends to congeal under those conditions and can create enough resistance to prevent any movement in extreme cases.

Also, oil round the valve gear, it's amazing how much resistance it can have if dry. This is especially so where the model came in the transparent packaging. I think they stopped oiling it to prevent any getting on the box insert in transit.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

There does seem something slightly ironic in watching someone reviewing something with a knowledgeable attitude then running it on a carpet - though I have to agree with maico, that looks like a pretty rough model when compared with those shown here.

31 minutes ago, Ighten said:

There does seem something slightly ironic in watching someone reviewing something with a knowledgeable attitude then running it on a carpet - though I have to agree with maico, that looks like a pretty rough model when compared with those shown here.

Whether Sam is knowledgeable is open to debate as he quite frequently gets things wrong in his presentations.

For example, he described the recently released M/N East Asiatic Line as a old model with a new livery.

Having said that, it is a good chance to see/ evaluate new locomotives to the market and make your own decision as to whether to purchase or not. The Hornby A2/2 being a prime example.

To his credit though, he is using his own time to produce  these reviews and fully acknowledges that he's no expert.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

I’ve got a Bachmann 9F and have always been happy with it . I can’t remember exactly when I bought it but it must be around 10 years ago . It goes round radius 2 curves without hesitation and can pull around 30 (probably more but that’s the sensible operating  limit for my railway) . Sams is a much more recent version, he got it late last year .there were some build issues with it .  Could it have been down spec ‘d to a price ? We know Kader has upped prices , maybe there has to be some compromises to keep price within reason . 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Whether Sam is knowledgeable is open to debate as he quite frequently gets things wrong in his presentations.

For example, he described the recently released M/N East Asiatic Line as a old model with a new livery.

Having said that, it is a good chance to see/ evaluate new locomotives to the market and make your own decision as to whether to purchase or not. The Hornby A2/2 being a prime example.

To his credit though, he is using his own time to produce  these reviews and fully acknowledges that he's no expert.

Basically, Sam's output is aimed at, and (perhaps) appropriate for, consumers who know as much or less than he about the subject.

I'd venture that rules out many (if not most) of us on here and if I want any advice on the accuracy, quality, and performance of new models, I'll be looking to sources that have shown themselves to be rather more knowledgeable.

John 

• Agree 4

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Basically, Sam's output is aimed at, and (perhaps) appropriate for, consumers who know as much or less than he about the subject.

I'd venture that rules out many (if not most) of us on here and if I want any advice on the accuracy, quality, and performance of new models, I'll be looking to sources that have shown themselves to be rather more knowledgeable.

John 

If you look at his review on the A2/2, the video presentation he posted spoke volumes on the build/QC of this particular loco.

Along with other postings on YouTube, it was not difficult to dismiss this current product as one not to buy until certain issues had been addressed.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Legend said:

I’ve got a Bachmann 9F and have always been happy with it . I can’t remember exactly when I bought it but it must be around 10 years ago . It goes round radius 2 curves without hesitation and can pull around 30 (probably more but that’s the sensible operating  limit for my railway) . Sams is a much more recent version, he got it late last year .there were some build issues with it .  Could it have been down spec ‘d to a price ? We know Kader has upped prices , maybe there has to be some compromises to keep price within reason . 

Or perhaps the tooling is beginning to show its age. Bachmann's 9F has been a very popular model for a very long time, and it wouldn't be surprising.

Perhaps Hornby has timed their 9F rather well? TBH, my older Bachmann models are entirely satisfactory "layout locos". I require no more, and see no need to replace them, but if I were buying my first one, the decision would be based on comparisons between the two makes as they currently exist. 

John

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Black 5 Bear said:

If you look at his review on the A2/2, the video presentation he posted spoke volumes on the build/QC of this particular loco.

Along with other postings on YouTube, it was not difficult to dismiss this current product as one not to buy until certain issues had been addressed.

Not an issue for me either way, as I don't buy anything with 6xxxx numbers.:jester:

• Funny 1

On 28/04/2021 at 08:46, Legend said:

This loco (92000) was a TMC commissioned/ manufactured item by Bachmann some years back.

It is a full fat version, which has been languishing on their shelves at various discounted prices for a few years now.

Edited by Black 5 Bear
Typo
  • Informative/Useful 2