Brookhall Mill - A GNR(I) Micro Layout

Patrick Davey

Hi everyone

Lockdown has generally been hateful but one small positive for me was that it has given me time to get started on a long-planned OO gauge 'micro' layout, with a GNR(I) theme.  The term 'micro layout' has been defined with various dimensions, but according to the popular Facebook group 'Micro Layouts' it is defined as one with a scenic section no bigger than 4ft x 2ft in OO Gauge - mine is 4ft x 18in.  I did a bit of planning and came up with the following requirements for the layout:

* The layout would be portable - I love the buzz of exhibitions!

* It would have a GNR(I) theme (my home railway, despite being a BCDR enthusiast!)

* It would have good operating potential and allow the appearance of stock from various eras and companies

* It would be a fiddle yard to terminus

* There would be multiple levels, for added interest - as well as the main rail facility, there would be a brick-lined culvert as well as a road overbridge

Unlike my most recent projects, it would probably need to be a fictional location, so I came up with the idea of a linen mill near Ballinderry on the GN's Antrim branch, which was owned by the GN and produced the finest linen in Ireland - so much so that it was visited by trains from numerous other Irish railway companies.  It would feature a passenger shuttle for mill staff as well as various goods movements throughout a typical working day, and it would would cram as much GNR(I) architecture as possible into the small space - am a big fan of the GN's 'corporate image'!  So there would be a typical GNR(I) signal box, platform shelter and stationmaster's house, and the mill buildings would be built to mimic those of the GNR(I) works at Dundalk.  I wrote an insane back story to justify all this, totally improbable but certainly entertaining to anyone who has read it   Part of the story involves the GN providing dedicated linen vans for the Brookhall Mill traffic so I took three of Leslie McAllister's GN vans and applied a fictional cream livery and had decals made by Endon Valley Custom Decals (highly recommended!)  The layout was given the name 'Brookhall Mill' because close to the fictional location of the mill is the popular 'Brookhall Historical Farm'.

Attached are some photos of progress to date - and we're off!!

1 (1).jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Great story that feels authentic given the area chosen. The GNRI certainly gives lots of operational choices. The buildings capture the GNRI character superbly and this is already shaping up to be a great small layout with lots of detail. Look forward to seeing your progress.

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Hi everyone, here's an update on my GNR(I) micro layout 'Brookhall Mill' - plenty of developments on the scenic side of things and I have built an office building in the polychromatic brick style of WH Mills, the GNR's charismatic Chief Engineer, see separate post for more photos of the build.  Hope you are all keeping safe and well and thanks for all the amazing updates in this and other groups, which are helping to keep me sane!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2