Lockdown Fen 4mm W&U(ish)

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

This is where it all started. SMS were overwhelmed with orders during Lockdown so I had a good opportunity for a bit of "planning"..the sidings as built will easily cope with 3 10' WB wagons plus the odd slightly longer cattle wagon or horsebox

49912291086_75c3885cbc_z.jpg

49912292626_d2ca7b8c1c_c.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Captain Kernow said:

I think this all looks rather fantastic. I'd love to see some more photos, please.

Thanks - here's a picture of the boards in their home.

49911774258_0ccf9958b5_c.jpg

and under construction....although it was a "quick build" I felt it needed  a water feature...so I made some modifications during board construction. This changed as the project progressed but the canal stayed in situ.

49911774503_74cf67e6cb_z.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

TBH the Fiddle yard needs a second smaller box - but I can fit everything else in there with it.

I do like a quick getaway from shows and this wins the dismantling prize so far.....but seriously I can leave the layout quite happily in my semi-insulated shed with no worries about damp, rodents etc...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Gilbert said:

TBH the Fiddle yard needs a second smaller box - but I can fit everything else in there with it.

I do like a quick getaway from shows and this wins the dismantling prize so far.....but seriously I can leave the layout quite happily in my semi-insulated shed with no worries about damp, rodents etc...

and its quite addictive..

50541866091_ec56207590_z.jpg

50541140513_a9e5c8cdee_z.jpg

• Like 11
  • Funny 1

That's rather impressive and it does make me think of a small project that I have in mind (Can't blame you entirely, that sheep bloke started it...) But it will  have to wait a while so that I can get my current not so much bigger layout sorted.

Your layout is also the final straw in my plan to admire and learn from others work and quietly get on with mine.

Time to start my own thread.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, SteveyDee68 said:

Have you shared this build on a Facebook group, by any chance? It looks awfully familiar, particularly around the canal/line between buildings end! If so, looking forward to seeing it on a larger screen than my mobile!

Steve S

I put a few photos on the Micro layouts group back in May Steve. I plan to go back and post construction photos here.

Chris

Edited by Gilbert
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning Chris, 

Can I ask, what are the origins of the brick built road bridge ? 

Rob. 

• RMweb Gold
Just now, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

Can I ask, what are the origins of the brick built road bridge ? 

Rob. 

Morning Rob

IIRC it is bodged from an HO US Design Preservation Model modular arch - as in these photos found on the "Rails" website. I have a lots of bits in my stash. Their parts often pop up as background buildings on UK 4mm layouts

Chris

DPM35300.jpg?preset=large

DPM36000.jpg?preset=large

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I made up my own end boards which could be attached later in the job. I also wanted a lighting pelmet so I designed this in early on along with the point motor switch locations and the NCE PCP panel location. I used the SMS boards but increased the depth below the board top slightly with some strip wood - which also helped keep everything rigid and took a bit of stress off the centre section which is permanently bolted together.

49911780438_c0810cc3a4_c.jpg

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

As the boards are MDF I primed them as soon as I could to avoid any moisture issues. I had the grey made up at B&Q to match Halfords spray primer which helps with any later touching up.

49911781088_1cb093b92a_z.jpg

I used one of SMS's small boards for the "off-stage" shunting track, I should have read the dimensions - they are shallower than the main boards and I needed to make up some feet to ensure the board tops were level. On my latest project I've just used a third board so levels are set.

49911781328_65bf1da20a_c.jpg

49912293061_4d47510e19_z.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Morning Rob

IIRC it is bodged from an HO US Design Preservation Model modular arch - as in these photos found on the "Rails" website. I have a lots of bits in my stash. Their parts often pop up as background buildings on UK 4mm layouts

Chris

This is another piece I was using as a test piece for brick painting

49911778243_b0a3651d50_z.jpg

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1