Lockdown Fen 4mm W&U(ish)

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

Next steps....3mm cork down, bit of terrain made from ready mixed filler with a bit of paint added. I've also added the 3mm ply I use at baseboard joints to give a more consistent and stronger foundation for track joints. You can see in later photos the bit of board left in as a bridge has gone - levels didn't work out.

49912303796_f054cdd200_z.jpg

49912305191_ba9793edba_c.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Track levels being tested. One point worth making is that I used Cobalt PMs with their right angle adapter and it was very tight fitting in their locations during the planning of the "water feature"...

49912600792_f3d38e24c8_z.jpg

49912305786_eaa62550bc_z.jpg

49911789783_a1f7456277_z.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Next step was to plan the road and foam board pavement...to say everything was "selectively compressed" would be charitable. I had spent some time researching the Wisbech and Upwell and had a range of scenic elements I wanted to include. Rails in the roadway was one of them.

49911789723_06d538ff2e_z.jpg

• Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I have been looking at Petite Properties. They certainly take all the hard work out of scratch building. None of the dull measuring and marking out. Only downside I can see is that I have no use for them. :scratchhead:

I have thought though that a couple could be incorporated into the initial design of a layout as you have.

• Like 1

Have to say that the road overbridge at the back of the scene just behind the rail overbridge brilliantly disguises the "water meets backscene" joint. I have a strong urge to steal that idea, although no idea where to use it yet! The petite properties shops are just so modelogenic (is that a word?!)

Although I saw this in the FB thread, am thoroughly enjoying seeing this all again!

Steve S

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

That bridge certainly drew my attention. It's a great piece of picture composition that stops a layout edge looking like a geological model of a slice of strata. I am planning on hiding my river with a sharp bend and overhanging trees as per the real location.

Hopefully it will work! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Inevitable question - what did you use for the wall covering(s)? Looks very good.

I'm not a great fan of printed finishes but I think the downloaded brickpapers from Scale scenes are very good. I used some of PP's own brickpaper on some of the buildings on Penmaenbach (Summer 2019) but while I've kept the wall finishes I've re-done the paper roofs with laser cut tiles painted and weathered.

50604767367_c157c415d6_z.jpg

I've built some arches for the next project but my personal jury is still out and I'm 99% certain to use a painted and weathered finish

50451867952_55d0f66e34_z.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I have been looking at Petite Properties. They certainly take all the hard work out of scratch building. None of the dull measuring and marking out. Only downside I can see is that I have no use for them. :scratchhead:

I have thought though that a couple could be incorporated into the initial design of a layout as you have.

I've used them as background buildings previously and I think they work well.

48653219571_ce94f2e76c_c.jpg

48653313452_ec09e891fe_c.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Gold

I decided I wanted some signature structures and set about making a GER loading gauge. As usual photos were hard to come by until after I'd completed it...... I used some dimensions from an article in MRJ on a SR version plus some sketches from the photos I did find. It was soldered up from BH Code 75 rail.

49912312006_979fdabbd9_z.jpg

49912309756_457263f2f3_z.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

I found a better picture of the loading gauge. Its being held in some tweezers in this picture.

49912611287_e944ef4e5b_z.jpg

Another signature W&U structure is the water tank at Wisbech. This model is about 3/4 size but looks the part. Strip wood base with Grandt Line NBW plastic parts and a styrene tank with Archer rivets.

49912612132_6ab7542e5c_z.jpg

and here's the yard office - prototypical W&U as modelled by Hornby and repainted by me. Signs by Scalescenes from one of their Hornby Magazine freebies.

49912610262_10d31be6e8_z.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 13

5 hours ago, Gilbert said:

I've used them as background buildings previously and I think they work well.

48653219571_ce94f2e76c_c.jpg

48653313452_ec09e891fe_c.jpg

I rather like that workshop! 

Which gives me yet another idea that I don't have room / money / time for!

Something similar will have to appear in one of my paintings instead. That's usually how I get it out of my system!

• Friendly/supportive 1