Lockdown Fen 4mm W&U(ish)

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I wouldn't worry about the type of coupling you choose, so long as it suits your purposes. There are some and we have all met them, who can drone on for hours about how you have chosen the wrong coupling.....

Thanks - I find Kadees go down very well with most of the crowd at shows....playing trains...will it catch on?

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

What a smashing little layout. I do love small ones like this. Reminds me of another Fens based layout I have seen in recent years although I’m not sure of the name, Fen Drove perhaps?

**got it, Nene Wharf

Thank you for sharing it’s construction. Always plenty of tips to pick up.

Izzy

Edited by Izzy
add layout name
  • Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Izzy said:

What a smashing little layout. I do love small ones like this. Reminds me of another Fens based layout I have seen in recent years although I’m not sure of the name, Fen Drove perhaps?

**got it, Nene Wharf

Thank you for sharing it’s construction. Always plenty of tips to pick up.

Izzy

Nene Wharf (found on the (Gaugemaster website) - nicely done.

ow201617.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
Just now, 37114 said:

Another great layout Chris, it definitely screams W&U.

Thaks Rob

One of my favourite parts of the process is tracking down research resources and trying to use signature elements.

Some of it is not accurate - the W&U line tended to run parallel to houses rather than emerge from between them but I've been inspired by other layouts as well. Bridport is one of my favourite layouts for example:

Bridport Town 11.jpg

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning Chris, 

The whole W&U thing does make the emerging from the backscene a bit of a challenge.  Alex, with his splendid Upwell Drove has adopted a similar approach as yourself. 

I've not decided as of yet,  how I will tackle this on Outwool. 

Rob. 

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Morning Chris, 

The whole W&U thing does make the emerging from the backscene a bit of a challenge.  Alex, with his splendid Upwell Drove has adopted a similar approach as yourself. 

I've not decided as of yet,  how I will tackle this on Outwool. 

Rob. 

I'm sure you'll find a way...the water tower is used on LDF to hide dead end and could equally well be a view block.

There are ways of using lots of trees and a signal box in the background at Wisbech...have a look for Elm Road?

• Like 1

I am disappearing the trains off one end of my layout by having the crossing keepers house (it could be anybody's house though) on the viewing side of the track.

Perhaps for somewhere even more rural, a corrugated iron fruit box store. They were quite common once.  Just a plain building with a hint at the lines purpose?

Just a thought is all.

• Like 2

Yes, this going off-scene is brain sapping!!!   I have come to the conclusion that Welney will have a SCATS warehouse.   With Welney on one 3'6" board, the other, of the same length, will have the fiddle (both boards one foot wide).   I propose to run the backscene on the latter diagonally from behind the angled SCATS building which will have its sidings in front and the mainline behind disappearing through the backscene into the fiddle.   Trees will be planted between the leading rear edge of SCATS, with the mainline, to blend into the backscene.   Time will tell if it works!!!   Bear in mind that my layout is purely for the enjoyment of W&U shunting operations (in BR days) as opposed to being of exhibition standard as Chris as beautifully done. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
On 16/11/2020 at 20:01, Gilbert said:

and a bit of dry-brushing a la Roger Nicholls (for them that know him and his prolific layout building activities...)

Really like this. Showing again that a simple track plan can be used in so many ways, but evoking a definite location.

And I think you're approaching the prolific now ... :) 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

I just used either a couple of buildings or sloped the backscene back behind the 'proscenium arch' on Fried Egg Bridge. seemed to work for me.......

Disgusting of Market Harborough

20170423_095452.jpg

20170916_151950.jpg

Nice to see FB, Dave. 

Rob. 

• Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

I just used either a couple of buildings or sloped the backscene back behind the 'proscenium arch' on Fried Egg Bridge. seemed to work for me.......

Disgusting of Market Harborough

20170423_095452.jpg

20170916_151950.jpg

Nice work - space in no space - excellent.

• Agree 3