Lockdown Fen 4mm W&U(ish)

Gilbert

This is how I did it on my Fen land based layout. The photo of the water tower is old and the layout has been completely rebuilt and improved since this photo was taken. The mpd is still the same layout because of its visual effect in obscuring the exit from this board..

1201357667_tram2.jpg.11fcfec41fd3f7e4acc098a30fb18af6.jpg

The second photo shows the usual view with a Tram parked obscuring the view of the fiddle yard entrance. Water tower and crane is scratch built, track is PCB in EM gauge, this is the most recent incarnation of the Upbech board.

1507926765_tram1.JPG.120b16cd36624f1049f65a7b44a76833.JPG

Hope this is of interest.

Martyn

Edited by mullie
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, mullie said:

This is how I did it on my Fen land based layout. The photo of the water tower is old and the layout has been completely rebuilt and improved since this photo was taken. The mpd is still the same layout because of its visual effect in obscuring the exit from this board..

1201357667_tram2.jpg.11fcfec41fd3f7e4acc098a30fb18af6.jpg

Hope this is of interest.

Martyn

Great minds....no exit...but there could be...

49912309871_74346c1ba3_z.jpg

• Like 10

Thank you to all who have brought up the water tank.   Putting a complete tender 'up in the air' seemed gross on my Welney project.   So I have been looking at the smaller 'branch-line' versions such as those illustrated.   What available parts are recommended for the tanks, please?   The supports coming from balsa strip for the type i like.   Colin.

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Thank you to all who have brought up the water tank.   Putting a complete tender 'up in the air' seemed gross on my Welney project.   So I have been looking at the smaller 'branch-line' versions such as those illustrated.   What available parts are recommended for the tanks, please?   The supports coming from balsa strip for the type i like.   Colin.

I can't really help as mine was scratch-built, however I see that Wills do a kit SS34 which is a water tank on a stone base. For less than a tenner, you could discard the stone base and just use the tank sections.

Al

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, coline33 said:

My tank was styrene sheet and evergreen strips - rivets were Archer decals - fiddly but doable. Support was stained stripwood from my US modelling stash. Ladder was a long signal ladder - MSE I think.

Open topped with an insert of clear plastic sprayed Humbrol Olive drab on the underside (same as my canal)

The prototype actually looks pretty big in photos so it is "downsized"

Edited by Gilbert
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, wiggoforgold said:

The tank at Upwelling Drove used panels from a Wills vari girder bridge on a base from Plastruct strip.

Alex

You've reminded me I need some undergrowth around my tank....

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

"Model Railway Buildings - www.cwrailways.com" https://www.cwrailways.com/building-parts.html#

You can also get the familiar Braithwaite pattern tank panels at 50p each and build your own.

This style of panel dates back to at least 1900 and I have also seen them used for the sides of bridges.

4352975_b1cc783b.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no load!
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

8 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

I’m surprised you haven’t suggested a panzer tank :P

Do you know what those things do to the gallon? 

Even less than b#ses.

There may be a big daft lump of iron appear on my layout, but it's one of ours and that's on you for getting everyone all enthused about Lowmacs. :good:

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've been after a Drewry and when I saw that Sparkshot do a body I raided the casualty department for an old 03 chassis with dodgy coupling rods.

50667950081_c7a06fbd6f_z.jpg

Surplus bits removed and hard wired it ran fine on DC so I ordered a kit. Bits are here - I received 2 sets of buffers as there was a minor glitch with the first order.

50667204888_a0c2a588f1_z.jpg

All seems well...I shaved a bit too much off one of the internal mounting points during clean up and needed to add a sliver of styrene to keep everything level.

50667204668_af0424abe1_z.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I added some bits - the LMS buffers are close enough for me. Although those in the kit are very nice I wanted something a little bit more robust for layout handling.

I also have some 3-link couplings on order. I normally use Kadees but will use a suitably equipped brake van as a "convertor wagon" in this case for shunting on LDF.

50667948176_a71042fd8c_z.jpg

The cow-catchers are so nice I did'nt want to mess with them.

50668024152_334ac7f374_z.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

That's looking jolly good, Chris. 

Splendid stuff. 

I can see one coming my way after Crimbo. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1