Lockdown Fen 4mm W&U(ish)

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Knuckles said:

I might pinch the mounting block idea.  Seems a good call. :)

Very much looking forward to your finished result.

I agree - pre-drilled with matching hole in footplate would be ideal. What I did was a bit fiddly. I suspect block would need to be decent size given nature of the resin.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 5 weeks later...

Gilbert, a month has now passed and festivities are now over, so look forward to seeing the latest update on the 04 progress.   I noted your comment about replacing the buffers by metal ones as my layout is very much a shunting one - especially in the fruit season!   I am relying on your endeavours to encourage me to replace the two Bachmann Mavis's I use at Welney depot!!!   Wishing you and LDF the very best for 2021, Colin.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Gilbert, a month has now passed and festivities are now over, so look forward to seeing the latest update on the 04 progress.   I noted your comment about replacing the buffers by metal ones as my layout is very much a shunting one - especially in the fruit season!   I am relying on your endeavours to encourage me to replace the two Bachmann Mavis's I use at Welney depot!!!   Wishing you and LDF the very best for 2021, Colin.   

Some progress has been made. Indeed all was ready to prime when the shell decided to dismount from the painting cradle and self destruct on the garage floor....a new body has been purchased and slightly more care taken...fortunately all handrails etc were recovered and re-used...the old body has been used for paint trials! This was a test of a finishing primer over the initial Halfords coat.

50776106191_eacd5b2128_z.jpg

50775348198_a07b8e58ca_z.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

There's more.....first side of numbering etc...I'm not 100% happy with the finish on the buffer beams but they will most probably be quite difficult to see in detail once buffers, couplings and cow catchers are in situ..

50810739657_07cb5813b3_c.jpg

50809882533_aa6e2a122f_c.jpg

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Gilbert said:

There's more.....first side of numbering etc...I'm not 100% happy with the finish on the buffer beams but they will most probably be quite difficult to see in detail once buffers, couplings and cow catchers are in situ..

50810739657_07cb5813b3_c.jpg

50809882533_aa6e2a122f_c.jpg

What transfers are you using Chris? 

R

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Ah! 

I will be using those for renumbering the J70...

I can usually get better results with pressfix than waterslide but that's probably me...I've run out of "1"s now though so I need a new sheet!

Loco I used for reference was 11101  but guess what...

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Bungus the Fogeyman said:

Don't tell me.......... unlike 11102/D2202, its not vacuum-fitted........

Disgusting of Market Harborough

A fair point - no evidence of vacuum pipes on 11101 but yes on 11102. I need to dig out my spares box....

• RMweb Gold

More progress - transfers added and paint work tidied up. Cab just roughly in place. Buffer beams need a slightly more orange red added but nearly there.

50818019746_6176d2b1d3_c.jpg

I've also replaced the "slightly" incorrect stack...I'd been ignoring it until I had a very diplomatic message from one of the regulars! It needed sorting so I'm grateful....

50817275758_5995aee449_c.jpg

I won't go mad on final assembly until I've got a decoder, speaker etc in place. When everything is completed I'll replace that broken grab knob on the right side front steps. Not much point until its the last job.....it will only get broken again...in the meantime I'll sort out some glazing and some vacuum pipes.

Buffers and 3-links are ready.

Although I use Kadees to play trains this loco will have a matched KD-equipped brakevan for shunting and Lockdown Fen has no run round to worry about.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• 2 weeks later...