Lockdown Fen 4mm W&U(ish)

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold
25 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Finished...

50902538122_08f93f3ef8_z.jpg

Well done Chris. 

Really nice job and a true reflection of the effort put in. 

Spot on. 

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, coline33 said:

Well done, that looks absolutely great.   Now to set up mass-producing these!   You should have a market and I be first to order and supply the mech!!!   Nothing like a second string to your bow!   Superb job.

You can't see the cracks on the other side...I think its fair to say... I could be less clumsy....

This has been a very useful learning exercise but please note the slightest bump or pressure can easily damage a part. I will need to handle this loco carefully when I use it on the layout. This is not a criticism of the kit. The resin is brittle - it is the nature of the polymer – and I was a little heavy handed at times.

Chris

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

It does look great, the repairs and construction are first class. This is one of the few diesels which I have seen where the paintwork has an oily sheen about it. That is something I have noticed with the real thing, particularly the smaller, low speed examples that cover short distances. High speed mainline locos weather very differently, more akin to lorries.

I bounced a resin box van and took all four corners off the roof, ended up making a 10 thou overlay. So I think that the moral is - They're trains, not tennis balls. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, coline33 said:

Well done, that looks absolutely great.   Now to set up mass-producing these!   You should have a market and I be first to order and supply the mech!!!   Nothing like a second string to your bow!   Superb job.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a bit of video...

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get a bit of video...

Ewe mean vid joe.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 7 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Just blasted through this whole thread, a great model and captures the W&U perfectly. I also wasn't aware of the Sparkshot 04, for now I am going to buy some cow catchers and sideskirts from him for a rough and ready bodge on a Bachmann Junior Charlie loco, but now I know it's available, I shall eventually get a full kit to convert a Bachmann 03 (that'll be after the SMS Operation Shunt it competition has ended).

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
35 minutes ago, NickBrad said:

Just blasted through this whole thread, a great model and captures the W&U perfectly. I also wasn't aware of the Sparkshot 04, for now I am going to buy some cow catchers and sideskirts from him for a rough and ready bodge on a Bachmann Junior Charlie loco, but now I know it's available, I shall eventually get a full kit to convert a Bachmann 03 (that'll be after the SMS Operation Shunt it competition has ended).

Go careful Nick - the 3D prints are not as robust as some other materials.

Chris

• Like 1

I did consider trying to aquire and stretch if necessary some parts from the Rapido J70, but I'm not actually sure on the availability of spares for those. I did technically get some spare cowcatchers with my J70, (non-cutout version for use with alternative couplings,) but if I used them, I'd still need to fabricate some sideskirts, something I'm not sure I have the skills to do yet.

• Like 2

• 8 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

A Lockdown Fen update....an appearance in Railway Modeller is due early in 2023 and show appearances are pencilled in for Monmouth on 12 February and Yate on 18 February.

The layout has also recently acted a test bed for another project which will use Spratt and Winkle couplings on pre-nationalisation rolling stock..for those interested the Kadee magnet that sits between the rails (on the bridge on LDF) works perfectly well with S&Ws.

52239927813_3304a92cb9_z.jpg

52238940667_8dd3b53990_z.jpg

Chris H

• Like 16
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

As noted earlier LDF is a useful test track for Sprat & Winkle couplers which I'm trying out for a future project.

Some Powsides/Slaters kits are nearing completion and a few RTR wagons are being dealt with as well.

52548767496_073f4ce3ef_z.jpg

52548767396_c89fb9afde_z.jpg

52548305527_9382892ac7_z.jpg

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Gilbert said:

and a bit of FOD....

Is that the Easter Iron Mines jobbie? 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

Maybe....

Leave it with me........I have a cunning plan..

• Like 2