Tree Building using plastic armatures in 4mm scale

MAP66

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, sb67 said:

The tree looks fantastic Mark and the diorama is coming along nicely. Great stuff :good:

Thank Steve,

I am very pleased with the tree and I will definitely use Mr Gravett's methods again. Its taken longer than expected to complete this diorama as life keeps on getting in the way, which means I can only grab a few minutes working on it every now and again. It will get done though, eventually, :slow: with the occasional kick up the backside.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

That's exquisite Mark.

As I have discovered, it's easy to make trees that look "tree-like". It's much harder to make them look like a particular species, and even harder to make a particular species look just right. You've done the latter here, really impresssive work.

The oak will need a lot of space, is it for another diorama?

Thanks Mikkel for your kind words, very much appreciated.

Before I started on making trees, I had mistakenly thought them to be a 'dark art' whereby, only the very skilled and knowledgeable modeller could achieve convincing looking results. At the time, I just wanted something which did not look plastic and resemble sticks of broccoli, like some of the out of the packet trees do. As you have said "discovered", by having a go its surprising what you can achieve and the mysteries of tree making dissolve away.

I had not considered dioramas at this point, that only happened when I discovered, to my surprise, that constructing trees was producing reasonable results, so I thought they need to be displayed. I say this like I have a production line, but in truth I have only constructed a total of 5 trees so far, using a mixture of plastic and wire armatures and all have turned out reasonably well. You do need a bit of patience though and the commitment and belief in ones abilities to have ago. I had no idea that the Silver Birch would work when I took it on, I was  about 10% confident of success but I still went for it and the first attempt, although passable, was not good enough in my view. It was Gordons book which revealed to me the other methods and materials to use for achieving more realistic results.

The Oak tree is destined for another diorama, I was going for another Cake Box size base but need to see how that would fit the tree. I am planning a modern era park type scene for this one.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Not planning an HS2 protest scene then? 

Funny you should mention Broccoli, my (adult) daughter used exactly that word when seeing my trees first time :lol:

• Funny 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

The Colonel is in the garden while enjoying a read of the morning paper, a gentle southerly breeze teases the pages causing them to rustle. In a moment he will glance upwards and realise that his cock (weather vane) has seized up!! it's pointing in a North Easterly direction. He really should have addressed that creeping ivy much sooner, as its entwinned itself around the weather vane. Time to get the ladder out of the garage Colonel. 

1053966497_20210820_1633111.jpg.90ef8ecea9cb069f4153e488e2e50ce4.jpg1300374376_20210820_1619041.jpg.d5749b2761ec3eaae41564ca11bba947.jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium

Well I've started on the veggie plot and so far we have runner beans, leeks, turnips and tomatoes. The frame for the runner beans is made from micro rod to resemble bamboo canes. The turnips, leeks and toms are out of the packet and vastly overscale which is a shame but I just wanted to see how they would look. Next will be some carrots, onions and maybe lettuce. On the garage doors I have added a hasp and staple lock. Its nearing completion now, thankfully. However, we are in the process of selling up and moving so most of my modelling gear is packed away with only stuff left out to complete this diorama. I bet there is something that I have forgotten to leave out :slow:

20210826_184629[1].jpg

20210826_184944[1].jpg

20210826_185628[1].jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 3

• RMweb Gold

Excellent modelling, again. I didn't really notice that the tomatoes are overscale. In fact they just make me hungry :)

Do we know what's hidden in the garage? 

image.png.22374363b988508f014464b0efbeb0b1.png

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mikkel said:

Excellent modelling, again. I didn't really notice that the tomatoes are overscale. In fact they just make me hungry :)

Do we know what's hidden in the garage? 

image.png.22374363b988508f014464b0efbeb0b1.png

Thanks again Mikkel,

I think the tomatoes can just about pass for the larger beef/steak variety, they must eat a lot of Steaks :) Its the leaves which are overscale with the out of the packet vegetable plants.

Re. the garage, I'm afraid I cheated as its empty, there is a black Austin 7 to go on the drive though. Is that a shot of the inside of your garage with a restoration project awaiting?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

After picking some nice carrots to go in with this evenings stew, the Colonels wife has noticed that the water butt is missing!!

Oh, and the tree is back.

453488454_20210830_2226071.jpg.8d102cbc7ee284057f0708bdacc46cf9.jpg

And this ones from over the fence. A one sided discussion about what's for dinner as the Colonel has disappeared, no doubt hiding somewhere out of sight.

1460708306_20210830_2250491.jpg.d4bd10feebcb8807104f90c01d949ab7.jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

After discovering the reason for the lack of water pressure from the hose pipe, Mr. Corbyn contemplates a better solution for attaching the hose to the tap.

Suddenly, his concentration is broken by the sound of a woman's voice from the kitchen window "Jeremy dear, how long are you going to be? Your jam is boiling over".

Bother, says Mr Corbyn, I've still got the runner beans and tomatoes to water. 

466892917_20210906_1823022.jpg.2bfbb565e71817cabaf701663da2c3a0.jpg 

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope you don't plan on sitting in that, you've only done half the lawn and don't forget to water the plot and finish putting more compost down.

Yes dear!! Spot of bother with the mower, I was going to sit here and read the manual.

Manual, when have you ever read a manual, why don't you just kick it or hit it with your hammer. That's what you normally do and I haven't forgiven you for ruining the jam.

Sorry dear!!

402133684_20210907_1730311.jpg.7d72fb59b624c5696cd7b0c4517caf49.jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 6
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold

Brilliant Mark, I laughed out loud at "I was going to sit here and read the manual" :D

A close study of those last two photos really highlights just how good this diorama is. That kind of soil isn't easy to get right, I think.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Mikkel,

Funny you should mention about the soil as I wasn't sure what to use to represent it. It just so happens that a while back when I was drilling holes in the wall ready to put some shelves up that the brick dust created from drilling, first through the plaster, and then into the red brickwork resulted in a very fine dust, hmm I thought.

I then dry mixed the dust with some burnt umber weathering powder and hey presto I had soil. Within the red brick dust there were minute lighter coloured fragments which represent the stones etc. which you get with soil which you can see in the diorama. The soil mixture was then carefully sprinkled onto dilute pva and gently tamped down. 

Not sure if you got the reference about Mr Corbyn (former Labour Party Leader) and the Jam making. I think the male figure looks like him. Its from a 2016 news article with a loose link to trains; https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/jeremy-corbyn-traingate-labour-leader-jam-a7211486.html 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh good, finally a use for the drilling dust. Must remember that.

I did wonder if it was that Corbyn, but didn't know about the jam story. 

Incidentally I think that figure must be a good seller for Model U. It's been cropping up in various guises on here recently. It lends itself very well to captions, something about the pose.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Same scene with different characters lawnmower and tree, I posted this on the 'Show us Yours - Realistic Modelling' thread (pg 95) and it went down very well. Thought I ought to post it here as well, just in case any one missed it.

Really Stan, I don't think it necessary to take a break after only doing half the lawn. It is only 4mm scale after all.

1705753104_20210910_1642021.jpg.cac3b16eac370a2eff05c076b54260f0.jpg

Edited by MAP66
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Evening Mark, 

What a thoroughly informative and enjoyable thread you have. 

Just spendid. 

Rob. 

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, NHY 581 said:

Evening Mark, 

What a thoroughly informative and enjoyable thread you have. 

Just spendid. 

Rob. 

Thank you Rob,

I've never had so many likes in one go, very much appreciated Sir.

Best regards

Mark

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, SouthernBlue80s said:

Really informative, It has encouraged me to try and build a tree myself at some point.

I like the detail in your recent garden diorama pictures.

All the best.

Steve

Thank you Steve,

There is plenty of scope for a railway line to have allotments running along side it or back gardens backing onto a railway so loads of scenery options and detailing is possible in a very small area. Good luck with the tree.

All the best

Mark

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
On 01/11/2021 at 06:47, Mikkel said:

Good to see Stan and his wife in BRM. That calls for another rest in the desk chair!

Hi Mikkel,

Sorry I didn't get back sooner, I only received the December edition of BRM in the post this morning so wanted to check it was true that Stan and his Mrs had made an appearance. The BRM team hadn't mentioned it to me so it was a real surprise when you made the comment last week. I thought nah, that can't be true.

Anyway, well pleased that it is true and thank you BRM for featuring my little garden diorama.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1