Painting Q

Hello,

Some time ago I started paining a caboose for my HO US railroad. The idea was to paint the cupola and body mid-yellow with black roof and underframe. I started with the cupola, because I added grab irons to the roof I decided to give it a coat of primer to cover some gaps between the wire and the plastic which had been puttied. Once this was done I started painting, however after a few coats I noticed that I was a hard time obtaining an uniform covering - the white from the primer still shows up under the yellow. Because it's an old MDC caboose much of the planking detail is shallow and the successive coats were hiding some of the detail. Because of this I stopped adding more coats and considered removing and starting over...until COVID struck drying up all supplies of alcohol. Now I want to resume the project however how do I get a nice uniform coat on without covering details up? Also, If I paint a black surface (such as the caboose body once I get rid of its original paint) a light colour, do I need to coat the body in primer or can I just throw paint directly? Also, how to obtain a nice, uniform coating which does not reveal the undercolour? I'm using Vallejo paints, btw.

Cheers Nicholas

• 3 weeks later...

Are brushing or spraying? I find brush painting large models with acrylic paint difficult because the thinner in the new paint “pulls” the previous coat. I have painted a Roundhouse caboose in CP Rail yellow using rattle can white primer ( I think - it was a while ago) with a top coat of Tamiya rattle can spray

8 minutes ago, doctor quinn said:

Are brushing or spraying? I find brush painting large models with acrylic paint difficult because the thinner in the new paint “pulls” the previous coat. I have painted a Roundhouse caboose in CP Rail yellow using rattle can white primer ( I think - it was a while ago) with a top coat of Tamiya rattle can spray

I'm using an airbrush.

Cheers Nicholas