Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

I like the look of the point motors, Rob. 

In a move akin to Dylan going electric, I am contemplating using point motors on my next project......maybe.....ish....sort of. 

R

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Mick Bonwick said:

Eeek!

It probably won't happen.......but never say never..

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

They're really very simple Rob, there's a paper template you put on the centre line of the point, drill three holes and you're done.

I had complicated matters by setting things up for mechanical operation.

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I particularly like that rotten bottom.

Sprouts. That'll do it. 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

They're really very simple Rob, there's a paper template you put on the centre line of the point, drill three holes and you're done.

I had complicated matters by setting things up for mechanical operation.

That sounds remarkably simply. Clearly invented with sheep in mind. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I particularly like that rotten bottom.

That's a statement you've probably never made before in your entire life! :D

But thank you!

I just ragged it with a craft knife, painted the whole thing black, then sploshed earth brown over the damaged areas before dry brushing the black over the top. It's a lot easier than trying to paint in tiny splintered edges.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

The trouble with posts that contain funny, interesting and thought-provoking content is that you don't know which response to make when there's only one that you can select from the choice.

Ragging and sploshing. I just love this technical talk.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

That sounds remarkably simply. Clearly invented with sheep in mind. 

I had always avoided point motors, I think that it's a relic of the days when the general opinion was for 1/2" chipboard baseboards and 1/2" sundeala on top of that and you dug a vast pit (to aircraft tolerances of course) to fit the motor under the point itself, plus you needed to be a telephone engineer to wire it all up...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mick Bonwick said:

The trouble with posts that contain funny, interesting and thought-provoking content is that you don't know which response to make when there's only one that you can select from the choice.

Ragging and sploshing. I just love this technical talk.

Very true and it's nice to avoid sounding like a university lecturer in biological sciences (I have written far too many engineers reports, risk assessments, method statements and lesson plans to get excited by being over erudite) because far too many people try to make creativity seem like a black art or bomb disposal.

I think that such things discourage people from doing something that is just supposed to be fun. I know that we can congratulate ourselves on creating a 3d history book and blah blah, but most of us do it for entertainment.

Mind you, I have been known to use the term "ragging" for something entirely different!

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Depends whether you are referring to their manufacture, or their flight paths...

Plus or minus half a thou'.

Me attempting to chain drill chipboard as a thirteen year old would have resulted in your DC3 reversing intoa mountain...

• Funny 1

11 minutes ago, 57xx said:

That'll be why I'm a happy omnivore. :)

The only way we can stop cows from farting the planet into oblivion is to eat them.

Plus I look silly in anything other than boots made of cow.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The only way we can stop cows from farting the planet into oblivion is to eat them.

"Save the planet, eat more cows"

I can just imagine the head fart that would reverberate throughout the eco world if that particular remedy was mooted......

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Funny 5

22 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

"Save the planet, eat more cows"

I can just imagine the head fart that would reverberate throughout the eco world if that particular remedy was mooted......

They also get very upset when you point out that there is not enough suitable arable land to feed the western population should they all become vegetarians, never mind the entire planet.

Perhaps we can cut down some pesky rain forest to grow more soya?

The other thing that is guaranteed to wind them up is to point out that soya is a heavily modified crop...

But I digress, here at Firkham Hall, we believe that the world ended circa 1965, which is fine, because it's still only about 1963, same as it was last year. ;)

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

They also get very upset when you point out that there is not enough suitable arable land to feed the western population should they all become vegetarians, never mind the entire planet.

It is my understanding that, from the point of view of calories only, livestock production uses 10 or more times as much land as arable does for an equivalent calory output.  So should the western population become vegetarian the amount of land used for food production would decrease significantly  and not increase as claimed.

• Agree 4

The problem with arable crops being that the land which is currently used for the cultivation of livestock is not suited to growing of arable crops (too wet / cold / hilly / rocky etc.)           

It would not be possible to replace the meat with a matching amount of vegetable crop sufficient to feed everyone. Humans are designed to eat whatever they can find. 

The real problem is not that there are too many cows, there's too many humans and has been for about forty years.

Whilst the number of children born to European populations and populations of European descent has decreased significantly, elsewhere births have at least continued at the same rate as always.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The problem with arable crops being that the land which is currently used for the cultivation of livestock is not suited to growing of arable crops (too wet / cold / hilly / rocky etc.) and it would not be possible to replace the meat with a matching amount of vegetable crop sufficient to feed everyone

There are some areas where this is true but does not change the fact that arable production in general uses much less land than livestock for the same calory output.

Goats and sheep use, or rather can use, land not suitable for arable production and traditionally did so but today sheep and cows mostly use land highly suitable for arable crops.  About 6% of western diets, by calorific value, is animal origin whereas 40% of agricultural land is used for livestock.  There is a strong correlation between per capita GDP and % of animal products in diets which is a strong indication that animal protein is a choice not a necessity.