Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Thanks everyone, I really am winging this, I'd recommend anyone have a go.

You'll no doubt be relieved to hear that as far as the oven goes, we went with sparkling clean rather than ethnically cleansed. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

My thoughts exactly.

I've not done an awful lot of modelling today. I have managed to get the stray fibres hoovered up and saved for future use.

I've found that you have to be very careful not to let the hoover nozzle touch down, as it has the effect of a lawnmower. 

I've sealed everything with extra hold hairspray, thoughtfully purchased for me.

IMG_20211003_180839.jpg.ce382c8061606fea3fb99adde14a68a6.jpg

The random little tufts of grass seem to have worked well.

IMG_20211003_181128.jpg.9f175122e0a1253a8abd691c39b0650b.jpg

Eeyore's Boggy Patch with darker taller grass around it. I'm going to have fun making the Cracked Willow that stands beside it. 

Progress has largely been interrupted by the joy of cleaning the oven (Oh boy, do we know how to have a romantic weekend or what?)

I jokingly suggested that the quickest solution might be a small, controlled explosion...

Miss R quite rightly pointed out - "Where's the fun in that?"

I seem to remember a 'P' (for plenty) somewhere in the formula for calculations....

Looking really good!

• Friendly/supportive 1

I remember a friend telling me about a minor miscalculation opening an armoured door somewhere in the former Yugoslavia and blowing the wall off the door instead of the other way around.

I think that one came under the heading of:  "Grrr.... Mindays!!"

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I've been able to get this little corner sorted by the level crossing. It will have a scruffy bit of hedge bordering the road, a field gate and perhaps a couple of larch trees to hide the backscene. When I get round to fitting it of course.

IMG_20211003_215509.jpg.a91e5f31550beac14997cd344a4cdb98.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

I doubt that I will get anything much done this week. One of the old Norton bikes I picked up is sold, IFI I can get it put together so that it looks more or less like a complete bike rather than a pile of bits. I can pretty much guarantee that there's something important / rare /  expensive missing. :rolleyes:

I may have to content myself with painting sheep!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Keep the applicator as close to the surface as possible and fit a new battery. 

There you go! 

I found it worked better with a new battery so I bought a battery charger and two rechargeable 9v batteries so I always have one charging while using the other

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

I bet someone has written a back story as convoluted as it is pretentious for that sheep exploiting piece of contemporary art...

You realise that could be the equivalent of a bus on a bridge over at Bleat Wharf? :D

I think I can already hear the drone of approaching bombers...

• Funny 3

Here we attend the realist school of sheep painting.

Or slosh them over with a 50/50 mix of Humbrol 34 & 121.

No need to mix too thoroughly!

Ignore until dry.  

IMG_20211003_232903.jpg.4ee641d845c9de453ddc9ce8a1ffd21a.jpg

It gives a more natural off white. What I should have done is paint them a darker shade first, then the lighter over the top, but I have thought of a way around it.

The grounded van is an old Tri-ang Insulfish body, painted LNER light grey and lettered C V RLY  in a blatant crib of the Bishops Castle Railway. 

It will be very faint once weathered!

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

The grass is looking jolly good, Rob. 

I always see this as the point at which life is added to the layout. Anything before this is the 'construction' phase and one to get past. 

I know there are those who seem content to be at the construction phase for years.  Normally because of some gargantuan project., just running trains in the meantime. I couldn't do that. It would seem never ending. I fell into that trap and vowed never to do that again. Bigger is not always better, ask a dinosaur next time you see one...........

I now consider myself to be more realistic. Life is too short. 

There is a bigger( by my standards) project likely in the not too distant future but I will still  keep it simple.......because I want to get it finished and enjoy it rather than stare at bare boards with track nailed on them..............

The grass stage is my favourite and rest assured is the beginning of the end........

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Here we attend the realist school of sheep painting.

Or slosh them over with a 50/50 mix of Humbrol 34 & 121.

No need to mix too thoroughly!

Ignore until dry.  

IMG_20211003_232903.jpg.327104c32fb0e17f6f3b3b7bc589ca62.jpg

It gives a more natural off white. What I should have done is paint them a darker shade first, then the lighter over the top, but I have thought of a way around it.

The grounded van is an old Tri-ang Insulfish body, painted LNER light grey and lettered C V RLY  in a blatant crib of the Bishops Castle Railway. 

It will be very faint once weathered!

Can't you just DIP them like Farmers do? haha.

Yes I know, I've already gone.:fie:

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4