Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I've been busy cleaning up the bits and pieces of the point rodding and trying to sort out what goes where. I kept things fairly simple in the signal box. The central levers are for the two crossovers, flanked each side by the relevant FPL levers, then the signals and the locking lever for the crossing gates.

So I will make the lead off board match up with this pattern.

Well, that's the plan anyway!

IMG_20210510_005350.jpg.43d19f24db8116beafbd20f88c86fa0d.jpg

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
Miscellaneous ineptitude
  • Like 7

I'm using the vacuum cleaner hose with one of Miss R's old stockings over the end and secured with an elastic band. If you poke most of the foot up into the hose you can pick up a lot of grass before the vacuum cleaner starts struggling to pick up.

Don't let the hose actually touch to baseboard though, it can actually pull off the fibres. Keep it about half an inch or more above.

I've been emptying the recovered static grass into jars for reuse.

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Alister_G said:

One wonders where the stereotypical batchelor railway modeller sources the necessary nylons for retrieving their static grass?

Al.

Trust me, it's the sort of item that us self-respecting bachelors always keep to hand...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Alister_G said:

Just in case you need a stocking mask to nip down to the bank?

Al.

Not needed nowadays. One of slightly more positive things about Covid was going into the bank with a mask on and asking to make a sizable withdrawal!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 10

Further layers made from some of the mixed fibres hoovered up from the rest of the layout.

IMG_20211011_221328.jpg.b39b04ce022e2bc726882bdb772b5112.jpg

It's still wet in the above photo, but it dries quickly.

IMG_20211011_221348.jpg.7f99040708fe966c91c20e94c752201e.jpg

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

Obviously he keeps a stocking in case the fan belt goes. Although if you work aloft up poles or scaffolding a pair of tights can mitigate a draft up the trousers or at least give you an excuse.

Work on the layout is going well

Don

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Motorcycles don't have fan belts, Miss R's car has a spare belt, hoses, points, condenser etc in a box in the boot. 

Never worn tights to keep warm, have in the past pinched girlfriends old leggings when out on the motorcycle, they were a bit on the small side and present a bit of a problem if you need a pee. 

I generally wear the fleece inner from an old pair of German tank overalls under my bike gear in winter. I'm told by the memsahib I look like some weird Nazi teddy bear...

Any bloke wandering around wearing lace topped stay ups from Victoria's Secret under his clothes isn't trying to stay warm...

It's only a small amount of momentum with the layout ATM, but it's getting there.

To be honest I am trying to work out what the area around the back (non railway) side of the cattle dock would look like. Most photos seem to have been taken in postwar days when everything was overgrown.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I've found the box containing the bits of the cattle dock. I'm still not sure about those signs @Graham T. They look a bit generic, but there may be someone on here who can give a definitive answer as to what, if any signage appeared around GWR cattle docks.

IMG_20211012_002054.jpg.0cb73a75e9e2110c48e1b488afceae82.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, Alister_G said:

One wonders where the stereotypical batchelor railway modeller sources the necessary nylons for retrieving their static grass?

Al.

Tesco (other supermarkets are available). I recommend the knee-high ones. No need to chop anything off.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
33 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Tesco (other supermarkets are available). I recommend the knee-high ones. No need to chop anything off.

No need to chop anything off what?

The clothing, or the person wearing it?

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 1

2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

No need to chop anything off what?

The clothing, or the person wearing it?

That crossed my mind too, I didn't want to ask in case we had stumbled from cross dressing to some kind of gender reassignment surgery.

• Funny 6

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

You may construe my remarks however you wish. It's a free country.

Oh, wait...

Or not.

I keep getting whacked on the muzzle with a rolled up newspaper for verbalising half of my thoughts.

BAD doggie!....

• Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Premium

Also invaluable for marmalade-making, where the recipe calls for a "muslin bag" to hold the pips. In this case flesh-coloured ones are recommended, as the dye in black or dark blue ones can leach out during prolonged immersion in simmering sugar solution. 

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That crossed my mind too, I didn't want to ask in case we had stumbled from cross dressing to some kind of gender reassignment surgery.

It's remarkable where these threads sometimes go ...

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
46 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

I used to put the hops in one leg of a pair of tights

I bet that left someone hopping mad!

47 minutes ago, Siberian Snooper said:

stockings.

Sorry, I'd been assuming tights throughout - the only stockings in this house are the sort that get hung up at Christmas.

• Funny 1