Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Getting back to modelling may I ask which grass applicator you are using please ?

I noticed in one of your photographs there was a WWS bottle, I purchased one of Martyn's first applicator sets and have been really pleased with it over the years of using it together with his mini applicator too.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bgman said:

Getting back to modelling may I ask which grass applicator you are using please ?

I noticed in one of your photographs there was a WWS bottle, I purchased one of Martyn's first applicator sets and have been really pleased with it over the years of using it together with his mini applicator too.

It's a WWS pro grass micro that I bought as the main part of a job lot from the Bay of E. It was brand new, it now looks like it needs a decoke.

I have found that it and their range of fibres are very good. 

Some of the fibres you can buy are reminiscent of following Alice into Wonderland. :lol_mini:

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Judging by the excitement generated by me mentioning stockings, I'm guessing that you lot are all married and have been for quite some time?

A friend of mine had scrawled on his garage door: "No sex please, we're married!"

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've found the box containing the bits of the cattle dock. I'm still not sure about those signs @Graham T. They look a bit generic, but there may be someone on here who can give a definitive answer as to what, if any signage appeared around GWR cattle docks.

IMG_20211012_002054.jpg.feb75b7ef103fff7e9c1fd19b3a7f678.jpg

I haven't seen any reference photos with signs near the dock.  And anyway, what's the idea of the "No livestock beyond this point" sign?  I didn't think that cows could read...

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

5 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Back to model railways. I like this view. It needs some trees and scrub adding yet.

IMG_20211012_114118.jpg.9a68d6ef8b6bfa4f39031592d7b4414e.jpg

Not being hyper-critical, but.....  (and feel free to ignore the rest of this post)...

The high water mark on the abutment and central support indicate a constant water level (in order to create the conditions for algae/ moss to develop in the stonework).  This is at odds with the general level of the gently flowing stream.

Similarly, the number of very well-rounded stones/boulders also indicate a high flow of water (in order to erode all the rough edges). Again this (to me) contradicts the nature of the scene.

Oh, and the bridge needs more rust.

HTH.

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

I was with you up to the rust. That depends on the age of the bridge at the period modelled and an understanding of the frequency with which such structures were maintained / repainted up to that date. The condition of a modern survival is no guide.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

38 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Similarly, the number of very well-rounded stones/boulders also indicate a high flow of water (in order to erode all the rough edges). Again this (to me) contradicts the nature of the scene.

Not 100% sure on this as I can think of a few places in the Dales where the stream bed has a high proportion of rounded stones and boulders yet minimal water flow.

Having said that, there is a lot of coarse material in that stream that would scale out to boulder-sized in reality; I seem to remember Rob posting some photos of the sort of river he was modelling earlier in the thread - maybe they could be shared again?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Tortuga said:

Not 100% sure on this as I can think of a few places in the Dales where the stream bed has a high proportion of rounded stones and boulders yet minimal water flow.

Having said that, there is a lot of coarse material in that stream that would scale out to boulder-sized in reality; I seem to remember Rob posting some photos of the sort of river he was modelling earlier in the thread - maybe they could be shared again?

Lots of rivers in Scotland like it too, even major ones like the Tay and Dee, especially in their middle reaches.

Roja

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

Not being hyper-critical, but.....  (and feel free to ignore the rest of this post)...

The high water mark on the abutment and central support indicate a constant water level (in order to create the conditions for algae/ moss to develop in the stonework).  This is at odds with the general level of the gently flowing stream.

HTH.

Its been a hot dry summer, :notme:.

• Like 2

Thinking about it (perhaps more than I should) with my geologist hat on; in terms of river environments, the shape of the transported particles tends to indicate length of time in transport while size tends to indicate the level of energy (ie the rate of flow).

I think we’re looking at this the wrong way; if I remember right, Rob was aiming to capture the look of a crumbling riverbank, so I suspect the river is cutting through an existing deposit of boulder clay (or similar), washing away the finer material (clay, silt and sand) and leaving the coarser material (gravel, cobbles and boulders) behind in situ. It wouldn’t have to have too high flow to do that.

Edited by Tortuga
First attempt at my explanation was total nonsense
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 5

You will have to forgive the lack of geomorphological terminology, my A level geography was a long time ago and I had other, more pressing matters taking up my mind at the time!;)

But essentially, you take one flattish glacial valley formed largely through limestone and granite variants. Boulders and pebbles are formed in the base of the glacial tongue by corrasion and attrition. These are deposited, often miles from source as the glacier melts. The meltwater brings with it sediments which settle and form layers of clay and silt over the residual boulders. 

Over time, the runoff from the surrounding hills forms streams that feed a river in the base of the valley, cutting their way through the sedimentary deposits and disturbing the residual boulder layer with further corrasion and movement, particularly during flash flooding.

The river Clun isn't a big one and during the dry periods of the year isn't particularly deep. It does turn into something of a torrent whenever it rains though, carrying away sections of the unstable banks, which have quite a marked division between the clay and silt in most places, which looks a lot like a ride mark. 

I have made it a little wider at the front of the board to force perspective and make it a little easier to disguise the joint with the backscene using overhanging trees etc.

The bridge, does have a fair bit of grot, whited out a little by the camera flash, but I had designed it as a replacement for a timber bridge of the type used by the Cambrian Railways or the PS&NWR, put up by the Great Western in 1901 when they took control of the nominally independent Clun Valley Railway. If we assume a repainting schedule of seven year intervals and allowing for no work carried out during the Great War, the bridge would have last been repainted in 1936, two or three years prior to the time the model is set. As for green stuff, it gets everywhere. 

I am intending to better weather the concrete flaunching around the brick piers built on top of the original stonework and add a black/green wash to the horizontal parts of the ironwork.

River_Clun_-_geograph_org.uk_-_398204.jpg.9a1eda92418dd978e2f44d6a2eb72b80.jpg

Shot of the actual river showing the change in colour of the banks and stone deposits.

IMG_20210425_164257.jpg.46dc2937deb8f856af7f866e71ba07a6.jpg

Typical river near to source in former glacial valley.

You don't see much modelled water on layouts, unless it's man made watercourses, canals and harbours. Can anyone provide any further examples?

Edited by MrWolf
Internet c#ckwomblery
  • Like 7
  • Agree 1