Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

26 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

As far as I'm concerned, it inspires the thought: why didn't we put the point rodding in before ballasting, on the club layout?

That sounds like a lot of work in store for someone. Could I recommend the careful use of a 3mm wood chisel?

You can at least then dig out for the stools.

1100468280_LYD15andD3.JPG.13683023092ebadc029438c7d44341cf.JPG

Geen kit. Dodgy POWSides dry transfers - I should revisit. 

Wow, they're impressive, dodgy transfers or not. I never knew that L&Y vans were any colour other than slate grey. The wind deflectors are interesting. Do they, and the canvas cover go right across the roof? Or only as far as the centre of the roof?  

You will observe that the pistol mis-fired.

Indeed, although it was never aimed in your direction.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Given that I have moved to the area, and indeed overlook one of the major routes (the “Copy Pit” line is literally across the road the from me), I find those wagons very distracting, almost to the point of changing allegiance!

It is a problem, being in LNWR / Furness / MR territory myself, but thanks to the LNW/GWJ, I can justify quite a bit for this layout. I might have stretched it a bit with the dates to include a couple of M&SWJR castoffs that were actually scrapped around 1930, but I'm already in Rule#1 territory building a version of a line that was proposed but never built anyway.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You can at least then dig out for the stools.

I do enough of that with the cat's litter tray.

35 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I never knew that L&Y vans were any colour other than slate grey.

The grey with large LY letters came in in 1903. Before that, the L&Y's thrifty goods wagon "livery" was, as @MR Chuffer says, unpainted wood with black ironwork - probably components were japanned or some such prior to assembly. In general, the wood was unvarnished as well as unpainted but covered goods wagons, being for a higher class of cargo, were varnished, at least in some cases. I've tried to catch the difference in these two wagons.

40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The wind deflectors are interesting.

I hadn't really thought of them in quite that way but they do serve that function, overlapping the edge of the canvas cover - I'd thought of them as guides, but they would stop wind and rain getting under the cover. The cover had wooden battens sewn into it, to prevent it sagging, so it should follow the roof-line. Good top views here:

L&Y Goods Yard - Small.jpg

[embedded link]

11 minutes ago, MR Chuffer said:

Centre of the roof, irrespective of the wagon wheelbase, 9', 10'6" and 12'

In the 20th century, the L&Y worked out how to have roof doors on both sides of the van. The end pillars were arranged as an inverted V, supporting a longitudinal roof centre beam. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Internet went all FUBAR at an inconvenient moment there.

(Coincidentally, just as the telephone poles were getting demolished on Where  Eagles Dare, ITV4...) 

Spooky.

I was going to say that given all of that information, it would be wrong not to make use of it and make a "proper"job of this Frankenstein's monster.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

As far as I'm concerned, it inspires the thought: why didn't we put the point rodding in before ballasting, on the club layout?

1100468280_LYD15andD3.JPG.13683023092ebadc029438c7d44341cf.JPG

Geen kit. Dodgy POWSides dry transfers - I should revisit. 

You will observe that the pistol mis-fired.

Can I ask what wheels you’re using on these? One thing bugging me about a number of the kits I’ve recently built are how bulky wheels tend to be. 
Thanks

Jay

Edited by JustinDean

I'd noticed that some of my kits came with Gibson wheels, older ones with MAYGIB, those supplied with the latest Ratio kits seem quite fine compared to RTR. As an economic compromise, due to there still being 106 assorted kits in the box of doom as of last night, I have been using Bachmann wheels where none are supplied. They work, aren't too wide and it's not as though I have finescale track. They're not the cheapest, you can get twice as many Dapol wheels for half the price, but having bought a few at an exhibition, I don't rate them at all. Too wide and not always concentric, both of those issues are the reason I wouldn't use secondhand Lima or Tri-ang wheels either!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'd noticed that some of my kits came with Gibson wheels, older ones with MAYGIB, those supplied with the latest Ratio kits seem quite fine compared to RTR. As an economic compromise, due to there still being 106 assorted kits in the box of doom as of last night, I have been using Bachmann wheels where none are supplied. They work, aren't too wide and it's not as though I have finescale track. They're not the cheapest, you can get twice as many Dapol wheels for half the price, but having bought a few at an exhibition, I don't rate them at all. Too wide and not always concentric, both of those issues are the reason I wouldn't use secondhand Lima or Tri-ang wheels either!

The Dapol wheels are bloody awful. I bought a bag by mistake. 
Those AG wheels look like they have much finer rims and spokes than the varieties I’ve been using, and one thing that has been bugging me about the wagons I’m building is everything below the under frame seems a bit bulky. The 51L wheels from Wizard have been the best I’ve found so far - the ones in Compound’s photo look even better. 

Jay

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Been busy elsewhere  regards those who get a bit sniffy that you are not using P4 or S7, I suggest asking if the have used a scale size motor to drive their locos. Afterall  what price 2.33mm when you have stuffed an electric motor and worm wheel in there. 

If you wanted to see something close to scale Clary Edwards built live steam locos for 0 gauge. If the prototype had three working cylinders so did Clary's model. His West Country included the chain drive. He actually worked to a shade under 7mm so that the 32mm gauge scaled out correctly. Not be he was pedantic but be cause it made fitting the works between the frames easier. I never heard Clary criticise anyone elses choices.

Don

• Like 1