Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I'm given to understand that the Gibson wheels can be bought in pairs of axles complete with four bearings.

Does anyone know of the best place to buy them?

Eileen's Emporium supply Alan Gibson wheels and bearings although for just two axles it's a relatively expensive way of buying bearings - 7.5 p ber bearing - but if you buy the 20 axle pack the bearings are effectively free.

• Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Nick Gough said:

I think you'll find that that type of helicopter wasn't in service in 1943.

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think it was a Bell helicopter from the early fifties that they used for the film. I doubt that there's any wartime German helicopters left and they certainly didn't look like that!

10 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Flettner fl282, 1943, first modern type of helicopter.

flettner_kolibri_3.jpg.7c11b97f2a71e5aa4ce7d21b6fb5b9a5.jpg

Please explain the helicopter, or were you talking to yourself?

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, Worsdell forever said:

Please explain the helicopter, or were you talking to yourself?

That was a sharper than usual thread tangent between myself and @Nick Gough, I was attempting to thank those who had supplied vital information on the L&Y box van and say how I would be improving the model as a result.

Then the internet crashed at the very moment on our TV where Richard Burton was demolishing the telephone poles to aid his team's escape in the film Where Eagles Dare.

It was one of those daft coincidences. 

Earlier in the film, a senior German officer is delivered to the castle headquarters in a helicopter.

As a nudge at our earlier posts around being overly pedantic ( but in an unhealthy way, rather than helping our fellow modellers.) Nick made the joke that the type of helicopter used wouldn't have been available in 1943, it is in fact an American made machine from a decade later and one of the few historical compromises made in that film.

There were a few helicopters used by the Germans during WWII, mostly under test with the Kriegsmarine (Navy) and the Flettner built machine I posted a photo of is the first machine that was a true helicopter using the flight control methods and general layout still in use today.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect!
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
18 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

An hour's tinkering after lunch and I feel like it's a little more convincing.

Thanks are due to all those who have supplied information and pictures. Now it's a case of painting and working out lettering and numbers.

IMG_20211114_144434.jpg.b9d332eed83b165b8fcad1d41e2c0ba9.jpg

The handrails are brass wire, the roof is plastic rod and tissue paper recovered from a shoe box. 

Looking great Rob!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Light Blue, and the word 'Fish' somewhere?

This was actually one of the grey wagons masquerading under a Western Region W***** number.

I suppose that I should have acknowledged it's heritage and made the roof covering out of insulating tape? 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That was a sharper than usual thread tangent between myself and @Nick Gough, I was attempting to thank those who had supplied vital information on the L&Y box van and say how I would be improving the model as a result.

Then the internet crashed at the very moment on our TV where Richard Burton was demolishing the telephone poles to aid his team's escape in the film Where Eagles Dare.

Earlier in the film, a senior German officer is delivered to the castle headquarters in a helicopter.

As a nudge at our earlier posts around being overly pedantic ( but in an unhealthy way, rather than helping our fellow modellers.) Nick made the joke that the type of helicopter used wouldn't have been available in 1943, it is in fact an American made machine from a decade later and one of the few historical compromises made in that film.

There were a few helicopters used by the Germans during WWII, mostly under test with the Kriegsmarine (Navy) and the Flettner built machine I posted a photo of is the first machine that was a true helicopter using the flight control methods and general layout still in use today.

When my dad an uncle were young lads they went to the pictures in Whitby probably one Saturday afternoon, they saw a war film, this would be very late 50s, early 60s, my uncle apparently announced to everyone in the cinema that 'that model David Brown moving the 'planes about was not built until after the war'... I think my dad wanted to crawl under the seat.

• Like 2
  • Funny 3

5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

An hour's tinkering after lunch and I feel like it's a little more convincing.

Thanks are due to all those who have supplied information and pictures. Now it's a case of painting and working out lettering and numbers.

IMG_20211114_144434.jpg.b9d332eed83b165b8fcad1d41e2c0ba9.jpg

The handrails are brass wire, the roof is plastic rod and tissue paper recovered from a shoe box. 

I shall have to have a go at doing that with the Triang ones I have somewhere.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

The wheels I use for new builds, or to replace existing wheels  which have given problems, are Hornby.

Alex

Hi

I build my own points from copperclad strip & code 75 rail.

I have a lot of Hornby CDA's.

I have found that when building points the best wagon to use to test them is a CDA.

The reason I do this is because the flange seems to me to be quite sharp/pointed compared to others & if there's a slight gap between the point blade & stock rail or the blade hasn't been quite filed enough or set right  it will find the defect & derail.

Also I've found them to be a slightly different gauge to Bachmann/Romford wheels.

For proprietary track it's not a problem so for your layout no problem......

I post the above comment as an observation aimed at those who plan to make their own pointwork & are like me not the most 'accurate' modeller when constructing things....

Really enjoying your thread.....A wonderful mix of excellent modelling great ideas & light hearted banter....

Cheers Bill

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It can be difficult to keep up with the sudden changes of direction at times!

• Agree 1

On 14/11/2021 at 20:43, Nick Gough said:

It can be difficult to keep up with the sudden changes of direction at times!

Admittedly, a rabbit hole appears now and then a couple of miles west of Craven Arms...

722567.jpg.23d2373e86f666559e389501a3052374.jpg

Minitokyo

Go ask Alice, I think she'll know... ;)

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Rob. 

Those views of the layout are lovely. 

I couldn't resist a tweak with this one....

IMG_20211115_005604.jpg.1a24628642296e90d4fecc9c3fe0550c-02.jpeg.bc85760cff25a9bdc82653c7c74c205c.jpeg

Rob. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Looking great Rob :good:.

Lots of open space for the railway to run through. The Goods yard looks really roomy. Would have been easy to slip at least one more track in, but looks just prototypical as it is.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1