Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

At least under all that grass, I could hide pretty much any kind of track.

I can confirm that the kind of scenario is most tempting......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

A foot shorter would be a lot easier to store. The platform would only be big enough for a couple of four wheelers or one bogie coach.

Proper micro dimensions?

Somebody has set out rules for other people's railways?

Oh yeah, I’m came across this on Facebook- there’s a micro layouts group. They have rules on size to be counted as a micro!!!  

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

11 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

Oh yeah, I’m came across this on Facebook- there’s a micro layouts group. They have rules on size to be counted as a micro!!!  

The Micro Model Railroad Cartel.

We use the definition for micro layouts as suggested by the late Carl Arendt. Posts related to layouts larger than 4 square feet are subject to moderation and/or deletion by the Admins.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

I've always found the Blodwell / Nantmawr area interesting, so many different companies have had a go at the area over the last couple of centuries. I've spent quite a bit of time around there in the past looking for what remains. 

I've also been to Kinnerley quite a few times and thought what a great basis for a model that would be, even as something other than the S&MR. That is, if you can resist the temptation to build the junction and locomotive department sheds.

I have heard of Carl Arendt and his work. The idea of building a series of layouts to X size is an interesting one, I also like the idea of modular sections that can be stand alone models or connected together. 

I can understand completely the Micro Model Railroad Cartel wanting to keep rigidly to the original size concept, otherwise they would cease to be. 

I tend to create myself enough problems with my own set of self imposed rules for railway modelling, let alone working to design by committee, however tenuous. I've never been a club sort of person, other than those for the owners of various vehicles. I see those as a support and learning facility, very much in the same light that I see this site.

Once I have Aston built, I'm certain that after a lengthy session of playing trains, (Probably not that lengthy!) I will doubtless build something modular and shelf like.

Edited by MrWolf
Internet death
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

33 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

All that lovely point rodding, look you...

Al.

Indeed. 

Nowhere's perfect!

Although I no longer find point rodding intimidating.

Out of two point rodding kits and one 2 metre point rodding extension kit, I have three 72mm sections of rodding left over.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I've been busy sketching for a painting project, but got distracted for a few minutes by the idea of small layouts.

So I managed to spend a few minutes getting it out of my system.

IMG_20211120_162247.jpg.fa7c448f35ae9a7f29f0fda1969f7328.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've been busy sketching for a painting project, but got distracted for a few minutes by the idea of small layouts.

So I managed to spend a few minutes getting it out of my system.

IMG_20211120_162247.jpg.50774c2cd60fd560325d703e518923b5.jpg

Would a very light line such as a tub line have such substantial earthworks, or just have a trestle bridge over the other lines ?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Why not have a high (120mm at most) embankment?

It depends on the levels being worked to and from, especially if you started off using horses.

There's a bank and bridge similar to the one on the right on the Criggion branch, which some writers have stated was also used for tipping into standard gauge wagons.

There were some hefty earthworks on the Cliffe Hill railway to avoid steep gradients, as there was on the Stratford tramway where it crossed the SMJR. I suppose that the Causey arch might be a bit extreme. 

I'd post a few pics but it's taken an hour to post the picture above of the other end of the layout idea.

Edited by MrWolf
Site keyboard keeps dropping off
  • Like 2

On 11/11/2021 at 20:58, MrWolf said:

Midland Railway 12 ton van to D664. This is one of the more recent Cambrian kits with wheels, bearings and the floor / solebars / W irons moulded in one piece.

IMG_20211111_190503.jpg.83c1f3191c39f8cd49263001b770bc09.jpg

Is the Matilda II there in readiness to defend the bus-bearing bridge from Stuka attack?

Oh, BTW I Just found this lovely thread courtesy of Compound2632 who I have to thank for linking me to the Insulfish/L&Y wagon build. It seems via that I have stumbled into a thread very much after my own heart so is it okay if I pull up a digestive and join you all?

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 9

Hello Martin, 

The Matilda is there mainly to prevent it getting crushed on the bookshelf, which is where it used to live. There's a WWI MKIV loitering somewhere too. 

I've found that the best defence against finding shiny EFE buses parked in the middle of bridges is not to have bridges. Hence the Luftwaffe ground crew have become the axis answer to Oddball and the rest of Kelly's heroes.

The Stuka is kept around for the occasional foray onto other threads as and when the conversation gets too bus orientated.

Amongst the regular thread drifts I am, with the advice and support provided by the contributions of others on here, attempting to build a line based on (but not a model of) a once proposed but never built railway.

Welcome aboard, please feel free to travel in the first class carriage, there's less holes in the floor...

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Not really had much time to do anything earth shattering on the layout, though I have managed to have a dig through some incomplete ex LNWR wagon kits and provide enough parts to make another five LMS absorbed open wagons.

IMG_20211123_214908.jpg.4c6d18043dd482d6892cc7b8c3b72468.jpg

Hence the odd coloured panels on one wagon, the chassis are an even more miked bag but all will have the correct chassis details.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 13
  • Agree 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Miss RRH is to be congratulated on a fine-looking job. You'll be getting requests for quotes from others who need their layouts ballasted. (I was going to say how much to hire her out but that seems so wrong.)

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 13

A lot of the levelling involved a quick brush along the inside of the rails and tapping them with the back of the teaspoon being used to load the ballast applicator.

I have been informed that I will be ballasting the points...:fie:

I also asked about a ballast subcontracting service, but if I shared the answer on here I suspect that the moderators would have an embolism. ;)

• Like 1
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold

Morning Rob, 

The Memsahib is to be congratulated on what is an excellent job made out of, what I find to be, quite the most arduous of tasks. 

Now we can really see the layout coming to life..

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Sausage hooves
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6
  • Thanks 1