Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

That is some nicely ballasted track. Are you going put a line of finer ballast down the sides, between the ballast and the grass to represent the finer material?
Not to detract from Miss Hood’s work, just the change from ballast to grass looks a touch too abrupt to my eye.

Edited by Tortuga
Clarification
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Matilda II sneaking up, Tom and Jerry style, on an unsuspecting Junkers 87 which is minding its own business in the station yard. No doubt the crew are checking the bus timetables.

Which raises a question - as buses traditionally come in threes, whereas bridges tend to be solitary animals, which bus does one aim for? Unless, of course, the bridge in question is a viaduct, so they all fit on...

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

7 hours ago, Fishplate said:

Ballasting looks great Miss RRH 

How did that go????

She's most flattered.

Cooking is one of those basic life skills that all men should learn, preferably before they leave school. 

It also earns points with the female of the species - here's someone who doesn't need a replacement mother.

There's too many blokes live on takeaways and pot noodles - or "Chaviar" as Miss R calls them.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Funny 4

4 hours ago, Tortuga said:

That is some nicely ballasted track. Are you going put a line of finer ballast down the sides, between the ballast and the grass to represent the finer material?
Not to detract from Miss Hood’s work, just the change from ballast to grass looks a touch too abrupt to my eye.

Neat Ballasting was her department. It's down to me to make with the arty stuff. The edges of the formation will be feathered off with a fine dust / ash / general muck mix and I can then finish off the grass / weeds along the edge of the track. The same thing will be done where the mileage siding abuts the livestock pen areas.

When the ballast glue has finally dried, I'll make a start. I've used the finest and lightest colour ballast I could find so that (in theory) when the glue darkens it, it will look more like the locally quarried stone.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Nick C said:

Which raises a question - as buses traditionally come in threes, whereas bridges tend to be solitary animals, which bus does one aim for? Unless, of course, the bridge in question is a viaduct, so they all fit on...

An excuse for more bombers. That is a win in my book.

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Martin S-C said:

Providing the Ju87 crew have enough fuel for the long wait then all three buses will come together. Its very efficient on bombs but wasteful of aviation gas.

There's been very little military movement around here lately. I suspect that they've all called a truce and gone off down to The Kangaroo Inn.

• Like 2

Just in case I have moved the reinforcements, with the added bonus of a Grant, ready for quick loading if I get a shout…..

Armed forces here at Little Muddle ready to assist

D9CD9161-5D26-4A8D-B06D-7CAFC02193B0.jpeg.fb790cbc4d87d52b71ace48cbb642e4e.jpeg

Even the Squadron Leader has got his Camel out of retirement!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

1 hour ago, KNP said:

Just in case I have moved the reinforcements, with the added bonus of a Grant, ready for quick loading if I get a shout…..

Armed forces here at Little Muddle ready to assist

D9CD9161-5D26-4A8D-B06D-7CAFC02193B0.jpeg.fb790cbc4d87d52b71ace48cbb642e4e.jpeg

Even the Squadron Leader has got his Camel out of retirement!

I really must get the Matilda finished and weathered!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've been trying to avoid that! :D

Yeah, it's probably too much of a cliche!

The current plan is for my new cameo project (for which I must start a thread...) to be set in 1946 - I think post-war gives more flexibility if I want to run occasionally with my usual 50's stock, wheras during the war doesn't.

• Like 1

I wouldn't say that it was a cliché as such. It's more that if you want to build a wartime layout, you have to do as much research on the military aspects as you do with the trains.

Very often, people don't and it shows. The wartime layouts that are good are really good, for that reason.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

so you are adding ROAD CLOSED AHEAD signs then.

The bit next to the ballast was the cess typically ash and cinders I believe and was intended to act as drainage. However it was also a convenient safe path for workers. These days drainage purpoe seems to have been forgotten rather than being lower than the sleepers it can be found to be at the same or higher level.  Often old bits of rail and other stuff has been dumped there. I dont know if they still have linemen who would regularly walk the length they were reposbile for and for their own convenience if nothing else keep brambles etc. at bay

Don

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

The best deterrent to a bus invasion of my layout is the fact that the B4368 ends in a scale 300 foot drop off the edge of the baseboard by the boundary wall of Aston Hall....

Ah, the road exits the layout at 47¼’” (give it take a few thou) above the nearest gravity-resistant surface, then?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Donw said:

so you are adding ROAD CLOSED AHEAD signs then.

The bit next to the ballast was the cess typically ash and cinders I believe and was intended to act as drainage. However it was also a convenient safe path for workers. These days drainage purpoe seems to have been forgotten rather than being lower than the sleepers it can be found to be at the same or higher level.  Often old bits of rail and other stuff has been dumped there. I dont know if they still have linemen who would regularly walk the length they were reposbile for and for their own convenience if nothing else keep brambles etc. at bay

Don

It's something that I have taken note of when walking disused lines where all of the ballast has been recovered. 

Beneath it is always a good layer of ash and small stones that is seldom waterlogged.

In related news, my resident ballast tamper wants to have another go tonight. 

Who am I to say no? :D

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

In related news, my resident ballast tamper wants to have another go tonight. 

Who am I to say no? :D

Methinks some flowers, choccies or a nice meal meal out might be called for very soon.

• Agree 5