Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I've run out of excuses for not fitting the railings to the cattle dock. Extra holes have to be drilled where railings meet at ninety degrees. 

Still, I've modified so much of it now, it doesn't matter. 

Ratio don't actually make the dock in brick for starters!

IMG_20211127_204003.jpg.e4332e4d2732f24fc58f7151d5f20b4d.jpg

If in return for ballasting anyone in your household needs needles threading I bet you'll be a dab hand at that now. Looking at that makes me want to have a timber fence around my cattle dock, or maybe even a brick wall!

• Friendly/supportive 1

When I originally planned the layout I was thinking about a cattle dock on the end of the platform a la Llandrinio Road, which was a simple timber affair. But having studied Shipston on Stour (and modified the track plan.) I thought that it has to be the Ratio cattle dock with the ramp at the opposite end and a brick base just because.

The rails aren't actually that hard to do, you just need to do things in the right order so that you don't paint yourself into a corner so to speak!

• Like 7

I have er, um, acquired another Pannier. 

Bachmann blue riband 8750. DCC ready, whatever that is? It needs a bit of fettling but runs well.

Most importantly, it was very cheap! 

IMG_20211128_154716.jpg.ecd9415b25cc542e7f4734d1bf4e0dcf.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 3

8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Bachmann blue riband 8750. DCC ready, whatever that is? It needs a bit of fettling but runs well.

IMG_20211128_154716.jpg.6d2ffa3a10f8cc3c73372de837a23db0.jpg

Lovely

Not sure about the funnel though, first thing to fettle I believe….?

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

IMG_20211128_154716.jpg.6d2ffa3a10f8cc3c73372de837a23db0.jpg

After that Blodwell Junction post a page or two back, buying a flat pack baseboard and big plastic box, I also may have acquired a Pannier. 

Jay

• Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

After that Blodwell Junction post a page or two back, buying a flat pack baseboard and big plastic box, I also may have acquired a Pannier. 

Jay

Excellent news!

You realise that there is a Beetlejuice theory about Blodwell Junction?

Obviously you said Blodwell Junction more than three times...

And it appeared.

I believe that the phrases "Ditton Priors" and "Lydham Heath" carry similar risks.

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Excellent news!

You realise that there is a Beetlejuice theory about Blodwell Junction?

Obviously you said Blodwell Junction more than three times...

And it appeared.

I believe that the phrases "Ditton Priors" and "Lydham Heath" carry similar risks.

It’s just one of those things where the planets aligned. I want a mini project I can move between mine and the missus house, have loads of leftovers from Middleton Top (that is still ongoing though), the Blodwell photo, a cheap Tanat Valley Raikway book came up on evilBay, then Model Rail we’re doing a discount on their fancy Panniers. So it kinda has to happen. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Cattle dock looking nice. I would tuck away thoughts of other layouts for later. There is plenty of mileage left in this one and its original and looking good so I think you should finish it. 

BTW Geoffs Llangunllo was most inspiring he has moved to 7mm and Bleddfa road looks very special.

Don

Edited by Donw
f missing
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Don, and your thoughts are much appreciated. I won't be making a start on anything else until this layout is built, nor will I be hurrying things along to finish this one. It has elements of every idea and back of an envelope sketch I've come up with in the last 20+ years so I am determined to do it justice and see it through. 

Even when I can run trains through completed landscape and buildings there will be heaps left to do.

I think that the trees and scrub alone will take up a few months modelling time, even though they are limited to the river banks and roadside in reality.

In fact, your comments have inspired me to write a 'to do' list which will help keep things focused.

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The first stage of ballasting is almost complete. This is the points into the goods yard.

IMG_20211129_224213.jpg.7cfc6595bdf67366f38b4bae5273e88b.jpg

Really coming along very nicely Rob, looks great.  

Sorry I do not have any trade for the Stuka.   The buses are packed away, waiting for the new layout .  I may have a job waking them up if they  think they are going to be bombed again

• Funny 2

Nice work on the pannier @Barclay, I have to investigate whether to remove the top feed from mine. I like the lifting rings on the tanks.

I try to keep this thread bus free (mention of pre 1965 examples is permitted, but anything else will be summarily dive bombed.) But every now and then, we've found a slightly greasy anorak that smells like salt and vinegar crisps hanging on the station fence.

The usual proceedure  is to carefully remove said garment with a long stick and burn it, before changing the subject and / or posting a picture of the resident Stuka.

Sadly, buses are inevitable, even I have one. In my defense, I was given it by a friend who passed away earlier this year. It's also a late 30s prototype.

Were you under duress when you bought a bus or was it a momentary lapse? :D

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That would be down to the cunning omission of any road overbridges on which to place said buses.

You're a true strategist...

I appear to have been rumbled......

• Funny 2