Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I can confirm that The Sheep Chronicles are a bus free area. 

I thank you. 

Ladmanlow is also bus free, for much the same reasons. However I did have a lapse on my first layout, Bakewell:

road-bridge011.jpg.90cab9c3c756b80d567aa325aeced963.jpg

Al.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

Are horse drawn buses allowed? I have nefarious plans for a Lledo one.

Pre 1965 buses are permissible (see earlier post.) 

Getting excitable over modern buses with garish liveries which don't smell of old engine oil and stale cigarette smoke is not. It's on a par with Stobart spotting.

I had this conversation with the memsahib when she confessed to misspending her youth at Harry Potter conventions. 

There's a hierarchy, even amongst we nerdz. :D

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Ladmanlow is also bus free, for much the same reasons. However I did have a lapse on my first layout, Bakewell:

road-bridge011.jpg.90cab9c3c756b80d567aa325aeced963.jpg

Al.

There we have a conundrum. The bus is of an era and style which is not classed as "Visually Offensive", (The PC thought police have banned the word "ugly" as it's considered naming and shaming.)

But then you stuck it on a bridge...

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

6c953881d94b416f8f11661b3d42640c.jpg.448503adf3fe2df8ada128e808a0a432.jpg

I can't believe I just gave an applause response to the Luftwaffe. That's what almost 24 months of stressful isolation gets you  *shrugs*

Now you see that cream bus has a roof and to me that's a step over the forbidden line. If they are horse drawn or fit into the unroofed "charabanc" category then they are fine and dandy but once they get roofs they all begin to look much alike, a bit like Churchward locomotives and therefore need to be terminated with extreme prejudice.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 3

You could tell that the end was nigh when steam locomotives all looked similar, although I do like some of the BR Standard classes. 

It seems that the motor car is going the same way. I've always been mad on cars, but my interest in them stops abruptly about 1980.

As for the Luftwaffe, human cost aside, town planners and developers have done far more damage than they did.

• Agree 5

7 minutes ago, treggyman said:

Hi

Penhallick Junction was also bus free...,.

1339440632_HorseCart.jpg.6f55b5814531dc246fb0d95dbadb4d66.jpg

But you've got to have something on a bridge.....

SWMBO's hobby is Driving a horse & cart so I 'adapted 'some figures scratchbuilt the cart & customised the horse....

Cheers Bill

Hello Bill,

That's more than acceptable, I like the look of that model, nice bit of scratch building in and brownie points from she who supports / tolerates your hobby.

I do like to see working horses, I'd much rather watch the Badminton horse trials than racing from Haycock. Same applies with a lot of things, when I had dogs they were all working breeds.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

You could tell that the end was nigh when steam locomotives all looked similar, although I do like some of the BR Standard classes. 

It seems that the motor car is going the same way. I've always been mad on cars, but my interest in them stops abruptly about 1980.

As for the Luftwaffe, human cost aside, town planners and developers have done far more damage than they did.

My rule of thumb is that a steam engine must never have more than two driven axles. So 4-4-0 is good, as is 0-4-4 and 0-4-2 and 4-2-2 and so on and you can just about scrape by with 4-4-2 but its when you couple 6 driving wheels together and then add a pony truck in front (even just a single axle) that the whole house of cards comes tumbling down. I might just make an exception for the Aberdare 2-6-0 on the basis of its plain ugliness (and luscious outside frames) which redeems it... but other than that...

[/please note this post was made after G&Ts were consumed and any statements made herein may not seem true to the author on any subsequent date on which G&Ts were not consumed.]

Edited by Martin S-C
  • Like 1
  • Funny 5

7 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Hello Bill,

That's more than acceptable, I like the look of that model, nice bit of scratch building in and brownie points from she who supports / tolerates your hobby.

I do like to see working horses, I'd much rather watch the Badminton horse trials than racing from Haycock. Same applies with a lot of things, when I had dogs they were all working breeds.

Hi

I couldn't agree more.

SWMBO also likes horse riding but can't anymore....Driving is fine....

I could never see the point in just riding a horse & the only time I ever rode was rounding up sheep & cattle for a farmer friend on the wilds Bodmin Moor in all weathers.....

The only trouble was that I couldn't walk for days after as I didn't ride regularly....

Cheers Bill

• Friendly/supportive 3

@treggymanI can actually ride a horse, but I prefer motorcycles. A horse can suddenly decide that it wants to do something else. There were lots of horses around where I grew up, many owned by posh girls who liked scruffy 'Erberts with motorcycles. I knew there was some practical reason for learning to ride a horse. ...

Fortunately? The memsahib is allergic to horses and dogs, they make her almost sneeze herself inside out. Put a cat near her and she tends to burst into flames...

@Martin S-C, I can understand your interest in small Victorian era engines. I also go for six driving wheels but no more than two leading wheels. I rather like the 2-4;0 tender engines that the Cambrian and M&SWJ had which the GWR inherited. If I could build a model of one of the 4-4-0 saddle tanks I would be stretching the time period of my model as much as I could. Although a Dean 4-2-2 of antediluvian heritage gets a regular run out.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1

What was this thread about again? 

Oh yes, my ongoing attempts to build a model railway, sorry 'bout that.

Normal? service is resumed. The cattle dock is complete, painted and weathered and is seen here being checked out by Experimental Sheep Number 8, (Wayne to his friends.)

IMG_20211130_212415.jpg.41552f4672cccaae98f4381ccb4d8485.jpg

From the loading side:

IMG_20211130_212434.jpg.3db4264e33d14c8df71e6d2ddb7f5320.jpg

images lost.

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Round of applause 3

11 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Damn, that looks very good.  Think I need to revisit mine!

Don't look too close, despite my best efforts, some of the posts are a bit wonky and the black railings were not fun to paint. I should have painted them first and then made good by painting the posts!

25 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Don't look too close, despite my best efforts, some of the posts are a bit wonky and the black railings were not fun to paint. I should have painted them first and then made good by painting the posts!

I don't think they would have stayed black very long anyway with the Ovine and Bovine residents in them planning their equivalent of the Great Escape

• Agree 3

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Nice work on the pannier @Barclay, I have to investigate whether to remove the top feed from mine. I like the lifting rings on the tanks.

I try to keep this thread bus free (mention of pre 1965 examples is permitted, but anything else will be summarily dive bombed.) But every now and then, we've found a slightly greasy anorak that smells like salt and vinegar crisps hanging on the station fence.

The usual proceedure  is to carefully remove said garment with a long stick and burn it, before changing the subject and / or posting a picture of the resident Stuka.

Sadly, buses are inevitable, even I have one. In my defense, I was given it by a friend who passed away earlier this year. It's also a late 30s prototype.

Were you under duress when you bought a bus or was it a momentary lapse? :D

Just a momentary lapse - a Birkenhead Corporation 1946 Guy Arab with utility body - it will be located under a bridge for safety's sake...

• Funny 3