Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks, that's really useful, substitute the bark chippings for beaten earth or ash and anything plastic for wood / metal and it's sorted. I miss having a veg patch at home (parents had an allotment that I got volunteered to help with.) Where we live now it's not an option. Nothing much edible will grow on cobblestones!

As it’s a railway property, wouldn’t ash be more likely than bare earth?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tortuga said:

As it’s a railway property, wouldn’t ash be more likely than bare earth?

Quite possibly, but it does occur to me that a mixture of ash (definitely in the case of wood ash) and water creates an acid that might be detrimental to the soil. 

Not an awful lot done last night, we had a little pre Christmas cheer. But I did manage to cut and shut some old Busch fencing (and add the missing diagonal braces to the gates) I cut and shut two of the gates as well to make them a more typical width. Being HO scale, this fencing is a little lower than the usual platform fencing which I wanted to avoid using too much of.

227661427_ModelRail-GreatWesternRailNotice-ChrisLeigh.jpeg.a590d40024e08cad21115af41a34c5a8.jpeg

Model Rail

gwrlr947.jpg.be888316aca393f36a8d8f6c86922bca.jpg

GWRS

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 17

What I do find interesting about the black and white picture is that the crossing hinge posts appear to be painted black, along with the usual black hinges. These posts were iron, but I presume that the wooden shut post on the opposite side would be in white with the latch etc picked out in black?

• Like 1

You're right, there's four half gates in that picture, each of which is hung from an iron hinge post.

What I have to build (When I have made sense of the instructions) is whitemetal / brass single gate kit by MSE. This type has an iron hinge post and a timber shut post.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

There's been lots of radio chatter about test tracks on the threads that I follow.

So not wanting to be left out, here's a part of mine, it's about a hundred miles long.... :jester:

0300102c.jpg.88bf50e69eb23b4d48a01b88469a746d.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

There's been lots of radio chatter about test tracks on the threads that I follow.

So not wanting to be left out, here's a part of mine, it's about a hundred miles long.... :jester:

0300102c.jpg.c8e47caf6a19fac56797a79065f7797d.jpg

Where’s this Rob?

I do love a bleak rolling landscape. 

Jay

• Agree 2

On 04/12/2021 at 17:31, MrWolf said:

You're right, there's four half gates in that picture, each of which is hung from an iron hinge post.

What I have to build (When I have made sense of the instructions) is whitemetal / brass single gate kit by MSE. This type has an iron hinge post and a timber shut post.

What I find most interesting from a modelling POV is that when closed across the railway the two gates are longer than the gap, so they overlap. I've never seen anything like that before. I wonder if the old gates had been smashed by a train and these were temporary replacements until a correctly sized pair could be installed?

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

What I find most interesting from a modelling POV is that when closed across the railway the two gates are longer than the gap, so they overlap. I've never seen anything like that before. I wonder if the old gates had been smashed by a train and these were temporary replacements until a correctly sized pair could be installed?

I'd imagine it was more because the road was wider than the railway - so they needed something that was wide enough to cover the full width of the road, but only 2/3 of the width of the railway. The other option that I've seen done in such circumstances was to have one pair fold right back, but that wouldn't work in this case as it wouldn't cover the whole width of the railway - unless the gates were of unequal length.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/11/2021 at 23:20, MrWolf said:

Yes I recall someone posting about some almost translucent mouldings being almost impossible to cut off the sprue without breaking them. I've had to repair the bottom of one W iron and a v hanger on the brake lever that was already damaged.

That was me. :)

Expect more random late posts as I try and catch up with 20 pages of neglect. (My neglect at not having dropped in here often enough!)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 09/11/2021 at 21:22, MrWolf said:

Apparently, I need more LMS wagons for this layout.  :wacko:

IMG_20211109_212336.jpg.e5ed77c46429224ffa320ab52ab0ee74.jpg

Depending on your era, you could do with more opens, or even a lot more opens. Chuck in some from LNER too, their 6 planks was also quite common (but not as abundant as LMS D1666)

Edit: Further reading reveals both points are already noted. I'll keep schtum until I've read the whole thread. :D

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2

I bought these two (secondhand of course) quite some time ago. As they're never going to make any more, which is a shame, despite the faults, I thought I had better get them built for my layout. I'm glad I didn't buy them from eBay in the last few years! 

IMG_20211207_223348.jpg.d5ca2bb8354f191d47155fd884c8de41.jpg

I've got a third Open C, built years ago and weighted with bits of steel between the frames. On these two I have cut away a bit of the plastic framing to accommodate a self adhesive motorcycle wheel weight.

I have had to buy them for the job, because vintage motorcycles don't need lumps of metal sticking to the wheels.

The gears in the background are also ex motorcycle, I haven't started collecting HD or Lima...;)

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 8

I've also been having a rethink on the crossing keepers house. I've taken out the grounded van body having seen one in the garden of another crossing house model. It makes room for a vegetable garden to be modelled that won't be hidden. I've moved that box van twice already and not been entirely happy about it being there. Less is more I guess!

Edited by MrWolf
Lousy internet
  • Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 2

The planned modelling jobs over the weekend went out of the window due to an unexpected event. I've decided to focus on the Jobs in the workbench at present, those being the pile of wagons, the crossing house and the garage - remember that? It's been gathering dust for about a year. 

I'm waiting for the materials to arrive so that I can finish ballasting and other hard surfaces, so I think that it's a good point to draw a line and finish off some of the outstanding jobs.

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I bought these two (secondhand of course) quite some time ago. As they're never going to make any more, which is a shame, despite the faults, I thought I had better get them built for my layout. I'm glad I didn't buy them from eBay in the last few years! 

IMG_20211207_223348.jpg.d5ca2bb8354f191d47155fd884c8de41.jpg

I've got a third Open C, built years ago and weighted with bits of steel between the frames. On these two I have cut away a bit of the plastic framing to accommodate a self adhesive motorcycle wheel weight.

I have had to buy them for the job, because vintage motorcycles don't need lumps of metal sticking to the wheels.

The gears in the background are also ex motorcycle, I haven't started collecting HD or Lima...;)

Three?? You jammy git, been looking for just one for years. I'm currently having to make do with a Chivers LMS equivalent.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, 57xx said:

Three?? You jammy git, been looking for just one for years. I'm currently having to make do with a Chivers LMS equivalent.

I managed to get one for well under a tenner last week, just put up on the bay about 2 minutes before I got there as buy it now :)

Also managed to get a couple of built examples for about £7 or £8 each. A quick addition of bearings and decent wheels and job done!

They are still out there....

• Like 3