Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Sprog :)

I'll take that all day.

It makes a change from the more often heard grow up, act your age, get a proper job, different haircut, sensible car, even trade in the memsahib for someone over forty, I kid you not!

Basically make them feel better about their own lot by becoming a drudge and getting in the queue for a coffin.

I think I'll pass on that lot.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I'll take that all day.

It makes a change from the more often heard grow up, act your age, get a proper job, different haircut, sensible car, even trade in the memsahib for someone over forty, I kid you not!

Basically make them feel better about their own lot by becoming a drudge and getting in the queue for a coffin.

I think I'll pass on that lot.

There certainly seems to be great resentment of anyone who doesn't live the "expected" lifestyle. It's just jealousy, and a massive marketing machine to drum into us how we're expected to live. You're not affecting them, so why is it any of their business how you choose to live your life? 

Just be yourself...

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Why?

The doomsayers tell me that "I will have to conform one day" 

I have tried, honest, it didn't work when I was a kid, it didn't work as an adult. 

People know that you're faking. They know that you're a bit of an odd duck and because you don't fit into some protected minority category, it's open season on trying to pick holes in your life choices.

Being told by your head of department that you can't park your vintage car on site because it attracts too much attention and looks unprofessional is one of the reasons I quit teaching. 

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 14

11 minutes ago, Nick C said:

There certainly seems to be great resentment of anyone who doesn't live the "expected" lifestyle. It's just jealousy, and a massive marketing machine to drum into us how we're expected to live. You're not affecting them, so why is it any of their business how you choose to live your life? 

Just be yourself...

If everyone is the same, down to the food they eat and the clothes they wear, they're easier to control, easier to sell to.

Mao tried it, millions died.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Cascamite glue is wonderful stuff, it's even been used to hold aeroplanes together

Rob, if you'll excuse the shameless plug.

I have now started a new thread for the NEW LAYOUT called BOVEY QUAY. Where you can see it glues trawlers together too.

George

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

No problem, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

It's good to know that you're busy building something else that we can pinch scenic and artistic techniques from! :D

You're welcome to post up a link.

BTW, is a shameless plug something that you might obtain from one of those adult stores?

• Thanks 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Mulgabill said:

Bring Out Another Thousand!!!!!

Really?

You've already got examples from Hornby, Heljan and Dapol!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Cascamite glue is wonderful stuff

I remember (well, I think it was him) Not Jeremy of this parish mixing it with loose ballast and adding drops of water. I recall that it set pretty well and would have been difficult to shift.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Really?

You've already got examples from Hornby, Heljan and Dapol!

Sorry - I think my offhand remark missed the target, somewhat.

I was referring to the acronym, giving the word B O A T.

As for 1000s you're off the mark, Cap'n

all mine are Lima, or Lilliput !!!!!!

TONY

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Gedward said:

Rob, if you'll excuse the shameless plug.

I have now started a new thread for the NEW LAYOUT called BOVEY QUAY. Where you can see it glues trawlers together too.

Don't forget to plug it in your sig!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

I remember (well, I think it was him) Not Jeremy of this parish mixing it with loose ballast and adding drops of water. I recall that it set pretty well and would have been difficult to shift.

There's an echo here somewhere...

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

Sorry - I think my offhand remark missed the target, somewhat.

I was referring to the acronym, giving the word B O A T.

Ah yes, all is now much clearer!

15 hours ago, Mulgabill said:

As for 1000s you're off the mark, Cap'n

all mine are Lima, or Lilliput !!!!!!

Of course, I'd forgotten that they made them as well!

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
On 06/01/2022 at 11:07, MrWolf said:

All these recollections are making me realise that I'm likely to be the youngest one here.

I'm okay with that....:D

I wouldn’t be so sure!

I haven’t got the foggiest what folk are on about here half the time. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Why?

The doomsayers tell me that "I will have to conform one day" 

I have tried, honest, it didn't work when I was a kid, it didn't work as an adult. 

People know that you're faking. They know that you're a bit of an odd duck and because you don't fit into some protected minority category, it's open season on trying to pick holes in your life choices.

Being told by your head of department that you can't park your vintage car on site because it attracts too much attention and looks unprofessional is one of the reasons I quit teaching. 

I strongly suspect we have a similar mindset Rob. 

I had another thought about backscenes. Paslight  foam board - it’s cheap and a very flexible yet strong plastic sheet. I use it for shells on buildings before cladding and reckon it would make a really good material for either mounting or painting on backscenes. I’m considering giving it a go for Middleton Top where they’ll need to detach. 

Jay

Edited by JustinDean
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, JustinDean said:

I strongly suspect we have a similar mindset Rob. 

I had another thought about backscenes. Paslight  foam board - it’s cheap and a very flexible yet strong plastic sheet. I use it for shells on buildings before cladding and reckon it would make a really good material for either mounting or painting on backscenes. I’m considering giving it a go for Middleton Top where they’ll need to detach. 

Jay

I used that stuff years ago when making design mock ups for stage sets, I'd completely forgotten about it. That would make an excellent backing material for the printed backscene and the curved sections could be more or less self supporting.

I need to go and bother the eccentric lady at the art shop. Cheers!

• Like 2