Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Thanks, @Tortuga   I really want to get the railway yard sorted before doing the rest of the detail work.

It's also an exercise in signal construction avoidance behaviour...

The car is a Vauxhall Ten Four H type saloon, made 1937-48. The model is by Classix / Pocketbond. They turn up still on eBay. 

EM76893-LN02_3281210_Qty1_1.jpg.723895742e65509df05e152714d875c1.jpg

Image: Hattons model railways 

Edited by MrWolf
Picture no attach!
  • Like 9

53 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I do like surface of the platforms Rob very realistic. Just like the stuff I was trudging along this morning whilst out with the Devil Dog.

Excellent work in deed.

Ian

It's quite a ways back now, but it is the infamous chinchilla dust / sand / grit (whether there's actually grades of it we never found out.) lots of dilute PVA Humbrol 67Panzer grey and lots of drybrushing with lighter greys. 

I'm thinking of doing the station forecourt the same way.

Jury's still out on the goods yard.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2022 at 01:38, MrWolf said:

The signal box has been lightly weathered and a tube hidden inside to carry lighting wires. I think that there's a couple of other jobs to do, so if you see something that I missed, please speak up! :D

IMG_20220123_000634.jpg.c63d7253a779750a248f96364d1dd0e6.jpg

Just a bird's nest in the gutter and a cat sat in the open window underneath :superstition:

• Like 3
  • Funny 3

19 minutes ago, longchap said:

Just a bird's nest in the gutter and a cat sat in the open window underneath :superstition:

I'll have to run that by the memsahib, just in case even a model cat would cause her to sneeze herself inside out...

Further back there was much concern for the well-being of Experimental Sheep 1-36.

I can tell you now that they are all alive and well and seem to be amassing on the Welsh borders. They're being stirred up by the little fella at the front who goes by the name of Ewetin....

IMG_20220124_160522.jpg.57300176857368a022a7cee5ed00d06f.jpg

Image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 12
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Further back there was much concern for the well-being of Experimental Sheep 1-36.

I can tell you now that they are all alive and well and seem to be amassing on the Welsh borders. They're being stirred up by the little fella at the front who goes by the name of Ewetin....

Now Experimental sheep do sound rather Pythonesque. Mind you, it’s always the little demonic leaders that you have to be careful of. Amassing little bu**ers they are.

Now can I have a pee please Bob?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Suitable soundtrack for the above......

"It's a long way to Sheeperary......."

Edited by NHY 581
  • Funny 2

2 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I think I'm being stalked by a sheep. Every time I open your thread there's a bloomin' sheep on it.

Very nice young Rob. But where's Farmer Giles and his trusty collie, Meg. You can't have all those sheep and not have a collie. There'll get everywhere if there's no collie to keep them in check.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Winslow Boy said:

I think I'm being stalked by a sheep. Every time I open your thread there's a bloomin' sheep on it.

Very nice young Rob. But where's Farmer Giles and his trusty collie, Meg. You can't have all those sheep and not have a collie. There'll get everywhere if there's no collie to keep them in check.

To be honest I think that they started off as a border raiding party from The Sheep Chronicles who went MIA when the goods yard at Broome station closed down. 

Now they're just hanging around, cadging cigarettes off the locals and occasionally throwing rocks at street lights.

I think that the only long term solution is to get the line and my rake of cattle trucks finished and get them back to the Central Wales Line.

There is a dog, but he spends most of his time basking in the sunshine in the garage yard, which also needs finishing...

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, Graham T said:

A quicker solution might involve lashings of mint sauce and gravy...

sheep-967169-01.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Other solutions are, of course, available :)

For example, I know a great recipe for lamb cutlets with chorizo...

Funny-Sheep-Facts-01.jpeg.5fbf20f21f2f75bba0d53dbe8ce44201.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Funny 7

22 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

What was that you were saying about sheep, @Winslow Boy

You see what I mean about random sheep moments?

Now I'm going to have to fix another busted street light....

Don't worry Rob help is on the way. Devil Dog has called in a few favours, well when you the Devil's Dog it's surprising just how many favours you collect, and Peg, Molly and Loreen have been despatched by express. They should be with you in a couple of days. Fingers crossed that you can hold out that long.

• Funny 1

I wouldn't worry about it, without the sheep there's far less of an excuse for the railway.

I'd be far more grateful if you'd set your dogs after the accountancy fact finding group that British Railways send in around 1950.

I'm not going to dare touch this for a couple of days. At which point I can do something creative which will allow a 4mm scale bicycle to be ridden across it without a trip to A&E.

If it works, it could also solve the goods yard problem.

If it doesn't, I could end up having to dig up the area behind the platform. :fie:

IMG_20220124_220348.jpg.f82debe06028de3a3218cb88faeca9dd.jpg

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
Technology that fails to deliver
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

The place for sheep behaving badly is the forest of dean. Leave a gate open and they are in. You can find them having a snooze laid on pavements or the edge of roads probably after a luchtime session. If your stone walls are not in good nick they soon find a foothold and are over.

Don

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 23/01/2022 at 00:38, MrWolf said:

The signal box has been lightly weathered and a tube hidden inside to carry lighting wires. I think that there's a couple of other jobs to do, so if you see something that I missed, please speak up! 

S&T plates?

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, longchap said:

Now Experimental sheep do sound rather Pythonesque. Mind you, it’s always the little demonic leaders that you have to be careful of. Amassing little bu**ers they are.

Now can I have a pee please Bob?

Just needs one of the sheep nesting in a suitable tree. Being led on by Harold, that most dangerous of creatures - a clever sheep.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1