Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

One or two of you already know, but the reason that work has stopped on the crossing house and ballasting among other things is that we suffered a break in during the early hours of Sunday morning. 

Ah maaaan. Sorry to hear that mate. 

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thanks Jay, the aftermath has been pretty weird. The memsahib has just about calmed down now. She's more mad that someone thought it's acceptable to make your living by stealing the things by which others make theirs.

The only things that the thief got were some that he definitely didn't want.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MrWolf said:

Thanks Jay, the aftermath has been pretty weird. The memsahib has just about calmed down now. She's more mad that someone thought it's acceptable to make your living by stealing the things by which others make theirs.

The only things that the thief got were some that he definitely didn't want.

I can’t imagine having my home being broken into. My business had a break in a few years ago and it was bad enough watching the scum bags on CVTV. However I did have the satisfaction of catching one of them in the city center, still in possession of some of my equipment and got him arrested. He’s currently in prison. 
The disruption, mess, damage and thought of someone in your gaff is sometimes worse than actually having stuff nicked. I hope you’re both doing alright. 

Jay

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

One or two of you already know, but the reason that work has stopped on the crossing house and ballasting among other things is that we suffered a break in during the early hours of Sunday morning. 

The good news is that the Pre Christmas Power Tool Pixie will not be having a merry Christmas.

I see that the Little Muddle thread have started with the Christmas decorations, given recent events, ours will probably look like this:

postcardstillenachtheiligenacht_465_661_int.jpg.f99c25933a797b426a625e23c15245a8.jpg

Only kidding, we don't have room for a tree that big....

Rob, sorry to hear that.  Hope you and Miss RRH are doing ok.  Not nice to think of some scumbags rooting around in your home.  From what I've learnt of you in the last few months, I suspect they were very lucky that they didn't wake you up...

• Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

It's a convenient arrangement here, basically having a two bed flat above the workshop (it was originally stabling, wash house etc for a boarding house) the downside being that if someone breaks into your garage, they also break into the house.

A friend of mine had the same thing with his antique shop that was divided up into two floors retail and the top two residential. My only concern was keeping SWMBO safe and getting the thief out of my property. The police arrived in a couple of minutes as I'd already told the memsahib to get dressed, get out of the house and call the law.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 7

5 minutes ago, Graham T said:

Rob, sorry to hear that.  Hope you and Miss RRH are doing ok.  Not nice to think of some scumbags rooting around in your home.  From what I've learnt of you in the last few months, I suspect they were very lucky that they didn't wake you up...

They (there was only one) did wake us up. Neither of us sleep much more than about four hours at a time anyway (I can't complain, CPTSD trauma therapy is where we met.) The police knew the thief by name anyway when they got here.

I spent Sunday afternoon reinforcing the side door to the workshop and generally looking after things. 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

Nasty! I recall that in some parts of Eastern Europe, people who had their worksheds broken into (generally by a side door like mine) would rig up a deadfall trap consisting of an old car engine suspended above the door.

Over here of course, the criminal has more rights than the victim.

I'm no Rambo, but nobody frightens the memsahib silly, or steals my livelihood

Edited by MrWolf
PostScript!
  • Like 4
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening Rob, 

Just read through you last few updates. An awful experience but heartening to hear that you and the Memsahib are in the process of getting over it. Good to hear that the Rozzers did their bit. 

Rob. 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That is a real downer didn't the dogs notice anything? A ie big dog tends to put the scum off just make sure the dogs cannot get to anything shoed through the letter box.

Don

• Like 1

I've not owned a dog for about ten years or so and I'm not likely to as the memsahib is unfortunately allergic to them. 

If I still had dogs I would probably have let them at it. IIRC, it's unlawful to let your dogs go after someone breaking into your backyard, but if there's someone uninvited in your house then it's fair game.

Though I suspect that the scrote would get legal aid to sue for his injuries and have your "dangerous" dog put down.

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I've not owned a dog for about ten years or so and I'm not likely to as the memsahib is unfortunately allergic to them. 

If I still had dogs I would probably have let them at it. IIRC, it's unlawful to let your dogs go after someone breaking into your backyard, but if there's someone uninvited in your house then it's fair game.

Though I suspect that the scrote would get legal aid to sue for his injuries and have your "dangerous" dog put down.

It is a shame you cannot have one. You wouldn't want the dog to get hurt but a nice deep throated growl can often change a thief's mind.  Most of ours have been sensitive to unexpected noises. You have to accept being woken unneeded. Monty started barking when a  tawney owl on the chimney started hooting the noise carried down the chimney.

Don

• Friendly/supportive 1

Sorry to here about the break in, glad you are both alright.

Know from first hand experience what it feels like as we suffered one many years ago. Realised something was a miss when we came in and found the telly on the kitchen floor (one of those large CRT ones....heavy) as they had tried to lift in through the broken window and it wouldn't fit so they just dumped it on the floor.....lot of other stuff went that night as well.

What annoyed me and you touched on it how dare someone think they have a right to steal from others that have worked for their stuff and its OK (in their minds) to take it........still annoys me now about 20 years on......

Hopefully you can put this behind you and get on with the layout etc.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, gwrrob said:

Excellent kits and very user friendly to build.

Can confirm this, the D1675 I'm doing is very crisply moulded and going together like a dream.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Oh ! Sorry to hear this, glad you are both ok. Hope the police nail the scumbag. It is a gut wrenching feel to know someone has invaded your private space, had it done a couple of times now.

If you've not got one, then I would suggest getting an alarm. I've had a self fitted wireless alarm for many years now, it saved me losing anything on the last attempt. As soon as they climbed through the front room window they had jemmied open, it went off and scared them away. They had guitars, pedals, tv, xbox all right there that they could have grabbed as they fled but clearly the alarm shat them enough to make them flee empty handed.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold

Really sorry to hear about your break-in Rob.

I too suffered one some years ago, and whilst I was mostly just angry, it had a profound affect on the missus, she was very badly scared by it. It took her a long time to get over it.

Al

• Friendly/supportive 5

Sorry to hear of your home invasion Rob. I can understand how upsetting this can be.

Shortly after my son and his (then) fiancee bought their house, a **** visited in the night, removed the keys and their two cars. The **** responsible was recognised driving one the following day and subsequently dealt with (officially), but only one of the cars was recovered and they didn't want it back.

Understandably the event caused some upset, and there was talk of selling the house, but after some healing time, they are now happily settled in their home.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
On 08/12/2021 at 10:38, 57xx said:

How long before they get to 50% off? :D

Well, less than 24hrs it appears! Sort of...

I put in a very cheeky offer of £7. they didn't like that and countered with £16.99 :jester:

I then had a message saying they usually went for silly money and that they were listing another one at a "more reasonable" price. It was a part built one that "may need fettling and parts to complete" but as I could see the body was all there and I have a brass chassis kit to go under it it was good enough for me! Another offer, this time for a tenner, secured it.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Sorry to hear of your break in Rob, but glad you’re both OK. Hopefully you’ll get what they took back.

Someone broke into our old house via the kitchen window a few years ago and must have gone through the whole place looking for something worth taking. Fortunately we weren’t home as they raided our knife block and took two small kitchen knives, my iPod, the speaker dock and a pair of welding goggles. The police reckoned they were in a hurry as they left the power cable and remote for the speaker dock.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you everyone for your kind words and concern. The police did arrest the thief at the scene, they were here within a couple of minutes whilst the memsahib was on the phone giving directions. 

Like I said, I'm not Rambo and I wouldn't advise anyone else to do it but I do have some training and experience of how to deal and with and subdue an aggressor.  

The only thing that I was thinking at the time was protecting my girlfriend. I was hoping that I would scare off the intruder simply by going downstairs, but he was obviously high on something and decided that he was taking what he had already grabbed. That took one of his hands out of the equation straight away.

I'm still getting wound up recounting the event!

Miss R has calmed down mostly now, she's been through a lot when she was younger and has a different attitude to most people. The only upside is that the thief didn't actually get into the house. I don't think that he even realised that anyone lived above. He probably thought that he was just breaking into a workshop. I know that we would both have felt differently if that was the case. I've been busy fitting an alarm just in case we ever get visited again.

• Like 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13