Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

22 minutes ago, Martin S-C said:

But are you sorry for using the word sorry twice in the same post? :yahoo:

...... and the Golden Anorak award for pedantry goes to ....... :D

BTW, your L&Y van is coming along nicely, I suspect that the locking bar above the doors was secured over pegs with a couple of wedges on chains or French keys.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Informative/Useful 1

20 hours ago, JustinDean said:

There are some small manufacturers of plastic kits such as Mousa and 51L. 

Jay

I have a Mousa LNWR box van and an LNWR 1-plank dropside and both come with brass etch underframes, so I fear they cannot fall into the scope of simple kits for ten-fingered knuckleheads like me.

There's a good few white metal kits that pop up on e-Bay from time to time from companies like Geen, Fourmost, Mikes Models and so on and with the modern super glues I build these without resorting to soldering (not mastering a soldering iron is another failing of mine), so their weight and perhaps a few rinky-dinks with the moulds aside they are as easy as plastic ones to get running.

A good source of LSWR and LBSC prototypes is Smallbrook Studios based on the IoW. They produce resin body kits with white metal details designed to fit onto RTR chassis or you could slide a Cambrian underframe beneath them. I have an LBSC 8 ton van to Dia.1434 and a rebuilt cattle wagon to SR Dia.1457. I haven't built these yet so cannot say how well they go together.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Martin S-C said:

I have a Mousa LNWR box van and an LNWR 1-plank dropside and both come with brass etch underframes, so I fear they cannot fall into the scope of simple kits for ten-fingered knuckleheads like me.

Those are almost not kits. In 00, you can get away with ignoring the fancy suspension; just fold up the underframe (really axleguard) unit and glue everything together with brass pinpoint bearings in the axleboxes; you might need the waisted type.

Bill's more recent "kits" really aren't kits at all...

EDIT: pedant alert. The LNWR's diagram D1 1-plank wagon had fixed sides, as did their diagram D2 2-plank wagons. For ordinary merchandise wagons Earlestown didn't discover the side door until they got to diagram D4 4-plank wagons. There were, however, dropside wagons to D3 - but just when you think there might be a pattern building up, they were 2-plank...

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold

I too am saddened to hear of your break-in, Rob.

Not wishing to make light of what was a very upsetting episode but I suggest you get a few copies of the photos of your dearest wielding that sword that you posted on here affixed to the door and walls of your workshop. That should make any scrote think twice about breaking in.

Edit to add:

You'll need a caption for the photos,

"I live here. Are you feeling lucky, punk?"

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Like 1
  • Funny 3

That makes me think of those "Beware of the wife" signs some people have on their gates. Seriously though, that was another reason to get her off stage as it were. I know her well enough to believe there was a good chance of her picking up something like that and actually using it.

That would have lead to a lot of explaining. 

Or borrowing my mate's fishing boat...;)

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

3 hours ago, Rowsley17D said:

I too am saddened to hear of your break-in, Rob.

Not wishing to make light of what was a very upsetting episode but I suggest you get a few copies of the photos of your dearest wielding that sword that you posted on here affixed to the door and walls of your workshop. That should make any scrote think twice about breaking in.

Edit to add:

You'll need a caption for the photos,

"I live here. Are you feeling lucky, punk?"

Now that reminds me of my Uni friend’s ninjitsu sensei. He was woken by a noise in the night, went downstairs to investigate and found a would-be burglar transfixed by his “display wall” of samurai and ninjitsu weaponry and tournament trophies. He quietly addressed the intruder: “I think you might want to leave”.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 10

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Damn. I didn't get to come up with a one liner.

Unless Grrr counts? 

If does if you are large and with big teeth like your username.

Don

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That's good then.

Not just my username.

That is my name. 

Top drawer delivery. 

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully a better actor, too.

(His portrayal of Judas in “The Last Temptation of Christ”* was memorably described as “more wooden than The Cross”!)

* A priest friend (RC) told me not to watch the film. Not because it was banned, but because it was awful.

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

Steady on old chap, there was a fellow about two thousand years ago called out the established church for straying from the path of integrity and righteousness and becoming a business / absolute rulers.

Look what they did to him...

• Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

After last weekend's disruption, normal (?!) service has been resumed on the erstwhile Clun Valley Railway.

A bag of cinders has arrived from Geoscenics to finish the edges of the formation and work is underway to fill the gaps at the baseboard joints.

Apparently the only thing that can possibly derail progress is if I have the cheek to refer to the permanent way crew as "Ballast Barbie" just once more....:diablo_mini:

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Steady on old chap, there was a fellow about two thousand years ago called out the established church for straying from the path of integrity and righteousness and becoming a business / absolute rulers.

Look what they did to him...

Yes, created a new established church in his name…

I'm not going to get into this, because I find that s*** goes sideways really quickly.

But you find that every faith, religion or political ideology has some good, inspiring ideas.

Once you involve people, these things become either forgotten or twisted to suit somebody's personal agenda.

Like you say @Regularity, profit out of someone else's work.

• Agree 5