Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

You know he's only doing that here because he's been warned off doing it on MRJ threads?

That makes it sound something personal to me. 

I haven't and I resent the inference that would be drawn from your post. 

To explain. The recent threads building up to the release of the forthcoming issue of MRJ have always irked some and Andy Y has put a lock on the most recent one to emerge, thereby preventing anyone adding to the thread. And I hadn't posted on it. 

Please don't make such statements without clarifying what it is you mean. 

Rob. 

• Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Gold
On 25/07/2021 at 00:27, MrWolf said:

IMG_20210725_001640.jpg.33a52e9a4467a7b1f5447af6c894d9c6.jpg

IMG_20210725_001708.jpg.86b6deb1c61406817d97b556ca4254ee.jpg

IMG_20210725_001737.jpg.8fb428778f0e7b2d3523de400a41d94a.jpg

The overhanging banks are a bit of an experiment, using a fairly stiff mixture of plaster and PVA. I loaded a paint scraper with a lump of the gloop and pressed it down onto the edge of the bank before dragging it backwards, scraping the material off the blade. I then tidied up the top surface with a wet brush.

These chaps have had a look and are really impressed and hope to move in soon!

355015F6-7B9B-4C2E-A48D-756654995DBF.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Having looked back through this thread, it might appear that progress is a little haphazard. Aside from domestic distractions and the usual mojo fluctuations that most of us seem to suffer from, I have been attempting to cover all of the jobs that will be difficult or near impossible to do well further into the build. 

Despite having read hundreds of articles over the years on how others have built their layout, I don't think that anyone has come up with a definitive order of operations. Still, as every layout is different and builders have different priorities for the outcome, it's unlikely to happen.

I think that it's a case of KBO.

I reckon it's always best to have a few things on the go, so that if you get fed up with something (e.g. ballasting) or run out of materials for something, there's always something else you can be doing.

• Agree 9

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, Nick C said:

I reckon it's always best to have a few things on the go, so that if you get fed up with something (e.g. ballasting) or run out of materials for something, there's always something else you can be doing.

...but not too many, otherwise progress on any individual one becomes glacial.

• Agree 5

58 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Glad to see things are progressing nicely :good:I’m taking a little break from modelling at the moment as I need to get my mojo recharged :scratchhead:

Thanks Chris, I think that you are far enough ahead with Warren Branch to take a breather. It's one thing creating something for yourself, it's quite another to create something to a deadline for someone who knows exactly how it should look. I've just done a commissioned painting for the memsahib s mother.... It turned out rather well if I say so myself, but I'm still wound up, even though she loves it.

I'm doing the landscape whilst it's so hot because it dries quickly and doesn't soak the boards.

That and avoiding painting varying shades of grey/brown onto about two thousand sleepers, but as Miss R wants to have a crack at ballasting, I had better get on with it. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

...but not too many, otherwise progress on any individual one becomes glacial.

A friend of mine has thirteen motorcycles like that. Some of the rebuild projects have been on the go since the early nineties.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

A friend of mine has thirteen motorcycles like that. Some of the rebuild projects have been on the go since the early nineties.

Sounds a bit like the Rutland Railway Museum, before it changed a bit to become “Rocks by Rail” (because what every tourist attraction needs is a snappy name that is free of geographical information).

(Haven’t been for some time, but there used to be two-three partly decayed examples of various prototypes, which might have allowed the creation of one working example with a few extra spare parts. But with shared ownership…)

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
32 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I've just done a commissioned painting for the memsahib s mother.... It turned out rather well if I say so myself, but I'm still wound up, even though she loves it.

Do you care to share, as I'm sure we'd all love to see it. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks, but having seen the level of skill of the other artists on here, I'd rather not. 

Very nice of you to notice, I must say I am rather proud of this one 

FC583350-3896-4E7F-910D-39F6A1DDD4B9.jpeg.9294d109e1510072e4b6e0c541027b7c.jpeg

:jester:

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Round of applause 5
  • Funny 12

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks, but having seen the level of skill of the other artists on here, I'd rather not. 

Having seen the level of skill by yourself I think you can safely post a pic :good:

• Agree 5
  • Thanks 1

It's way off what I normally do and like railway modelling, there's been a twenty plus years gap since I left art college. I have spent that time just trying to earn a living. Unfortunately,by the time I left university, the kind of things I was good at, technical illustration and graphic art had mostly been given over to computers. You might as well call a CNC milling machine programmer an artist.

Two years ago when I met the memsahib, I did an ink drawing of her from a photograph, because she wanted to look like some Mad Max character, it took me about twenty minutes.

0300083c.jpg.981ca5eef1056e425a1335993aabfbea.jpg

03000849.jpg.5406f821bd7bb708c20b7e508f65b056.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 3