Jump to content

Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.


MrWolf
 Share

Recommended Posts

19 minutes ago, Stubby47 said:

Thanks Rob, that's certainly an option to consider.

 

PM'd you.

 

 

 

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Ta.

I knew they had changed their name, but couldn’t remember to what. Put etchings into a Google search and who knows where it will end up…

 

Ooh no, don't be googling 'etchings.'  Higher authority has already told us to keep this thread to railways. :jester:

  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Regularity said:

Well, nothing sticks like …. and melted chocolate.

(Sad thing is, although I am aware of the dark web, I have never been near it and have no desire to: that this popped up on FB is just weird.)

 

Anyway…

Back to the railways…

 

It surprises me that no one produces etched GWR signal box name plates: the font is known, the width is known. Only the length varies according to the name: put the name in, and the length can be adjusted to suit, and there you have it: artwork for any GWR signal cabin you could ask for, even imaginary ones. Paint it black, then run a hard roller dipped into white paint over the surface, et voila!

 

Maybe Narrow Planet or similar could do it?

 

@MrWolf I have used Narrow Planet a while ago to produce a number of signal box name plates (still waiting the boxes and layout though). Nicely produced but you need to know the exact measurements you require.  I'll try and dig them out and picture them if you are interested? Not sure if I mentioned them on my thread, probably during Hercules build thread as I used them for the number/name plates. 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Moxy said:

That's interesting. The font shown still doesn't look quite right but then again neither is the Coopercraft one or the Slater's 1.5mm letters that I've used previously (but I'll be using a new method that I can't reveal yet, as I'm going to try out a potential new product that's still confidential).

  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

I'll be using a new method that I can't reveal yet, as I'm going to try out a potential new product that's still confidential

Go on, you can tell us: no one else need know.

Or would you have to kill us?

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

The person developing the new product would probably kill me.

If they are hoping to create a small fortune from this process can only do so by starting with a large one…

  • Funny 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Regularity said:

If they are hoping to create a small fortune from this process can only do so by starting with a large one…

I don't think they expect to make any size of fortune but as it is their work and IP it is up to them to announce it, not me.

 

The developer is an RMweb member and frequent poster. That's all I can say at the moment.

Edited by St Enodoc
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just got in from a friend's birthday bash. Things have gotten strange on here again, a different kind of strange to yesterday, but strange all the same.

  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Regularity said:

Ta.

I knew they had changed their name, but couldn’t remember to what. Put etchings into a Google search and who knows where it will end up…

In the early days of web access  when people didn't have personal email addresses. I had access through working in IT. I put in live steam models for a search as was astounded at the responses. It was obvious that very few if any related to small railway engines.

 

Don

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

It was, I didn't get chance to get a better shot of the main station building, which was so neatly made.

It's 4mm scale, I didn't ask about the gauge, the trackwork looked that good it wouldn't matter to me if it was OO or P4.

 

Yes, I'm a philistine, I have come to terms with it....:D

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

  • RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

It was, I didn't get chance to get a better shot of the main station building, which was so neatly made.

It's 4mm scale, I didn't ask about the gauge, the trackwork looked that good it wouldn't matter to me if it was OO or P4.

 

Yes, I'm a philistine, I have come to terms with it....:D

 

When you consider all the other things on a layout track gauge is but one.  A really good layout giving you a sense of place and time  may be 00 EM P4 0F S7.  I find it is not so much the actual gauge but the flangeways and therefore am drawn to using 31.5mm for 0 gauge which does narrow the flangeways. You can do something similar with 00. 

One of the keys for me is trackwork which flows.

 

Don

  • Agree 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Attempt number 247(B) looks good from normal viewing distance. I can live with that.

 

IMG_20211016_172934.jpg.642cd6c95b2ccd4284150a693b2ebc15.jpg

 

 

 

I think in some ways we're our own worst enemies when we take close up pics of our work.  Yes it's good for highlighting errors on the one hand, but there's also a danger of demoralising yourself.

 

The crucial phrase you used is normal viewing distance, I'd say.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What would be really handy is if someone made letters of the right size on a background just the right height to make up your own name however you wanted (a bit like the old John Bull printing sets). This would ensure the letters were properly (badly) spaced (Kerned) and keep them all vertical and in line horizontally as well.

Simon

  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Donw said:

 

When you consider all the other things on a layout track gauge is but one.  A really good layout giving you a sense of place and time  may be 00 EM P4 0F S7.  I find it is not so much the actual gauge but the flangeways and therefore am drawn to using 31.5mm for 0 gauge which does narrow the flangeways. You can do something similar with 00. 

One of the keys for me is trackwork which flows.

 

Don

 

That was one of the considerations I had to address when designing this layout, added to operational interest and maintaining a sense of open space.  I'm reasonably happy that I have achieved that in a fairly small space.

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...