Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

38 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

image thief! :D :D

Al.

Awfully sorry old bean, but you appear to have mistaken me for someone that gives a ....:D:sarcastichand:

That's the trouble with the internet, if you don't want people being impressed with your pictures and borrowing them to show their friends.....

Just ask Paris Hilton.....:blush:

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, MrWolf said:

Awfully sorry old bean, but you appear to have mistaken me for someone that gives a ....:D:sarcastichand:

That's the trouble with the internet, if you don't want people being impressed with your pictures and borrowing them to show their friends.....

Given that I nicked it from somewhere else on the t'interwebs, I haven't really much cause for complaint :)

Aaah, springtime in Paris... memories, memories...

Al.

• Funny 3

28 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

Given that I nicked it from somewhere else on the t'interwebs, I haven't really much cause for complaint :)

Aaah, springtime in Paris... memories, memories...

Al.

In Paris, on Paris, under Paris..... :girldevil:

• Funny 3

Standard GWR windows too. That's actually a very interesting shot, I was looking around for such things in the hope that I could find a drawing but to no avail. I then reasoned that if the line was initially built by an independent, I could use the S&NWR design, especially when I could get round a real one for reference purposes.

I do seriously think that scene would make a model in its own right. It's a wonderfully composed shot. If you think about it viewed from where the little Morris Z van is standing, what a view blocker, never seen a layout with the high ground at the front.

I have a 4' X 1' bit of ply left...

I am also nicking the scenery to the left of the gate for my layout as I have been wondering about that! :good:

• Friendly/supportive 1

A little bit of progress tonight thanks to a little inspiration from @chuffinghell I had been thinking about landscape and wanted a break from wires. 

So I have busied myself putting in a sub base for the manmade bit of the landscape using some cardboard offcuts. The natural landform will be styrene followed by the usual plaster mix. I have a plan for replicating the earth river banks too (which may or may not turn to something softer and browner if / when I get it wrong...) but I will keep posting the results.

IMG_20201121_203707.jpg.4acd1880ffa695802b7a3d2bab8f38d8.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 16

I haven't done an earth shattering amount, but I have managed to cut some formers for the river baseboard and get them secured in place. Once the glue had set overnight, I cut some blocks of styrene packaging that I have collected up and having cut them roughly to shape, glued them into position to create the appropriate land form. 

Wednesday, all being well, I will hack sand and hoover the styrene into gentle slopes that the embankment will stand out from as manmade. 

It's looking more like the breakup of the polar ice caps at present though!

IMG_20201124_223712.jpg.c4c396b9cf6edfc6f4b71bb4e665d6a0.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I'm liking the two water courses, Rob. 

I don't recall seeing that modelled before. 

Rob. 

{Or is that a road......?}

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

Right first time, the river at roughly the point I am attempting to model is joined from the north by the return end of a mill leat. 

So I will also end up needing to show that the river is very slow moving and the water from the mill is returned at a greater rate of flow.

But that's a while off yet!

• Like 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Thanks Brian, I have a lot of formers to make for the rest of the landscape. I need to work out the platform and ground levels on the adjoining boards. That should slow things down a little, but there's plenty of other stuff to get on with. 

I think this is the bit where the layout has to be thought of as a whole rather than a series of unconnected scenes planted side by side. 

I also know that this part is the beginning of hoovering up bits of styrene until about next May. :sarcastichand:

On 21/11/2020 at 15:21, MrWolf said:

Harsh.

image.png.8515fdc5fc3e6f085b30338e04c02633.png

• Funny 2

44 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

Harsh.

image.png.8515fdc5fc3e6f085b30338e04c02633.png

Awfully sorry old chap, I suppose that to newcomers I may come over as a tad unfeeling, it's what the quack calls a coping mechanism for the battle fatigue and all that piffle...

As I said to the Memsahib when we were first introduced at the high commissioner's shindig  "I don't bite unless I am asked nicely". That turned out rather better than anyone expected.

Anyway, welcome aboard the mixed to Clun, calling at places that you have never heard of for what seems like an interminable discussion about a missing box of eggs.

Do be careful of the holes in the carriage floor if traveling third class. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Awfully sorry old chap, I suppose that to newcomers I may come over as a tad unfeeling, it's what the quack calls a coping mechanism for the battle fatigue and all that piffle..........

No need to apologise, I have MMTS (model makers turrets syndrome) too :P

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That's perfectly acceptable, it is an extension of 1/1 scale Task Appropriate Profanity.

I am in the the fortunate position of being a painter as well so I can triple up on the offensive behaviour with what I call "Artists Anger Management".

Edited by MrWolf
#*£#ing tourettes.
  • Like 1

On 26/11/2020 at 09:58, Northroader said:

Will you be having the “All Nations” tree in the view?  (I think it’s the Arbor tree these days)

Um....

You got me there. 

I might be asking @KNP nicely for tips on obtaining the materials and making Many Trees...

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Um....

You got me there. 

I might be asking @KNP nicely for tips on obtaining the materials and making Many Trees...

Misread that and momentarily questioned  who was Mary Trees. 

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

I believe she has exceptionally lovely foliage. 

I'm not even going there. Don't want to get banned before the layout is finished...

All I will say is that nowadays she would at the very most have some neat topiary as it would be applied to a bonsai...

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

Some time ago, I put up a request for a bit of help with the signalling on one of the technical boards. (I still haven't got my head around it!) 

As it was my assumption that the GWR had put in proper signalling to run more than one locomotive, it got quite complex. 

There also seemed to be any number of options. I had originally intended to site the signal box at the western end of the station, so that the crossover and entrance to the goods yard were on the shortest rod run.

This was countered by the assertion that the box would be next to the crossing to operate that as well. 

I was thinking that the engine shed would have a manually operated point. But that's no longer relevant. 

So the size of the box has increased and it would be better off elevated to give a view of the opposite end of the station trackwork.

But I still don't think that the station warrants any of the "standard" boxes that are available in kit form. It was always the intention to at least partly scratch build the box. 

I was thinking of something like this box from Bryn Teify. It's not that large or high and it doesn't look like a kit.

2083348450_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_s-l500(14).jpg.c5a6fb8ee7b73857e6479ba8181ef171.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 8

Another similar design and sized box, this time with a porch, which is probably OTT for my location. It just gives another idea of the maximum size I would go for. Unless anyone knows of a better idea? 

1255948034_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_imagesTUXSGNQH.jpg.a919e2b91ccd0393e79945060a8b5e68.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 5