Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff, Rob. 

Really coming to lifenow. 

Rob. 

Edited by NHY 581
Flamin' autocorrect making me sound like a chump
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Loving the water tower, Rob. 

I have tweaked one of the above images. 

There is a lovely look to your structures. Puts me very much in mind of Iain C Robinson. 

Rob. 

IMG_20201230_135347.jpg.eb2b621588d9afa12bcd15a32a45079e-01.jpeg

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

I forgot to ask Rob, where did you source the chain from ? It looks to be very fine. 

Rob. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, chuffinghell said:

Is that a Ratio kit Rob?

I’m yet to build mine, I was going to use a piece of heat shrink for my O’s like I did with my water crane

Yes it's the Ratio kit, it can be built as a tall flat top as here, short flat top or either conical version. It's a nice kit to build. 

40 minutes ago, NHY 581 said:

I forgot to ask Rob, where did you source the chain from ? It looks to be very fine. 

Rob. 

The chain is actually a rigid etch that comes as part of the water tank kit.

The finest chain I have seen recently was some supplied by Cambrian models.

Thanks for the photoshopping, I thought those pics were a bit dark.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some better pictures of the water tank now that the sun is over the yard arm.

IMG_20201230_172604.jpg.7b28c50d6729fe8d56be1f044a8bb571.jpg

IMG_20201230_172640.jpg.bd1adf5243cc26c5a5daa7cdf6163256.jpg

Thanks for the compliment, I don't know who Iain C Robinson is, so I will have to find out now! 

I was very impressed with the painting of the brickwork on Martin Finney's LSWR layout "Semley" by the late Mike Jolly. The subtle lime leaching and soot on the footbridge etc is sublime. The more I look at that layout, the more careful and light weathering I see. Which is what I am aiming for rather than the run down and filthy effect of a town railway yard in the early sixties.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I don't know who Iain C Robinson is, so I will have to find out now! 

Sadly Iain is no longer modelling (at least publically) and has pulled his superb blog from the web. A few of his photos survive in a thread on here (which also features some of the late Allan Downes' masterful and wonderfully cheeky intrusions :)). 

Here is an example of Iain's work: 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

Thanks for the links everyone, I have read right through the topic and have to say that I am hugely impressed with Iain's work, definitely a standard to aim for.

I also see that there was a lot of banter going on with Allan Downes. He was responsible for my first foray into structure modelling. When I was about ten, a neighbor gave me a pile of Railway Modellers and Model Railway Constructors from the 1970s. In one of them was an article on building a chalkstone (budgie grit!)  barn and other ramshackle buildings. I had to have a go. 

Other things that I can't quite recall that influenced me (rather like when you can recall part of a song line but not the title or artist) were a LSW/GW layout with the odd name of Much cussing in the marsh and another layout from which I pinched the idea for a big tin shed and the only bit of the name I do recall was the name on the shed - Fraddon Rural District Council. 

I think that we all build up a hugely disorganized mental file of influences over the years.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2

Been digging through the box of antiquities again and found another kit I remember having several of in my school days. It still stands up well, apart from the roof. 

I have often seen people make the dismissive comment that Wills' sheets are overscale. I don't think so, the kit parts at the top of the picture have slates approximately 4.5mm square. The offcut of Wills' slates underneath is what I have made as a replacement, if only to maintain continuity with the rest of the railway buildings.

IMG_20201231_223441.jpg.97afbe17ee9890bb75a6cbb59d148748.jpg

• Like 6

Back to the pagoda hut briefly. The more I looked at the gutters, the more #### they looked. Not helped by the rather wonky roof mouldings. I had some Peco guttering from the same sprues I have been using elsewhere and although not as detailed as the cast iron style ones by Ratio, they are smaller in section and look okay as 4" galvanized guttering.

So I attacked the finished model with a knife...

So it looks like @chuffinghell has got his own back on me a little for encouraging his OCD...

IMG_20210101_230818.jpg.b60d90592033ddcc5fd1e099e64f249c.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 13

Whilst scratching around for bits of gutters, from the same sprue I retrieved this pair of doors and whilst not strictly accurate, they gave me an idea.

IMG_20210102_001758.jpg.ab60297537bdf4404f1fa6738fec21d6.jpg

There's a standard GWR type hut that has a more usual use of corrugated iron for its roof than the pagoda hut. I am basing my model on a 14' X 8' design which stood at Thame among other places.

IMG_20210102_171925.jpg.20e37fd64fd089a0597a6f48d0c904aa.jpg

This time I have raided Wills' kits wayside station for the window frame. More bits of which will go into the main station building.

I suspect that building this shed is another case of "Avoidance behaviour" :D

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Whilst scratching around for bits of gutters, from the same sprue I retrieved this pair of doors and whilst not strictly accurate, they gave me an idea.

IMG_20210102_001758.jpg.66e40181ca84721170897af47d02740d.jpg

There's a standard GWR type hut that has a more usual use of corrugated iron for its roof than the pagoda hut. I am basing my model on a 14' X 8' design which stood at Thame among other places.

IMG_20210102_171925.jpg.c5841ccb631ecf3eb9c768ac7c6c883d.jpg

This time I have raided Wills' kits wayside station for the window frame. More bits of which will go into the main station building.

I suspect that building this shed is another case of "Avoidance behaviour" :D

This building is of great interest to me for my impending model of Thame, so please keep us updated!

Cheers

Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Paul, I have only seen one photo of the hut at Thame. It stood between the footbridge and the road bridge.

This is it, pinched from one of the 2mm online groups. I believe that they pinched it from one of the Great Western branch line modelling series of books by Stephen Williams.

PICTURE M.I.A.

Proportionally it's one of the lower rooved models that stand 7'6" at the apex of the curved ends. The whole standing on a sleeper base.

There are others which stand a foot higher all round, such as this one which is a 20'x 8' footprint.

1748429946_C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_SavedImages_llanglydwen(8_1967)2.jpg.a1160c381b4dc691f4529c547f672e3b.jpg

Not 100% sure where this is although the unusual paint job suggests Eynsham.

Edited by MrWolf
PostScript!
  • Like 7

This one turned out to be a quick job. I reinforced the roof with three strips of 60 thou before cutting enough Slater's corrugated sheet for the roof. I then cut the sheet into strips, curved it round a marker pen (undersize) and secured them one at a time with MEK. Whilst too thick to overlap prototypically, any indiscrepancy in butting them together gives the impression that they are overlapped. The roof needs a haircut yet but I will leave it overnight to harden. It is sitting on the right size of sleeper base cut from good ol' coffee stirrers.

IMG_20210102_233916.jpg.583a3c0941e3f32e79d7165bf6e026b0.jpg

IMG_20210102_233926.jpg.d09a5041e7f5263dca4b50e3793611d8.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

11 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks Paul, I have only seen one photo of the hut at Thame. It stood between the footbridge and the road bridge.

This is it, pinched from one of the 2mm online groups. I believe that they pinched it from one of the Great Western branch line modelling series of books by Stephen Williams.

1788_001.jpg.ea5212a0cb748a48a9e6ab62eca1dba4.jpg

Proportionally it's one of the lower rooved models that stand 7'6" at the apex of the curved ends. The whole standing on a sleeper base.

There are others which stand a foot higher all round, such as this one which is a 20'x 8' footprint.

south_leigh_station_1979.jpg.d64dd8e4d006445120d060d075864339.jpg

The picture of the footbridge only is Yelverton.

Re the guttering, I've got some of the new Modelu guttering to try on my pagoda, so wi8ll see how that works out. Just bee redoing the door this morning, inspired by yours!

Alex

Alex

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I hadn't noticed that, the woodwork at the bottom of the stairs is really impressive. I'm going to go out on a Prince Charles type of limb here and say that the loss of such things is what is wrong with modern architecture. I draw the line at about 1960.

I found a new way to cheat when I did the doors of the Thame hut, cut off the location flanges stuck a piece of 0.030" plastic across the doorway and packed the doors forward with a shim of 0.005".

I'm glad (and flattered!) that I have inspired someone else though!

Rob

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

1788_001.jpg.ea5212a0cb748a48a9e6ab62eca1dba4.jpg

south_leigh_station_1979.jpg.d64dd8e4d006445120d060d075864339.jpg

It is the Fairford Branch but it’s South Leigh. Same photo here: Fairford Branch - South Leigh

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1