Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

Well spotted, lots of useful photos there too. You can see why I thought it might be Eynsham, although looking at the photographs I can see that the shed was further away from the booking office at South Leigh, also the Eynsham shed looks to be the taller version of the 14' X 8'....my goof!

Eynsham_Railway_Station_1972.JPG.38e1fd77d31af07738bcb74ab5458470.JPG

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 2

Not made any great strides in railway modelling today, I can't complain though, I have been working on a painting, flicking through books and trawling the internet for research material.

I have been working on the front wall of the Gent's for my station building. It got its kick up the derriere from me finding the slatted ventilator moulding. 

I hope that @Captain Kernow will recognise which station inspired it. :D

IMG_20210105_000121.jpg.b5310717d866373b6e4784c8a92b0989.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

On 26/12/2020 at 17:56, chuffinghell said:

it’s more an approximation

Which actually makes it spot-on accurate, because that is essentially how the old GWR painting foremen went about things, mixing the colours on site, using a colour card as a guide.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I hope that @Captain Kernow will recognise which station inspired it

I'm going to go out on a limb here (before I undertake an 'essential trip' into the village) and suggest that it could have been any Eassie wooden station building, but more likely somewhere such as Dorstone?

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 05/01/2021 at 09:47, Captain Kernow said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here (before I undertake an 'essential trip' into the village) and suggest that it could have been any Eassie wooden station building, but more likely somewhere such as Dorstone?

I remembered you commenting about stations on the Golden Valley line when I mentioned Vowchurch. It's a mixture of that, Dorstone and Peterchurch. 

I have added a small canopy for three reasons.

1. To make it look less of a straight Eassie crib. 

2. Because I have the parts in the box of doom.

3. I like station canopies.

Below is a working sketch of roughly what it will look like.

IMG_20210105_162016.jpg.173b8d57fec4b191dd6e2549eaa508ad.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I am slightly stalled at present with the station building, due to a shortage of materials and conflicting ideas about the layout of the building. 

I had an idea thanks to @Horsehay Railway Modeller posting on his thread and scrolled back half a dozen pages to the advice that everyone has given me about signalling and particularly a signal box. 

I had bits of both Wills and Ratio signal boxes kicking around and looking at the components of the Wills all timber box, it is reminiscent of the resin and 3d kit from Dexters cove. The steps are even facing the right way for what I wanted. It's apparently a Saxby & Farmer design.

ss48.jpg.aa7886fba54cf60675711d073d3cbf62.jpg

Image Wills / Model Maniacs.

It can be cut and shut into a four window frontage without too much trouble by chopping about like this:

IMG_20210107_182826.jpg.f7d32f39ec8ddd658ada8bb6b9e94a09.jpg

That makes an 18' box. What I need though is a 14' box, which means a bit more cutting about.

IMG_20210107_201019.jpg.82222bcf0bbe758378326114a8c3d55e.jpg

Once you have chucked several bits away, it starts to make sense I hope!

IMG_20210107_214144.jpg.6f77d5bbcad78df8356566aed5abe700.jpg

If I have my sums right, I think that I have taken a scale 8'6" off the building, made it a plausible size for the layout and not overwhelmed any of the other buildings.

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

What I have been doing is doodling a few ideas whilst we are watching inspirational Hollywood violence on TV. 

It's because the first kit I ever hacked about, after an article in MRC sometime around 1983, was the good old Airfix signal box. I had 50p and a Stanley knife, so set about making my own version of the square box at Dent. Just because.

@chuffinghell 's ruminations about goods shed offices had got me thinking and I didn't want to hog his thread or muddy his own ideas on how to build a goods shed.

But I thought I would share my ideas for what might be possible, just by using the roof and three sides of the signal box. Other bits could be very useful too.

IMG_20210115_225645.jpg.b40f557754d2aa5e9df039526836793d.jpg

I have no idea why this is sideways, it isn't like it in my files. 4G sucks lately and this is about my 10th upload attempt. I suspect "they" want us all to buy new phones...

Anyway, what would be the top picture, is a goods yard office / checker's hut. Bottom is a possible porter's room on the end of a brick station.

IMG_20210115_225700.jpg.ca427737bdf96e5b9915d1c0a90f1867.jpg

Next I thought add skylights and a vent and you have a gents, or cut the building another way and you have a weighbridge hut for a small space, squeezed up against the goods shed wall.

dapolsignalbox.jpg.115101741feeb24572733d6ccfc06a0d.jpg

Image Andrew Grantham.

There's a lot of useful bits in this 60 year old kit. 

I suppose that you could even make a signal box out of it?

I have posted this in the hope that it will be of interest or useful even to one or more of you.

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 13
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

I hope you don't mind the slight hijack, but this is my take on a cut down Airfix signal box

812485672_CutdownAirfixSB.jpg.3570ce5c8d4b7297a2d1cb050da8cd7e.jpg

It won't be going any further than that because I've managed to get the far vertical,  well slightly less than vertical, but it gives the idea of what I intended.

The replacement roof is Wills ends (SSMP220 T&G boarding, I think), card roof with a downloaded texture for the slates.  The matchsticks under the end are to support bargeboards.

Edited by Moxy
Add missing picture
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, MrWolf said:

What I have been doing is doodling a few ideas whilst we are watching inspirational Hollywood violence on TV. 

It's because the first kit I ever hacked about, after an article in MRC sometime around 1983, was the good old Airfix signal box. I had 50p and a Stanley knife, so set about making my own version of the square box at Dent. Just because.

@chuffinghell 's ruminations about goods shed offices had got me thinking and I didn't want to hog his thread or muddy his own ideas on how to build a goods shed.

But I thought I would share my ideas for what might be possible, just by using the roof and three sides of the signal box. Other bits could be very useful too.

IMG_20210115_225645.jpg.b40f557754d2aa5e9df039526836793d.jpg

I have no idea why this is sideways, it isn't like it in my files. 4G sucks lately and this is about my 10th upload attempt. I suspect "they" want us all to buy new phones...

Anyway, what would be the top picture, is a goods yard office / checker's hut. Bottom is a possible porter's room on the end of a brick station.

IMG_20210115_225700.jpg.ca427737bdf96e5b9915d1c0a90f1867.jpg

Next I thought add skylights and a vent and you have a gents, or cut the building another way and you have a weighbridge hut for a small space, squeezed up against the goods shed wall.

c006l_300x273_m.jpg.97f88589912a93278ead541e785b4e49.jpg

There's a lot of useful bits in this 60 year old kit. 

I suppose that you could even make a signal box out of it?

I have posted this in the hope that it will be of interest or useful even to one or more of you.

That's very clever Rob, a great use of an old kit.

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Alister, I wouldn't claim to be the first to think of bodging around with it, but I think it pays to revisit these models and look at how we  can use them or parts of them to make something unique or unavailable elsewhere.

I rather like what @Moxy has begun with his, it has a look of one of the South Wales companies about it time and I have never known anyone alter the width before now. I reckon that it needs finishing off just for the hell of it, there's a lot of potential there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Who's a lucky boy then?

Woof Woof.

15 minutes ago, Rowsley17D said:

Looks as though it's crying out for passengers because of those large windows. Any plans? I hope it's easy to take apart if you have.

Good point. It's very easy to remove the body by spreading two clips under the centre doors, leaving all the seats, lighting etc firmly screwed to the chassis. 

But then you need a driver / conductor. Which is where the First Law Of The Cosmos comes in:

Thou Shalt Not Win.

Driver at one end, wrong.

Driver at both ends, wrong.

I will have to only run it at night with the forward cab lit up.

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

I could say I have a similar problem with my motor train, but I haven't really. There's a driver in the trailer and one in the cab, but it's hard to make out the one in the trailer and the one in the cab is on the non-viewing side!

• Like 2