Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Here we a

9 hours ago, MrWolf said:

The little shed has its finials re-attached too.

IMG_20210406_232518.jpg.a0a206bb2574383dadaf16624b261940.jpg

I

Scale Link do a little cast set of GWR finials if that is any use. I got mine from Wizard models

Alex

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 03/04/2021 at 10:52, MrWolf said:

Back to model railway subjects, the next thing that will be getting more paint, weathering and some finer details is a real old relic. 

It's a Cooper Craft GWR platelayers hut that I have finally found time to build and will be sited somewhere down near the headshunt.

I haven't done an awful lot to it other than replace the roof with slates that look nearer scale and a bit of lead flashing around the chimney.

These are a nice model which does turn up on eBay fairly often and doesn't go for silly prices.

One mistake I did make was not to snatch the instructions off her before somebody asked if I was going to make the grindstone rotate.

I have done some daft things in the interest of showing off to girls, but this has to be the oddest. So the grindstone spins nicely via its little handle, for no reason other than it can...

IMG_20210403_003758.jpg.88dc4076dd7ff7d79cd9876d43265e93.jpg

IMG_20210403_003818.jpg.eb5c5c0ca1d2e253133028caa3f16d55.jpg

But do you have an animated man driven by a servo or a stepper motor to actually move it? ;) 

Seriously though, this work is so impressive!

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jon Harbour said:

But do you have an animated man driven by a servo or a stepper motor to actually move it? ;) 

Now that would be a challenge. He'd be like one of those '70's garden windmills.... 

Hide a suitable motor / gearbox in the shed, cardan shaft to the grindstone and a jointed figure...:butcher:

1 hour ago, Jon Harbour said:

Seriously though, this work is so impressive!

Thank you, you're most kind. I can assure you that there's quite a bit of unimpressive work tucked away too.... :banghead:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Now that would be a challenge. He'd be like one of those '70's garden windmills.... 

Hide a suitable motor / gearbox in the shed, cardan shaft to the grindstone and a jointed figure...:butcher:

I was actually thinking along the lines of the Magnorail cyclists.... but using the arms instead of the legs as the clear plastic wheel revolves!

Edited by Jon Harbour
Clarity
  • Like 1

Those things are quite manic. But for a busy road, why should the trains move and the cars be static?

We're stuck in a bit of a time loop in this house, the calendar roughly swings from about 1930 to 1963. The world ended soon after, so I was thinking more of a gigantic Triang motor that smells like fireworks but does give you the grindstone sound effects.

I wonder if I could make a Magnorail bicycle look like this one?

IMG_20201129_215214.jpg.0c28f7a7ded5a173264e36ad578ec5f1.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Typing with hind paws again...
  • Like 8

Base coat of "Creosote" on the platelayers hut and a pair of embryonic chimneys for the station building.

Grr. Fiddly. When you need to file a bevel on something that is only 6mm wide and you can't put it in a vice.

Patience is a virtue Mr Wolf

No, she's not, she's a bloody teaser. Everyone knows that!

However, when all has set, more brickwork, more filing, filling, tidying up the brick courses and chimney pots. 

IMG_20210408_231139.jpg.96f3aa99f79dab8768104a9db8c6dddf.jpg

Image missing in action.

Edited by MrWolf
Stupid autocorrect
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

39 minutes ago, Gedward said:

Very convincing so far. I'm finding that these little huts just evolve slowly taking on a life of their own.

Don't they just?

P1020770_Cropped.JPG.32b9559a16cbd30a8691c06ed7394d74.JPG

Edited by Mick Bonwick
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

33 minutes ago, Mick Bonwick said:

Don't they just?

P1020770_Cropped.JPG.32b9559a16cbd30a8691c06ed7394d74.JPG

Are you breeding those? Be careful that builders of new housing developments don't send their spies to steal your recipe...

• Funny 2

THAT was interesting.

I'm glad that I chickened out of spraying the points and masked them off for painting later on. Whilst the rattle can has saved heaps of time, it's possibly the worst aerosol can that I have ever used. The pound shop satin black I use performs faultlessly, so I was disappointed at £7 for less than half the amount.

I've heard a number of people complain about these cans more than once.

The paint comes out very fast and drips absolutely everywhere. My fingers are an interesting colour.

Cheeky remarks have already been made about fake tan...

You can see the splodges all over the boards.

IMG_20210409_202129.jpg.7e3c7ec64cdfe8aa8609ce56153c35df.jpg

Images missing:

IMG_20210409_202115.jpg.e767cdff971e87912e5725035696552f.jpg

IMG_20210409_202056.jpg.4594be7be8542e70cc56a6331a78fafe.jpg

IMG_20210409_202053.jpg.7d6ca29bc1c96ad23c13c4f345ce388a.jpg

Hopefully it will dry matt.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 8

• RMweb Gold

That's one of the reasons I prefer the acrylic aerosols, they don't seem to behave like that, with a much finer mist in general.

My sympathies, but what you have achieved looks good so far.

Al.

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Alister_G said:

That's one of the reasons I prefer the acrylic aerosols, they don't seem to behave like that, with a much finer mist in general.

My sympathies, but what you have achieved looks good so far.

Al.

Agreed

Railmatch don’t do acrylic aerosols but humbrol acrylic aerosols are very good, not sure what the closest to sleeper grime would be though

Halfrauds car paints are acrylic too I believe, I used to use them a lot even though it was costing a small fortune. My local Halfrauds was forced to close down following the first lockdown unfortunately

• RMweb Gold
12 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Railmatch don’t do acrylic aerosols but humbrol acrylic aerosols are very good, not sure what the closest to sleeper grime would be though

No you are right there isn't an exact match to sleeper grime, but as a general track base coat I use the Humbrol Dark Earth (29) acrylic aerosol.

It's a decent colour for the sleeper bases, and can be darkened with weathering powders, and acrylics matt colours really are matt when dry, unlike enamels, which always seem to have a sheen to them (to me at any rate).

Al.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

+ 1 here for Humbrol dark earth as per Al to provide a base colour. 

I then paint each sleeper using 173 track colour before adding  weathering powders to taste. 

Takes a while......

Rob 

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1