Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

I have finally found a picture of the Forge Garage at Aston on Clun which is not emblazoned with the words "A plague upon the house of he who dares to download this image" or whatever...

It's sandwiched between the Kangaroo Inn and one of the roundhouses. Note the large number of pumps doubtless selling seperate brands. Nowadays there's two and probably out of use.

I have moved it further into the distance, on the edge of the village to the west of Aston Hall. 

pba00956.jpg.3a2179b79e888a43f29eecb76f848115.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 8

31 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

Rule 1 - your other half is always right.

Rule 2 - if your other half is wrong, see Rule 1.

Now you're straying into the territory of The First Rule Of The Cosmos.

#1. THOU SHALT NOT WIN.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2

I think that you're all very cynical....:D

I remember someone who I worked with taking great delight in the fact that my then girlfriend had done a bunk.

He gave me all the "I knew you were punching above your weight and it wouldn't last..." kind of speech that said more about his jealousy than my choice of partner.

I shut him down with: 

"Tis better to have loved and lost than to be stuck with a fat girl who hates you and three children who might not be yours...."

I can be a bit mean at times but I like to think that I am still a romantic at heart.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 4
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Regularity said:

If a man says something and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Undoubtedly. Furthermore, this is a proof of the existence of women. (Or is it of men? Of of Bishop Berkeley? Or possibly just of you, Simon? I've never been that good at philosophy...)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

Undoubtedly. Furthermore, this is a proof of the existence of women. (Or is it of men? Of of Bishop Berkeley? Or possibly just of you, Simon? I've never been that good at philosophy...)

If we start from the angle that philosophy is about asking questions to which the answers may be difficult, then you seem pretty good at it already...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
38 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I shut him down with: 

"Tis better to have loved and lost than to be stuck with a fat girl who hates you and three children who might not be yours...."

Not that that's cynical...

And now, I have the them to "The Flashing Blade" as an ear-worm.

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Regularity said:

If we start from the angle that philosophy is about asking questions to which the answers may be difficult, then you seem pretty good at it already...

As the mother of a philosophy student friend of mine said to her, over something she was heartbroken about (not me): "Be philosophical dear, just don't think about it." She was unimpressed.

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, wiggoforgold said:

What about Shroedinger's man, who is both right and wrong at the same time?

Only until he opens his mouth.

(And if a woman is present, he is going to be wrong.)

Edited by Regularity
  • Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold

Every woman I have met had not understood that when asked what he is thinking about, when a man says "Nothing (much)" then it is almost certainly true.

This little piece of information has saved quite a few relationships.

• Agree 2

29 minutes ago, Regularity said:

Not that that's cynical...

And now, I have the them to "The Flashing Blade" as an ear-worm.

It wasn't cynical at all.

As it turned out, every word was true, apart from the "might" in the "three children who might not be his" part of the retort.

Two of them weren't.

We seem to have wandered into a minefield whilst chasing philosophical butterflies.

As I pointed out in paragraph one, post one, page one of this thread, it was the memsahibs inspiration for me to build another layout and post my progress on here.

Which also includes talking to you lot...

Hmmm....

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I wish you wouldn’t bring up my ex wife :lol:

I'd already eaten the three little pigs, no way was I going to be able to digest all three of her as well,

You conveniently forget that as a result I overdosed on about five packets of Gaviscon tablets and ended up having an antacid trip 

Took about 72 hours to come down.

It all comes back to your poor decision making.

It's why I never drink and date....

• Funny 2

Back, more or less on track. I have bought a Ratio 553 signalbox interior and proceeded to chop it about a bit.

I also have a whitemetal kit and whilst the lever frame is more compact, there's so much flash and deformation about it, I will just be raiding it for bits like the token machine, telephone etc. It's a pity because the metal kit is less generic.

Like my childhood bicycles, I will make one that works out of what I have lying around.

It's usually more fun, though in this case I won't be looking for a prize for accuracy. Having said that, you probably won't be able to see much when the roof is on, but an empty signalbox stands out a mile.

IMG_20210429_010031.jpg.4869ca31ca9e1963eb6d8c316fda2fee.jpg

As you can see, my workbench is meticulously organised....

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 12