Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

I've never seen a zebra on a zebra crossing, just shows what good camouflage it is

On 29/04/2021 at 20:55, Regularity said:

I can’t see a zebra there...

On 29/04/2021 at 21:19, MrWolf said:

It got run over by the van.

On 29/04/2021 at 22:47, MrWolf said:

Van driver said he didn't see it. 

What’s black and white snd red all over?

A zebra stupid enough to use a zebra crossing on a busy high street...

• Like 1

I've been rather busy lately, but not wanting to lose momentum entirely, I have been getting on with a number of the little jobs that I can pick up as and when.

Such as beheading an unsuspecting telegraph pole or two.

IMG_20210504_011415.jpg.5d5210a529956383115098d027c7217c.jpg

These are the old Airfix / Dapol jobs from the 60s. They are a bit of nostalgia for me to be honest, being the first thing I made for my first train set!

The insulators are quite nicely done, the cutout for extra transoms is prototypical too. 

I've got some Ratio ones knocking about which are probably just as old. The climbing pegs on those are much better, but the insulators are just blobs. I feel an experiment in the ridiculous coming on...

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Franken-pole?

Also, where did you get the plate for the weighbridge from Mr W?  It looks the part, and I think something like it would suit Chuffnell Regis.

Not many proprietary items make it onto the layout without being painted, modified or totally rebuilt I'm afraid.

The weighbridge is an oddball. It was drawn up by a friend of mine and the lettering on it is totally fictitious - well, it scored me plenty of brownie points! 

IMG_20210501_002605.jpg.5b89398b1f7a8d6fc2627221f80547ba.jpg

The lettering should be like this one at Church Stretton, Shrops. 

5076043_55aad36b.jpg.9baa7832897ee6a89f01539aacfeb44b.jpg

I might be able to get something made at cost with the correct lettering. I'll ask.

As it is you are likely to get sucked into a parallel universe. Rather like saying "Beetlejuice" once too often.

There are brass etched plates from Wizard models of the old Smiths by W&T for a GWR cart weighbridge, cat. No. SF12. It's a scale 7'6" X  13'0". It's an earlier design than the two above.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I might be able to get something made at cost with the correct lettering. I'll ask.

As it is 3D printed, would it be available for other scales?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Pooley weighbridge platforms are available in 4mm and 7mm here

http://intentio.co.uk/goods-yard/

I’d contact them first before ordering though as I’ve never ordered from them so I’m unable to vouch for them

Cheaper than a 3D printed custom version as a custom OO gauge platform costs approximately £15-20 because of the work that goes into drawing them up

8A569A2D-2F6F-44F5-9F6D-C259A8FAFB71.jpeg.5a119a5aca3322876446b75aef9b7f56.jpeg

I could upload custom designs to Shapeways for purchase but I don’t know how well the text would come out

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

Pooley weighbridge platforms are available in 4mm and 7mm here

http://intentio.co.uk/goods-yard/

I’d contact them first before ordering though as I’ve never ordered from them so I’m unable to vouch for them

Cheaper than a 3D printed custom version as a custom OO gauge platform costs approximately £20

Ive ordered a few products from Intentio - roof slates and laser cut bricks and been very happy with their products. 

Jay

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Here we have some of the interior components of the signal box, I'm about halfway through painting it all.

It's a mixture of Springside, Ratio and MSE. 

I've had about a dozen attempts at uploading pictures, keeps falling due to lack of memory. 

Probably because of the adverts that I have no interest in, but they always load first.

I'll try again in the morning!

Edited by MrWolf
  • Friendly/supportive 5

Sorry folks, whenever I try to post a picture on here, the site just drops out. I'm doing nothing different and posting pictures anywhere else such as eBay is working fine. 

I've really struggled since the site was down a few days ago and I now can't post pictures on here without crashing the internet.

Any ideas? 

It have passed the device to our technical department. She has access to a sizeable selection of hammers...

Some conflict between a recent security update and whatever was going on with the site the other day when all I got was an error message.

There are teeth marks in my phone.... 

They're not mine...

Anyway, I was going to attempt to fit this lot...

IMG_20210504_220223.jpg.5f149348948480d6a58f37be10267667.jpg

Into here...

IMG_20210504_220242.jpg.909635992d0ace229ae446684e633e26.jpg

Over on the Warren Branch thread, the contents of Shrewsbury LNWR box was squeezed into a Wills ground frame hut, so I have no excuse! 

This is the only building that I am tempted to put a light into, any suggestions on how best to do this would be much appreciated!

In the meantime, much more painting of twiddly bits.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

It have passed the device to our technical department. She has access to a sizeable selection of hammers...

Some conflict between a recent security update and whatever was going on with the site the other day when all I got was an error message.

There are teeth marks in my phone.... 

They're not mine...

Anyway, I was going to attempt to fit this lot...

Into here...

Over on the Warren Branch thread, the contents of Shrewsbury LNWR box was squeezed into a Wills ground frame hut, so I have no excuse! 

This is the only building that I am tempted to put a light into, any suggestions on how best to do this would be much appreciated!

In the meantime, much more painting of twiddly bits.

You probably don't need the yellow ones.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
6 hours ago, MrWolf said:

any suggestions on how best to do this would be much appreciated!

Offer a thin piece of card or paper down to measure for a new floor. Trace over where the windows are. Then use this as a guide for cutting a new floor.

You could then build everything onto this and then add it as a complete module. If the new floor is a tad smaller it should go in OK. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

I'm currently experimenting with a short length of LED strip for Yelverton box, running from the driver for the layout lights. The shortest the strip can be cut to is 3 LEDS, which is too bright, so I have obscured two. The strip is fitted inside the front of the roof. Iin your case, I'd run the two wires down the inside of the rear corners.

Alex

PS: The block instruments look interesting. Ratio?

Edited by wiggoforgold
PS added
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Nice to see that the Boffin has sorted the Gremlin. 

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Signal boxes generally didn't have bright lights inside so that the signalman could still see out at night (both without destroying night vision and also avoiding reflections). A light shining on the signal diagram and perhaps a reading light by the train register would be about it.

Most illuminated model signal boxes are far, far too bright.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, St Enodoc said:

Signal boxes generally didn't have bright lights inside so that the signalman could still see out at night (both without destroying night vision and also avoiding reflections). A light shining on the signal diagram and perhaps a reading light by the train register would be about it.

Most illuminated model signal boxes are far, far too bright.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I do go down the illumination route it needs to be barely lit, in practice probably by an oil lamp. I suspect that an LED is going to be far too efficient. I might just have to go old school and fit a yellow grain of wheat bulb if you can still get them and power it via a rheostat. I have an old General Motors dashboard dimmer switch somewhere which would do it.

The other possibility is to run a bit of homemade fibre optic cable in there and light that with an LED that's out of sight under the baseboard.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I really need to pay more attention to the Content I Follow feed rather than randomly browsing the forum as I end with loads of catching up to do...

On 27/04/2021 at 23:31, MrWolf said:

Have you ever had a look at those dating sites?

Yes, after my divorce. I didn't "find love" but I learnt a hell of a lot about women in their early 40's and their desires. However, as this is a family forum...

On 26/04/2021 at 10:31, MrWolf said:

Number two Macaw is getting there. I know that it's fashionable in some circles to dismiss them as crude, outdated and an uncommon prototype (I think that I have heard that they're not quite the right length too.) But they are enjoyable to build and don't look out of place on a branchline or a mainline.

Which is probably why Ratio made them.

IMG_20210426_101603.jpg.ce2f98ece1dae9c6891d1cc37b816b14.jpg

BIB: It might have been uncommon, but even if only one ever existed, it had to be somewhere on the system during it's life and that somewhere could easily be Aston On Clun as anywhere else. Rule #1.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

If you wanted to go down the LED light route an appropriate resister can reduce brightness. Also you could make a ‘shade’ for the LED to diffuse and control direction. 

Jay

• Like 2
  • Agree 2