Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold

I thought that I'd posted this before, finger trouble apparently...  Ref lighting the signal box, have you considered something like the solution Chris used in the warren Branch goods shed?

On 04/05/2021 at 11:35, MrWolf said:

Not many proprietary items make it onto the layout without being painted, modified or totally rebuilt I'm afraid.

The weighbridge is an oddball. It was drawn up by a friend of mine and the lettering on it is totally fictitious - well, it scored me plenty of brownie points! 

IMG_20210501_002605.jpg.5b89398b1f7a8d6fc2627221f80547ba.jpg

The lettering should be like this one at Church Stretton, Shrops. 

5076043_55aad36b.jpg.9baa7832897ee6a89f01539aacfeb44b.jpg

I might be able to get something made at cost with the correct lettering. I'll ask.

As it is you are likely to get sucked into a parallel universe. Rather like saying "Beetlejuice" once too often.

There are brass etched plates from Wizard models of the old Smiths by W&T for a GWR cart weighbridge, cat. No. SF12. It's a scale 7'6" X  13'0". It's an earlier design than the two above.

Thats is my range and I can tweak the file so the weighbridge text and number matches.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Signal boxes generally didn't have bright lights inside so that the signalman could still see out at night (both without destroying night vision and also avoiding reflections). A light shining on the signal diagram and perhaps a reading light by the train register would be about it.

Most illuminated model signal boxes are far, far too bright.

Alresford Box has three lamps - one pointing at the diagram & block shelf, one above the register, and one at the top of the stairs. They're all electric these days, but still pretty dim - I don't know whether they'd have been gas in earlier eras though (as with the rest of the station - the platforms are still gaslit), they may have been low-voltage electricity from the box supply - all signalboxes would have had a bank of batteries to power the instruments even if they didn't have mains.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

That's a good point. The train register desk in the Ratio kit has an Anglepoise lamp, which are always electric and didn't appear until the early 1930s. 

With backup batteries for the telegraph.there's no reason why a signalbox shouldn't be electrically lit. 

I'm just going to have to be very careful about light intensty, it's important not to look too bright because the wrong effect looks like another failed attempt to catch the Roadrunner...

atomicbomb.jpg.be0d9dc69412893213b788bb50773e75.jpg

atomicbomb.jpg.be0d9dc69412893213b788bb50773e75.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Typing with hind paws again...
  • Like 3
  • Funny 3

9 hours ago, BrushType4 said:

Thats is my range and I can tweak the file so the weighbridge text and number matches.

I take it you mean the Pooley 20 tonner at Church Stretton? 

You're welcome to post a link, several people have been asking about weighbridge plates.

The model one is an alteration of a scale 16'x 8' Pooley plate that was done as a one off, drawn by one of the contributors on here, which also had a fictitious maker's name. Mine is based on a 13' X 7'6" item, using dimensions from an original near here and shrinking the cad drawing before putting a Chester address on it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I always wire lights via a pot and turn the voltage as low as required if that’s of any help?

That would be much less bulky than the old rheostat I have and probably cost next to nothing.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I have finally removed the broken right hand point, which was much easier this time. 

Check the solenoid is in the correct position and working properly.

Check that the clearance around the operating rod is sufficient.

Check that new point operates freely...

It did, about three times. Not under power. Then it jammed (the point was sitting flat on the baseboard at this stage. ) One of the blades had detached itself from the tie bar, which is only held by twisting a tab on the rail through a hole in the tie bar. I had to turn the point over to discover this.

Being spring loaded, the tiebar fell out and the spring headed for the fifth dimension. (The fourth dimension being the little rucksack Miss Riding Hood takes everywhere.)

I never had any problems with Peco points when I was a hamfisted child and they were way better than any other commercial offering. These just don't seem to be as well made as they were in the 80s

If I had the skills / time / money, I'd rip the lot out and go for hand built track.

On a more positive note, the Mechanical Horse has just arrived. I don't think that it will need much to make it look less toylike, it's a very nice model - but...

Mine has a tyre missing.

So that's going back too.

Can anyone make anything any good anymore?

IMG_20210512_133254.jpg.4f1070f1a37d006ea6bb7d39ae577849.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 12

• RMweb Gold

I happen to have a spare tyre for one of these (don't ask why)

If you like I can post it to you? saves you sending it back

Anyway I thought you preferred two wheels ;)

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

That would be really helpful thanks! 

Because we don't have a printer, the return label that the vendor sends turns the whole thing into a bit of a performance.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

That would be really helpful thanks! 

Because we don't have a printer, the return label that the vendor sends turns the whole thing into a bit of a performance.

It will be in the post this evening :good:

Invoice will be sent separately :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

That's really bad luck Rob, did you happen to walk the wrong way round a churchyard recently, and pass under a ladder whilst dropping a mirror on a black cat?

I would be seriously peeved about the Peco point, that really isn't good enough.

Sympathies mate.

Al.

• Agree 3
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Thanks Alister, it's annoying, but not the end of the world. Definitely annoying though and I promise that there had been no attempt to paint, modify or otherwise vandalise the point! :banghead:

The superstitious side of me was expecting something else to happen, because sucky happenings always happen in threes, right?

But @chuffinghell broke the curse, so we're good.

I think.

Probably.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Blimey Rob!

T'would appear that Cack, Lord God of Chaos and Mayhem has visited himself upon you...

Rob. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, chuffinghell said:

I’ve just posted your tyre, so hopefully it will be with you soon :good:

Probably be flat when it arrives.......

• Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Flying in the face of the God of Cack, the scientist believes that for every action, there has to be an equal and opposite reaction.

Therefore; if this morning was a result of something approaching a Reverse Midas Touch, wherein everything one touches turns to s**t...

If I approached surfacing the platform with neat PVA and chinchilla dust with considerably less care than replacing the point, it might just turn out okay...

Maybe.

IMG_20210512_234857.jpg.79a81e0227dc93d36f34c04f58562211.jpg

I won't know for sure until tomorrow.

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 3