Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Mikkel said:

I still haven't found out if there is a difference between the stuff labelled Chinchilla "sand" and that called "dust". All I can get here is labelled "sand".

I've just checked my bag of Chinchilla dust, and it feels as though it has a similar grain size to the sand that I used for filling to gaps on my (12" = 1ft) patio, so my guess is that Chinchilla sand and Chinchilla dust are probably the same.  It has a much coarser size than the dust which occasionally (ahem) settles in the manor house.

Adrian

• Informative/Useful 2

Kiln dried sand is available from Builder’s merchants, it’s fine sand as you’d expect, but it’s clearly sand.  5 quid for 20 kilos.

chinchilla dust is 5 quid for 3 kilos, but is “a mineral absorbent clay powder uniquely designed for the bathing of your chinchilla” according to the website I found.

if both websites are honest (why wouldn’t they be?), then it ain’t the same stuff.

atb

Simon

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

It is basically what potters refer to as "grog". Fired clay that is ground down to fine powder for improving the consistency and workability of clay.

Sand is a natural product, the fine type that is used for laying slabs etc is known as silver sand. It's still heavier than chinchilla dust / sand and usually contains a lot of water and other impurities.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Interesting. To me that suggests that there is a difference between Chinchilla dust and Chinchilla sand, then. This is a close-up of the stuff I have used, branded as Chinchilla sand:

image.png.b839df346abbcd3464d62ec27794361c.png

• Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

• RMweb Gold
18 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Sun's out, surf's up! So we have taken the bikes out in a further attempt to defy Cack, Lord God of Chaos and Mayhem. Or to make it rain for a month. Though I have seen several brand new Harley Davidsons so I suspect that the long range (4 weeks plus) forecast is peachy.

Not before finishing up the telegraph poles.

First I dry brushed them in the direction of the grain with 53 Gunmetal for that silvery bleached effect. Then a dabbed coat of satin 85 coal black for the tar that oozes out of the bottom three feet or so.

I picked out the pegs and cap in 01 grey and the insulators in 121 light stone. 

On reflection I could have done a better job of tidying up the mould marks but overall they look the part.

I think it pays not to be sniffy about some of the old stagers. We'd miss them when they're gone.

Good to see I'm not the only one using Gun Metal for wood work! Looks great dry brushed  on and polished up.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks, it just seems to give that slightly silvery grey sheen that creosoted timber has.

IMG_20210406_200206.jpg.dfb629542e3a60250fd40262998276df.jpg

This is an early experiment using Humbrol 53 Gunmetal.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 14
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Thanks, it just seems to give that slightly silvery grey sheen that creosoted timber has.

IMG_20210406_200206.jpg.dfb629542e3a60250fd40262998276df.jpg

This is an early experiment using Humbrol 53 Gunmetal.

That roof looks spot on to me.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

That's a seriously impressive bit of scruffiness! 

It just makes me think of any back road around Doveholes.

My shed is way more modest, but I found another picture that shows the tarred wood better.

IMG_20210402_205040.jpg.4b5f940377157130bac835328273939a.jpg

• Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

Looks like I need to read back through somebody's thread.............Sad, I know...

Not sad at all, in fact I would encourage it..........I might even have another look myself,  I'm not planning any more buildings but it is definitely worth another look though, very inspirational

Edited by chuffinghell
  • Like 1

Reading threads from the beginning is a good idea, it's educational and puts the whole thing into context.

Me having a corrugated iron fixation? (The curly stuff, not that godless box profile abomination)

Probably a bit sad.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Me having a corrugated iron fixation? (The curly stuff, not that godless box profile abomination)

Probably a bit sad.

If so then take heart, you are not alone!

I try to add a bit of nice rusty wriggly tin to all of my layouts somewhere, although I think Ladmanlow only has a single sheet lying in the grass.

Al.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I have now been through from start to finish, fully up to speed and fully on board now as well.

Very entertaining and some lovely models being produced, can’t wait to see your version of the S on S goods shed?

Looking forward to following the progress

What’s next?

• Thanks 1