Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

7 hours ago, Limpley Stoker said:

I chose to model Limpley Stoke, ( three miles from where I live)  in a large shed starting about 15 yrs ago,  (despite opposition from domestic management who continues to find me more important things to do, hence the slow evolution). The area is well documented with lots of photographic evidence so having laid down the track some 10 yrs ago I get most enjoyment from making the buildings as accurate as possible from card and scalescenes textures —then fighting the woodlice who try to eat them!   I’m still looking for a varnish that deters them.BB470F65-B027-47E7-8ADF-5CDA8A8E322C.jpeg.fbc012591fa19d030e53ced3116609be.jpeg

Very nice job indeed, can I ask where did you get the signal box name plate from?

I must admit that there is possibly more enjoyment for me in actually making the buildings than in running trains, but as we share the room, I am more determined to get the layout to at least a tidy and useable state. 

I won't say "finished" because as @KNPhas shown us lately, even when it's finished, you can always do something else, or change a whole section.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you!  The signal box name was printed using Word, but I can’t remember the font. I have since downloaded a specific GWR font for use with Word from a now defunct Yahoo GWR group. If you are interested I could dig out the file and forward it! I was advised many years ago, while working in Germany, that you should never ever finish a model railway;  I’ve always found that advice comforting

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Those woodlice should now be very afraid- some excellent looking products on offer I’d never heard of on that website.  - Nippon  powder was my only weapon ..........until now!

• Like 1

I suppose that in many cases if you announce that you have finished your model railway, then you will be expected to:

1. Tidy up

2. Get rid of all that junk that might come in useful.

3. Clear the bookshelves of reference material.

4. Stop buying model railway kits, parts, tools and complete models.

5. Stop disappearing at weekends on site visits or to exhibitions, looking for advice and inspiration.

6. Get on with domestic tasks.

7. Watch dull programmes with your significant other.

The list goes on.

I get around a lot of these things because we have to share a room for our indoor interests and neither of us care much for television. I don't think that either of us is likely to grow up anytime soon.

• Like 7
  • Agree 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 2

3 hours ago, MrWolf said:

I suppose that in many cases if you announce that you have finished your model railway, then you will be expected to:

1. Tidy up

2. Get rid of all that junk that might come in useful.

3. Clear the bookshelves of reference material.

4. Stop buying model railway kits, parts, tools and complete models.

5. Stop disappearing at weekends on site visits or to exhibitions, looking for advice and inspiration.

6. Get on with domestic tasks.

7. Watch dull programmes with your significant other.

The list goes on.

I get around a lot of these things because we have to share a room for our indoor interests and neither of us care much for television. I don't think that either of us is likely to grow up anytime soon.

8. Build another one but better….well that's the idea but....

Edited by KNP
  • Like 4

On 25/06/2021 at 18:54, Nick C said:

@MrWolf is your Stuka pilot open to commissions, or does he just do buses? There's a really irritating ice cream van round here...

I'm sure that if suitably bribed it wouldn't normally be a problem, but owing to the nice weather, the ground crew and station staff have been using the plane as a sun lounger...

WW2-Chronology-307-px800.jpg.c2c83ca38174f3f0659db51dd154410a.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
  • Like 2
  • Funny 6

4 hours ago, KNP said:

8. Build another one but better….well that's the idea but....

That's what I think about my layout every time I look at Little Muddle, pictures of which are what got my other half saying "Why don't you build another model?"

So it's either her fault, or yours, or something.

I'm in the clear, except that I am the one building it...:blink:

• Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Mick Bonwick said:

I just love that casually placed IED.

To be pedantic, it would be a UXB - (Unexploded Bomb). An IED (Improvised Explosive Device) is as the name suggests ‘improvised’ and that thing lying there is far from improvised.

Strange thing to leave lying around though and no doubt it’s been used as a step-up by those on the wing!! :blink:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I follow the Elmore thread, because of the subject matter and I find the modelmaking at the very least educational.

I hope that @Johndc120 won't mind me sharing here and actually putting some railway modelling into this thread! :jester:

I hope that is the right page!

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 26/06/2021 at 22:45, Johndc120 said:

it's just a little bigger than the 1T which I've just done

cranes.jpg.cf7c607b184d33845727a2c93ead812e.jpg

Wow, that is seriously impressive! I have seen a few of those in period goods yard pictures. About 150mm high? 

I'm looking to install something that looks like it was put in prior to 1900.

It's almost a shame to paint and weather it, but it's going to look incredible.

I'm presuming that we are all over forty? A lot of us knew about CNC machining as children (my father was a toolmaker, he hated the job.) but the idea of being able to give a machine a drawing and it would create your object, seemingly out of nothing, that was the stuff of science fiction.

On 26/06/2021 at 23:07, Donw said:

Just explain to her that if Michael Angelo, Turner and the rest had stopped at one painting each how much the world would have missed.

Don

She doesn't mind at all in truth.

I suspect that if I did concoct a grandiose justification for another layout, rather than just announce my intention I would doubtless be reminded that despite her gazelle like stature, she can punch surprisingly hard....:blackeye:

• Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

the idea of being able to give a machine a drawing and it would create your object, seemingly out of nothing, that was the stuff of science fiction.

Witchcraft. 

• Agree 1
  • Funny 6

The whole goods shed / Burrator & Sheepstor thing from earlier turned up this picture of the goods shed at Princeton.

It's gone into the inspiration file. The railway entrance I am guessing was at the back?

7611134_orig.jpg.4a9989cf9b7280e4784ecae5f453d9cf.jpg

princetown-station-03.jpg.f558bccc1194e275136f48e84ec7f0d5.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 25/06/2021 at 18:54, Nick C said:

@MrWolf is your Stuka pilot open to commissions, or does he just do buses? There's a really irritating ice cream van round here...

Great - give the buses a break.  Mine is s*** scared since I posted photos on RM

• Funny 7

On 27/06/2021 at 12:57, Gopher said:

Great - give the buses a break.  Mine is s*** scared since I posted photos on RM

I thought that you had one of those newfangled combine harvesters blocking the bridge at Dewchurch?

Though if you want to #### up country lanes with a rolling roadblock / ambush on every bend, a caravan is much cheaper and just as effective.

• Agree 2
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, MrWolf said:

I thought that you had one of those newfangled combine harvesters blocking the bridge at Dewchurch?

Though if you want to #### up country lanes with a rolling roadblock / ambush on every bend, a caravan is much cheaper and just as effective.

Got two bridges I'm afraid - Combine on one, bus on the other.  Combine is fearless, bus is nervous.  I pretend that caravans do not exist in Dewchurch (or in real life)  :D

• Funny 3