Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Lunchtime today and I had about half an hour before visiting a customer, so I had a look in a secondhand shop that occasionally turns up something interesting.

I scored these two for the asking price of £4 each. Boxed and as good as new.

I'd call it a result. I can put up with the awful brake gear at that price!

IMG_20210630_191725.jpg.1b29b57cdc545471863de63f41e51f08.jpg

Were they advertised as L@@K! R@RE?

Edited by Rowsley17D
  • Funny 3

19 hours ago, wiggoforgold said:

By chance, there's a post by John Chivers on the GWR modellers Facebook group today about the installation of a crane in a model goods shed based on Princetown. 

On the subject of Airfix Stukas, who remembers their original kit of the type? Made the Triang Princess look fine scale.

Alex

Not bothered about the Stukas per se - but I like your avatar. He went like a Stuka yesterday didn't he?!!

• Like 1

On 30/06/2021 at 10:12, Rowsley17D said:

Where they advertised as L@@K! R@RE?

Actually, I bought them because they are rare.

Not that there isn't dozens of them on eBay. No, what makes them rare is the fact that they were about a third of the price of those on eBay.

• Like 4

A bit of progress now in that three of the patched up wagons are complete. The 029 at the back has lever brakes. I have another set of old Kirk sides and a Coopercraft chassis I can build another 4 plank out of , dia. 05 I think. 

IMG_20210702_233501.jpg.b8a56090640db4e5d0ecc9d68dbd5303.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 7

Another relic on the go, a Colin Ashby diagram 018 5 plank wagon from 1919, built by the Royal Arsenal.

It's a simple kit, all the bits are shown here and I have assembled the body. It included some nice cast buffers but that's it. The interior details of bolts and planking is really nice, though the floor is a little short. 

There's also some useful livery details for each period of its existence 1919-60.

I can see why these sort of old kits sell well on eBay, especially as there's very little variety in the way of plastic GWR wagon kits on the market now.

IMG_20210703_012050.jpg.f790ced0b90e054b585434c871de8724.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 7

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Another relic on the go, a Colin Ashby diagram 018 5 plank wagon from 1919, built by the Royal Arsenal.

It's a simple kit, all the bits are shown here and I have assembled the body. It included some nice cast buffers but that's it. The interior details of bolts and planking is really nice, though the floor is a little short. 

There's also some useful livery details for each period of its existence 1919-60.

I can see why these sort of old kits sell well on eBay, especially as there's very little variety in the way of plastic GWR wagon kits on the market now.

IMG_20210703_012050.jpg.f790ced0b90e054b585434c871de8724.jpg

Colin produced some good stuff, both in his own right and also when he took over the Ian Kirk wagon range.

• Agree 1

On 02/07/2021 at 01:48, St Enodoc said:

Colin produced some good stuff, both in his own right and also when he took over the Ian Kirk wagon range.

He certainly did, I particularly like the inclusion of metal buffers. Wheels are something of a personal choice, but detail parts are always welcome.

I take it that Mr Ashby has retired and sold up or no longer with us?

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

I take it that Mr Ashby has retired and sold up or no longer with us?

He has (mostly) retired, he is still very much with us.  He still does a bit of work for the 009 Society, and I am sure they would have heard if anything had happened to him.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Good to hear that he's still around and active. We have lost a lot of the people who helped push the hobby from big train sets into modelling a complete scene in ever finer details during the 1970s and 80s.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 3

Things have been a bit quiet on the layout front recently, but like someone saying "Beetle juice" too often, various bits of life have popped up out of nowhere to cause chaos. 

Besides, I've been having to clean up after those pesky Stukas...

rottingdean_crash-662x432.jpg.1199a7fc5fa6ea71b4c2de057f95c6d1.jpg

Pic: The Evening Argus 1963.

I have managed to get the landforms and station yard worked out and made a start with a support structure for the flat areas.

IMG_20210705_211842.jpg.ec58295d09dab3e69b33bb612316fb21.jpg

I have also got round to one of my least favourite jobs and applied transfers to the three MACAW G flat wagons. Once I had got all the transfers on without making a horse's ar5e of even one, I had to go and lie down for a while...

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 10
  • Round of applause 3

It's a little disconcerting. One set of transfers was about thirty years old.

It's not supposed to work like that.

Have we slipped into a parallel dimension? 

Can I hear Hawkwind playing Silver machine in the background?

IMG_20210705_223018.jpg.e89be608432ad5f923a73efbb146261e.jpg

Now I need a little matt varnish and on to my favourite part, weathering each decking plank and a little grot around the chassis.

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1

The mixed bag of open wagons hasn't been forgotten either. All now have a coat of freight grey.

IMG_20210705_222753.jpg.4ce0f8566eb10d87a53f2f85df5f078c.jpg

Hopefully my fuzzy photo shows the progress. Back row, Kirk basic kit 5 plank, 9'0" WB diagram unknown. Ashby dia 018 7 plank. Front row, Kirk body, Coopercraft chassis, dia 05 ish, Ratio 10' WB dia 029.

I have numerous transfer sheets, I just need to do a little reading up to find out what the numbers should be.

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Don’t forget that general purpose wagons were pooled by your era, so you should have lots of other railways’  opens and vans, but the GWR seemed to value their own wagons above the others, and photographs suggest more GW vehicles than averages suggest would be the case.

Under the common user arrangements, steam coal from South Wales might be used to coal an LNER engine, being carried to the depot via the LMS in a Southern Railway open.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Good point. As the line would have joined the GW/LNW joint line at Craven Arms I have a fair stash of MR/L&Y/LNW/LMS wagons as well as a couple of LNE/H&B and LSW/SR wagons. It's good to know that I can run them without them looking out of place. I don't have anything really in the way of special wagons, I expect that they were rare enough on the main line.

Having researched the area as it would have been prewar, goods in would be coal, perishables and the odd bit of farm equipment and parcels.

Goods out of the Clun Valley would be timber, sheep, some cattle, milk and parcels. Sheep and more sheep, if nearby Broome station was anything to go by.

If you can offer any other prototypical traffic advice, it would be much appreciated.

Edited by MrWolf
Missed a few sheep.
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just to prove that I am listening, a work in progress LMS D.1927 12 ton open. It's the old Ratio kit, virtually falls together. 2mm brass bearings, Bachmann 3 hole disc wheels, Smith's couplings. 

The profanity level required to apply the transfers is about to be tested.

IMG_20210705_232219.jpg.f3c58e7363a29555d363fadb291fdab1.jpg

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Round of applause 1

3 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

That would be nearer fifty, I fear.

It certainly would. I was just thinking about the line from the song - It slides, sideways through time...

I blame having cousins who were a dozen years older than me and my parents for my eclectic and some would say, dated, musical tastes.

• Like 2

All things considered, I am very pleased with how the LMS transfers have turned out, minor profanity due to the letter M cracking slightly on this side, but I got away with it I think.

IMG_20210706_003810.jpg.a7b19ac2618266c4ce1732d9c339a25b.jpg

I've always been a bit ham fisted with transfers and I have little faith in my ability to apply them.

jlbKpLOe_400x400.jpg.5cf80d62d3ca21f8b8fd9c1ab9759b0c.jpg

I could also use a manicure...

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 10
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 3

And the lucky streak is at an end...

The transfers on the 12 ton box van went on reasonably easily until I got to the "Tons" and "Tare" items. 

They just fell apart. I don't feel guilty now, seeing that other modellers of this parish have been having waterslide woes.

IMG_20210706_011218.jpg.e55ea1e38647662caa0494b2736123c3.jpg

fail-red-button-press-light-rejection-failure-3-d-animation_sfvpopolg_thumbnail-1080_09.png.b770c0dc8400c65b61ab05c964585a5d.png

• Friendly/supportive 10