Aston On Clun. A forgotten Great Western outpost.

MrWolf

1 hour ago, Graham T said:

Please tell us more about the forthcoming sheep surgery.  I'm sure lots of people are interested.  I for one am ....

... all ears.  I'll get my coat.

Should be less messy than watching 'The Yorkshire Vet '!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
49 minutes ago, MrWolf said:

Considering how long I have been on RMWeb, I really ought to know better than to mention anything associated with sheep.

Ewe have made a lambentable error there.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

No.

I don't want to buy a #@£*## electric Volvo thank you very much.

Unless it looks like the coupe Roger Moore drove in the original version of The Saint.

Everything that you've made since about 1967 looks like a refrigerator and is about as inspiring.

#@#£&** adverts!

Do you get the 'privacy' blue tab in the bottom left of your screen. If so click it and you can stop the ads, worked for me as I was getting whole page ads every time I selected a notification, if not, sorry that's about the limit of my tech skills.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Spoke too soon. 

They're back.

Grr.

Meanwhile, I am experimenting with making replacement ears out of 5 thou plastikard. Fiddly! 

Progress has been slow, partly because I have no idea what I'm doing and I made the mistake of telling Miss R that I had four dozen ears to chop off.

She said: "Great! I have a list!" stuck a bayonet in her waistband and was out the door...

I suppose I ought to go and look for her.

Edited by MrWolf
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Funny 8

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Graham T said:

I've switched to using Opera on my mobile and that seems better, at the moment.

Mmmmm. Not sure. Never been keen, especially after her interview with Harry and Megan. 

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 12

The sheep have proven to be a source of frustration. Actually getting small bits of microstrip to stick to Subject #1's head as replacement ears is not happening. I think that I need to get some gel superglue.

Miss R finally reappeared around 4.30am, put the bayonet in the dishwasher, burned her clothes and went to bed.

I thought it better not to ask.

As an attempt to achieve something useful and tackle one of the jobs that I have been avoiding, I have started painting the framework of my wooden buildings in Precision Paints dark stone, one wall at a time to maintain sanity.

IMG_20210922_215707.jpg.31ed2b36e5bc3f291ff95d1fe6808e0c.jpg

Railmatch paint isn't actually inaccurate. On studying the colour swatches in GWR structure colours 1912-1947, published by the GWSG. (Copies of which sometimes appear on eBay for the price of an entry level Bentley.) I found that the Railmatch light stone is a good match for light stone No1. Their dark stone is close to Medium Stone No2. Precision Paint dark stone is close to Dark stone No3.

I rather like the salmon pink look of Railmatch light stone, it looks like that I have seen at Didcot.

So it's staying put! :D

Edited by MrWolf
Replaced picture
  • Like 10
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

Nice work on the buildings.

The Precision 'Dark Stone' definitely looks right to me.

This website, I guess, is similar to the GWSG publication? 

https://www.stationcolours.info/great-western-railway/#:~:text=The list of official GWR paints for buildings,Bridge green 6 Steel grey 7 Signal red

It certainly shows the Railmatch 'Dark Stone' colour at number 2. 

It's interesting that it mentions No 2 and No 3 being used alternatively as top coat and undercoat - I've done that!

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, MrWolf said:

That's it for tonight. We've both been burning the midnight oil. I'm told that my late night efforts are play not work, but at least moral support.

The goods shed now has a much better paint job (IMHO!) and to my mind looks much more like it's from a Great Western branch.

IMG_20210923_024820.jpg.6650ff14c1a0740870901b1d0085b2c4.jpg

Bloody damn fine effort. 

KBO

R

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

IMG_20210923_231720.jpg.b05d6fabe795042e6c156bc14f323a4f.jpg

Thank you for your input with the tech information @Nick Goughit confirms what I have read elsewhere.

Still masses to do on the station building. Barge boards, telephone connections, downpipes, signs, doorknobs, more paint and weathering. 

It's actually making me want to get some static grass put down! 

I'm a lot happier with the look of the building now, but suggestions for anything I have missed are most welcome.

image lost.

Edited by MrWolf
Image missing
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3
  • Round of applause 1